9 members have voted
'Tis the season for playoff rosters. I've seen many proposed rosters that have more thought and logic behind them than I can provide. Nevertheless, I have gone through the requisite attempt to settle on my own preferred 25-man squad.
Every time I try, the most interesting Twin in the world, Willians Astudillo is left out. Much to my surprise. I find this perplexing because of how I analyze the 4 possible outcomes:
1. The Twins win with Willians Astudillo
2. The Twins win without Willians Astudillo
3. The Twins lose with Willians Astudillo
4. The Twins lose without Willians Astudillo
Obviously, 1 and 2 are the preferred outcomes, and of course either one of those is just fine by me.
If the Twins lose with Willians Astudillo on the roster (outcome #3) I'll be sad that they lost. But perhaps not surprised - with 10 teams, you're not entitled to the win. But I have to think that whoever Tortuga took that last roster spot from (who is #25?) probably didn't make a massive contribution to the cause.
But if the Twins lose WITHOUT Willians Astudillo, I think that I shall feel cheated. I can't escape the irrational feeling that there's something special / magical about this guy. Perhaps he brings variance to a team that needs variance.
Will I be able to prevent myself from dreaming that the curly-haired turtle wouldn't have done one or more of the following:
1. Collected 5 bases (on 3 swings) in a series-turning game
2. Hit a walk-off bomba from his knee
3. Played 3 different positions in a masterfully-managed extra-inning game
4. Run through Tony Diaz's stop sign to score from first on a madcap, helmet-shedding dash
What say you? Am I mad? Am I so mad that I'm sane? So sane that I'm mad?