Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Spring Training Game Thread: Twins @ Red Sox, 3/27/14 @ 6:05pm CT

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,234 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Gameday forecast: 72 deg, mostly cloudy 1%PoP

Twins:
SP, Correia

lineup to come

Red Sox:
SP, Lackey

Daniel Nava (S) LF
Dustin Pedroia ® 2B
David Ortiz (L) DH
Mike Napoli ® 1B
Grady Sizemore (L) CF
Xander Bogaerts ® SS
A.J. Pierzynski (L) C
Will Middlebrooks ® 3B
Jackie Bradley Jr. (L) RF

Thank You ChiTown for the lineups!!!

ChiTown and I are gonna team up on these Game Thread starters and see how it works.

Thinks to thing about (Intentional juxtaposition):

1. Preseason -- Keep telling yourself over and over... It's only Pre-season. Players are still trying to find themselves... It's only Pre-season... It doesn't matter if the Twins are averaging 0.4 Runs per game... It's only pre-season... It doesn't matter if Josh Willingham is hitting .015 with no home runs... Then Click Your Heels (Hold on to your Dog) and the shoes that you have on will take care of everything for you.

2. Shoes -- If that Clicking of your heels thing doesn't work. You may want to go look for another pair.

3. Jason Kubel -- He's made the roster... OK... Now he can relax and start playing like he made the roster.

4. Xander Bogaerts -- Seriously... Who named him that? I do hope he does well this year... I used one of my keeper spots in my fantasy league to keep him. Here's to eventual SS eligibility to go with his 3B eligibility!!!

5. The Preparation of Food -- My wife has been out of town for the past week. This means that I'm responsible for keeping my 16 year old alive. He's a great young man and I would never torture him but forcing him to eat something I've cooked for him so it's been pretty easy... I've been letting him choose the restaurant and we've had some quality time together. Yeah Yeah... That's a nice story and all...

Here's the main issue. By going out to eat... I've run out of leftovers for lunch. My main job in our household is to finish off the leftovers. I got home for lunch today and there were no leftovers for me to enjoy. I had to step up to the plate and cook something for myself.

I looked around and found a couple of cans of Tuna and we had miracle whip and my plan was born... I haven't had a tuna sandwich in awhile so that was what I decided to cook.

Umm... Here's what I learned today... At some point... It becomes a Miracle Whip sandwich that is tuna flavored if you put too much miracle whip in. I'll do better next time... I've decided to try again tomorrow.

Edited by Riverbrian, 27 March 2014 - 04:18 PM.

When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#2 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

Twins line up:

Brian Dozier ® 2B
Joe Mauer (L) 1B
Oswaldo Arcia (L) RF
Josh Willingham ® DH
Jason Kubel (L) LF
Trevor Plouffe ® 3B
Kurt Suzuki ® C
Aaron Hicks (S) CF
Pedro Florimon (S) SS
"You have no idea how often I contemplate the wavefunction of baseballs. I've
lost whole days to the subject.

Sorry, not a joke,"
++(a pro physics friend)

#3 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

Thanks ChiTown and RB and SSof1.

2. Shoes -- If that Clicking of your heels thing doesn't work. You may want to go look for another pair.

It doesn't work barefoot either. Maybe I should just paint my feet ruby-colored???

I looked around and found a couple of cans of Tuna and we had miracle whip and my plan was born... I haven't had a tuna sandwich in awhile so that was what I decided to cook.

Umm... Here's what I learned today... At some point... It becomes a Miracle Whip sandwich that is tuna flavored if you put too much miracle whip in. I'll do better next time... I've decided to try again tomorrow.

Been there, done that but now I kind of want a tuna sandwich and I don't have any tuna in the house. Oh, well.

#4 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

I got home for lunch today and there were no leftovers for me to enjoy. I had to step up to the plate and cook something for myself.

Mommmm's gone.
Mommmm's gone.
That's what Campbell's soup's for.
Mommmm's gone.

#5 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

Never heard of cooking a tuna sandwich. How does that work, in a pan or in the oven?
Sorry Charlie!

https://encrypted-tb...yVw5sbH8gvwA7k_
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

Any cook can cook. It takes a real chef to not cook.

#7 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

Never heard of cooking a tuna sandwich. How does that work, in a pan or in the oven?
Sorry Charlie!

https://encrypted-tb...yVw5sbH8gvwA7k_

Never had an open face tuna sandwich on a rusk bun slid under the broiler???

I haven't had one since I was a kid but I think it had something to do with "cream of" soup instead of mayo.

#8 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

It would be nice to get this game in. Rains coming close by and may just miss us. Saturday looks bad for playing though.

Maybe we do have hope, Ortiz is hitting about the same as Hammer.

#9 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

Looks like our .4 runs won't be enough tonight.
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Looks like our .4 runs won't be enough tonight.

You can't expect a run every single game!

#11 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

Lackey's ERA this spring is 7.31. Shouldn't the Twins be able to get at least 1 or 2???

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Kubel gets an assist in LF! Smart move to sign him. :whacky028:

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Lackey's ERA this spring is 7.31. Shouldn't the Twins be able to get at least 1 or 2???

Yeah, add a few more points to the ERA, then grab him when he is placed on waivers.

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

I hate facing 7.31 ERA's... Odds are... That thing has to come down.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

I hate facing 7.31 ERA's... Odds are... That thing has to come down.

Too bad we're not in the NL. We never get to face that Kershaw clown, whose ERA is always ripe for a pummeling.

/ except, as has been pointed out I think, this spring, where his ERA is 9-something

#16 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

The Twins should get a handicap.

They shouldn't have to get the runner to home to score, just to 3rd.

It probably wouldn't change that many results -- but it would make it a lot more fun to watch. :)

#17 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

The Twins should get a handicap.

They already have one. It's their...

Wait. Contest. Best answer wins the Internets for +1 day.

#18 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

They already have one. It's their...

Wait. Contest. Best answer wins the Internets for +1 day.

The caps on their heads is pretty handy, isn't it? It keeps their eyes out of the sun.
"You have no idea how often I contemplate the wavefunction of baseballs. I've
lost whole days to the subject.

Sorry, not a joke,"
++(a pro physics friend)

#19 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

On the bright side, Correia having another pretty nice outing (so far).

After last year, though, I still don't think we can judge how the pitchers are doing until they hit the 5th & 6th.

#20 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

On the bright side, Correia having another pretty nice outing (so far).

After last year, though, I still don't think we can judge how the pitchers are doing until they hit the 5th & 6th.

If they hit the 5th or 6th that's great improvement. At least this game is worth staying tuned.

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

Listening to the Red Sox radio feed. The broadcast team is currently trying to puzzle out Bartlett's role. Pinch run for Hammer with Bartlett then let him take over in the outfield, with Escobar still available for infield duty. I guess that's right. Right?

#22 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

Listening to the Red Sox radio feed. The broadcast team is currently trying to puzzle out Bartlett's role. Pinch run for Hammer with Bartlett then let him take over in the outfield, with Escobar still available for infield duty. I guess that's right. Right?

Well, the way Willingham is going, Bartlett won't be very busy in that scenario.

#23 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

With Willi, Arcia and occasionally the Jasons out there, there should be plenty of Web Ungems this year. If Hicks can't hack it, they could end up with a historically bad defensive outfield.

#24 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Overall, I hope that the starting pitchers pick each other up this year. Last season it just seemed like they were in such a downward spiral, nothing could jar them from it.

This year with Deduno in the wings and what seems like a generally elevated staff, I hope that they can stop the bad streaks.

Unfortunately, unless the Twins can find some way to manufacture runs, that doesn't necessarily mean stopping losing streaks. And that's got to be a little demoralizing, too.

#25 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

Well, the way Willingham is going, Bartlett won't be very busy in that scenario.

Ouch.