Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Alex Presley claimed off waivers by Astros

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#41 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,442 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

What is the 40 man roster at right now? 36? 37?

Wonder what they plan on doing with those open spots.

#42 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

Toronto is supposedly shopping Colby Rasmus for starting pitching. Crossing my fingers.... Please?

Egad, no, not that punk, please.

#43 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

There's a rumor that Gardy's still peeved at Hicks and is planning on an outfield of Willingham, Kubel and Arcia - what defense!

I assume this is a joke. Otherwise, you should check whoever told you that rumor for head injuries.

#44 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,389 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Didn't Mastroianni just injure his wrist similar to Buxton?

Mastro dove for a ball 2 days ago and hurt his wrist a bit, but today he was out here with a glove. He's not playing in one of the minor league games today, but told me he'll be fine.

#45 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,389 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

Gardy, Bruno and Vavra were in the tower again today watching the minor league games. Gardy was here yesterday as well.

#46 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 474 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

So they're going with 'flexibility' planning on having both Escobar and Bartlett be super Utility types.

And any offense they can muster With Colabello, Arica, Hicks and Kubel. I get what they're doing, I just wish there was better options to do it with.

#47 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Although puzzling, in a sense it is nice to see the new willingness to cut some marginal players even at risk of losing them. I don't really anticipate it being the norm, but that was one of the things many of us were dreading, with rumors of Arcia getting optioned to AAA to keep guys like this around.

#48 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

What kind of a message does this send to the guys struggling to make it to the big leagues?

When a guy that didn't play ball last year comes into ST, starts off 0-23 and and finishes with some pathetic batting average and still makes the team, it sends the following message: what you do in ST doesn't matter. it's a good ol' boys club and if you aren't in the club, your going back down to the minors.

#49 zwiefz

zwiefz

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

mlbtraderumors says Bartlett has been added to 40 man per Phil Miller

#50 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

I get the willingness to cut marginal players as being refreshing and all... but... at the expense of a 35 year old middle infielder that is going to be used in the outfield for the first time in his career...? Does not compute.

#51 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,686 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

It does mean Arcia and Hicks will be playing every day. That's what people were asking for.

#52 golfboy1

golfboy1

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

I have to say that I have no problems with these moves.

1. I'm a bit confused by the Presley thing. Yet a guy like Presley should be fairly easily attainable in the future. If the Twins had Mastro rather then Presley would people really care. The Bartlett obsession is odd, but perhaps Gardy sees some value in the clubhouse that I wouldn't be able to measure. Bartlett on a 70 Win Team for a year is nothing to lose sleep over.

2. Parmelee's projections for a player with his skillset are brutal. He's a below average hitter with limited defensive value.

3. Diamond probably projects as a long-reliever type. They choose Deduno instead who has a better arm. This says nothing about Duensing being a better bullpen option.

I support these moves

All 3 players performed poorly this spring & are not a big lose but it's still hard to believe they would go with Bartlett & Kubel over them. I mean, those 2 guys have no future beyond now & I can't see them being worth anything in a midseason trade.

Presley has underperformed but now we are stuck with one OF who can play ML level defense & he hasn't proven he can hit. I hope there is some sort of future move coming.

I don't mind the Diamond & Parmelee moves. I'd rather give Colabello a chance over Parmelee . Diamond has been passed by others & Parmelee hasn't ever been able to hit a good fastball.

#53 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,645 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

I think this opens the door to bringing in Morales or Drew.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#54 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

It's official:

• Dustin Morse ‏@Twins_morsecode 4m
    Jason Bartlett has made the team. He will serve as a super utility. #MNTwins

And it IS insane.

I can only think this means that Gardenhire is under a heck of a lot of pressure to win this year.

Makes me want to barf.

#55 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,645 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

All 3 players performed poorly this spring & are not a big lose but it's still hard to believe they would go with Bartlett & Kubel over them. I mean, those 2 guys have no future beyond now & I can't see them being worth anything in a midseason trade.

Presley has underperformed but now we are stuck with one OF who can play ML level defense & he hasn't proven he can hit. I hope there is some sort of future move coming.

I don't mind the Diamond & Parmelee moves. I'd rather give Colabello a chance over Parmelee . Diamond has been passed by others & Parmelee hasn't ever been able to hit a good fastball.

Saying Kubel has no future is a bit disingenuous, he is only a season removed from a 30 HR .833 OPS yeah.

Bartlett...whatever, he sucks now but maybe the Twins see something in him. I still think they end up bringing someone else in for the 25th spot and put Bartlett in AAA

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#56 Dave T

Dave T

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

Diamond -- good riddance. Presley -- showed nothing this spring. Parmalee -- got beat out by Colabello. I don't have a problem with any of those moves.
Bartlett didn't win the job; Gardy gave it to him. My reaction is, it's time to put Gardy on waivers as well. Don't be choosing incompetent veterans as bench players. If Bartlett is any good, let him prove it in AAA. My hope is, Mastroianni proves it in April and is up here in May.

#57 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,236 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

I think this opens the door to bringing in Morales or Drew.

Unlike other roster moves, I don't think you have to open up a spot days in advance for these FA.

#58 S.

S.

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

I can only think this means that Gardenhire is under a heck of a lot of pressure to win this year.

Unfortunately for him (and for us), I don't think Bartlett is going to provide much help in that regard.

#59 josecordoba

josecordoba

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

It's official:

• Dustin Morse ‏@Twins_morsecode 4m
    Jason Bartlett has made the team. He will serve as a super utility. #MNTwins

And it IS insane.

Makes me want to barf.

The development of guys like Arcia, Hicks, Pinto, Gibson, and Meyer will have way more to do with the Twins won/loss record than Jason Bartlett or Kubel. While I'm not a fan of really having either around, they should ulitmately determine very little regarding Ron Gardenhire's job status.

#60 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

It does mean Arcia and Hicks will be playing every day. That's what people were asking for.

I can't argue with that. Arcia is definitely a stater on a 2015 team. Hicks is either going to be good enough for a corner spot, or traded. But playing him will help us find out which of those two makes the most sense.