Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: The Old Man and the Wall

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AJPettersen

AJPettersen

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...an-and-the-Wall

#2 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

AJ, your writing completely engulfs me. Superbly written, but even better the message of life from such a young man. Many search high and low for that endless chase of happiness at the end of the rainbow, only to find it has been there in front of them all along. Your words and message are so well written and spot on that I am forwarding this to my young adult children. I truly hope you find your dream in the big leagues, but I am confident that you will never regret your journey. Yes, life is a journey, not a destination. Thank you and may you have a great season.

#3 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

New Years and new changes lend themselves to contemplation. You do a nice job of capturing some pretty slippery feelings and thoughts.

#4 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

AJ, you are a gifted and thought provoking young man. Well done, Sir.

#5 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Great read these pieces are awesome.

This reminds me of a Alan Watts line of thought. Any journey in life is like a piece of music, one doesn't listen to music for just the end note, the real enjoyment and artistry comes from the entire song and how each note interacts with all the others.

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,411 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

AJ, if I draw parallels to Jim Bouton, I hope you don't take it to mean you should learn to throw a knuckleball.

#7 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

Another one out of the park.
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#8 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

Very thoughtful. Useful to anyone who reads it.

Thanks again, AJ.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

Just excellent as always. It's great to see that AJ's writing is really getting some great feedback.

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,712 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

Great article. This country (and many) are driven to achieve, not to enjoy the journey. I hope you get a chance to enjoy the journey more. I hope you get to live in the moment, not always looking to the future and what it will bring. Life is too interesting, imo, to worry only about the goal, and not the journey.

#11 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Outstanding article AJ. I enjoy reading you here on Twins Daily. I hope in the near future you will be writing here as a member of the Twins.

#12 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Great piece, AJ. Love the burnt wood anecdote. Good luck and enjoy your 2014 baseball season.

#13 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

AJ, after reading this, I'd like to meet you just to shake your hand for this perceptive essay. It's so true that we can miss much of the experience of life, as we do so many things by habit and training. I know exactly what the old man at the park was doing. He was experiencing the sweet purity of throwing a baseball, the feel of nice mechanics and rhythm produce a satisfying whack against the old wall.

'You can beat the wall, but you cannot defeat the wall,' I sometimes say to myself as I hit a couple hundred easy slice backhands against a wall on some dreary summer day. The experience is the endless pursuit of perfect synchronization with the forces that exist around us. The hand produces an easy flip, the ball sails through the air just so. It hits the wall in exactly the right spot, then returns to you for the next one. It is a blissful to perform this ritual, whether or not it helps you win something.

Is that why some baseball players love to practice?

#14 AJPettersen

AJPettersen

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

AJ, your writing completely engulfs me. Superbly written, but even better the message of life from such a young man. Many search high and low for that endless chase of happiness at the end of the rainbow, only to find it has been there in front of them all along. Your words and message are so well written and spot on that I am forwarding this to my young adult children. I truly hope you find your dream in the big leagues, but I am confident that you will never regret your journey. Yes, life is a journey, not a destination. Thank you and may you have a great season.

Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The reason I write stories like this are for people to chew on and think about. There are so many things in life that we all struggle with and we shrug them off or don't even realize it. Being consistently present is a difficult one for myself and for many others. Thank you for the well wishes!

#15 AJPettersen

AJPettersen

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

New Years and new changes lend themselves to contemplation. You do a nice job of capturing some pretty slippery feelings and thoughts.

Thanks John. And thanks for a platform where I can share my thoughts.

#16 AJPettersen

AJPettersen

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

AJ, if I draw parallels to Jim Bouton, I hope you don't take it to mean you should learn to throw a knuckleball.

Well...my 82 mph fastball probably isn't going to cut it.

#17 AJPettersen

AJPettersen

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

AJ, after reading this, I'd like to meet you just to shake your hand for this perceptive essay. It's so true that we can miss much of the experience of life, as we do so many things by habit and training. I know exactly what the old man at the park was doing. He was experiencing the sweet purity of throwing a baseball, the feel of nice mechanics and rhythm produce a satisfying whack against the old wall.

'You can beat the wall, but you cannot defeat the wall,' I sometimes say to myself as I hit a couple hundred easy slice backhands against a wall on some dreary summer day. The experience is the endless pursuit of perfect synchronization with the forces that exist around us. The hand produces an easy flip, the ball sails through the air just so. It hits the wall in exactly the right spot, then returns to you for the next one. It is a blissful to perform this ritual, whether or not it helps you win something.

Is that why some baseball players love to practice?

I will take you up on the hand shaking. In fact, if we are ever in the same town, I'm always up for coffee or lunch. Sounds like you have a great perspective. I find the same bliss at times while practicing baseball.

#18 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Reading this, upon many reflections of my own life philosophies, I was instantly reminded of a surprisingly nice though but breezy day last week when my 14yo son asked me to play catch. This time with glove and ball rather than a football.

And as we joyously did so, I was reminded of two things. I remembered time after time of playing catch with my own father, often under street lights, and the movie Field of Dreams when Costner spoke of refusing to play catch with his father. I know the latter is a drama, but how real it must be for some.

Thank you AJ for your sharing. You write beautifully and share honestly. Without knowing you, but speculating the type of man you appear to be, I not only have moved you to the top of my Twins "hopeful" list to root for, but you have reached the top of my "respected" list. I'm sure your whole family must be very proud of the man you are.

Best of luck this season!

And while I hope for the very best success for you in baseball, I believe, eventually, you have a wonderful career waiting for you in journalism.