Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Worley to the Pirates

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

http://www.startribu.../252317011.html

For undisclosed sum of money. I thought the Twins would let him pitch in AAA and try and figure it out. Sounds like they are only getting money, no prospects back.

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

I'm pretty shocked by this move. I thought they'd try to salvage something out of Worley, not just give up on him entirely.

And it's strange that the Pirates didn't simply claim him when he was placed on waivers just six days ago.

*scratches head*

#3 Dbohnk

Dbohnk

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

I would have thought the Twins would have at least asked for Duke Welker in exchange for Worley.

#4 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hope this clears space for Diamond in Rochester.

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

Very disappointing end result to this.

#6 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Probably was time for him to move on, his tenure with the Twins was nothing short of a disaster and he got absolutely lit up this spring. With Gibson grabbing the 5th spot out of ST, Worley was going to be buried in the org.

I hope he can turn it around (not too much though where we regret it!) in Pittsburgh.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#7 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

This should make up the money they lost yesterday with the rainout.

#8 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 365 posts

Why? What possible reason? I guess they had too many SP for Rochester? To be nice?

I didn't have high hopes for Worley, but I can't come up with a good reason for this move....and neither of the possible reasons I mentioned above seem any good to me.

#9 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 470 posts

I guess the Pirates are going to try and pull another Liriano out of their hat. They seem to have a knack for making our pitchers better. They have their work cut out for them this time.

#10 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Maybe Worley asked for a trade and this was all TR/RA could muster? Just befuddling....

#11 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

Why? What possible reason? I guess they had too many SP for Rochester? To be nice?

I didn't have high hopes for Worley, but I can't come up with a good reason for this move....and neither of the possible reasons I mentioned above seem any good to me.

I'm guessing they did it as a favor to Worley, clearly things weren't working here, nothing wrong with giving the guy a fresh start back in the national league.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#12 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

Get something for a guy who fell apart and lost confidence in MN. Probably gave up hope in trying to re-build himself.

That cash will help later in the year when TField attendance continues its drop. :)

#13 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

Probably was time for him to move on, his tenure with the Twins was nothing short of a disaster and he got absolutely lit up this spring. With Gibson grabbing the 5th spot out of ST, Worley was going to be buried in the org.

I hope he can turn it around (not too much though where we regret it!) in Pittsburgh.

I agree Worely was going to be buried. There are other guys that are going to need a chance and more coming up behind them. It is also hard to move a pitcher that has pitched as poorly as he has the past year and a half.

I also think the Twins have something going on with Pittsburgh and maybe are trying to even out the Morneau trade\rental as it was weird getting a relief pitcher and then a starter. Something didn't seem Quite right there to me.

#14 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

I'm pretty shocked by this move. I thought they'd try to salvage something out of Worley, not just give up on him entirely.

And it's strange that the Pirates didn't simply claim him when he was placed on waivers just six days ago.

*scratches head*

If the Pirates claimed him off waivers, wouldn't he have to be added to their 40-man?

Maybe I'm wrong, but this way they can leave him in the minors without exposing him to waivers again.

Edited by Boom Boom, 25 March 2014 - 05:47 PM.
wow, that's a lot of steak dinners. I'm flattered, but I'm a vegetarian.

#15 jharaldson

jharaldson

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

I'm guessing they did it as a favor to Worley, clearly things weren't working here, nothing wrong with giving the guy a fresh start back in the national league.

If they are doing a favor to Worley then give him his outright release and let him choose where he goes. Trading only for cash is only going to piss off people that think this org is cheap and isn't enough money to make it really worth it.

#16 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

What a difference a year makes. Best of luck in Pittsburgh, Vance.

#17 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

If they are doing a favor to Worley then give him his outright release and let him choose where he goes. Trading only for cash is only going to piss off people that think this org is cheap and isn't enough money to make it really worth it.

That is why I think there is an under the table deal here. If they can turn Worley around look for another trade possibly Presley for a decent prospect. If the they can't turn him around then the Twins keep the money. That is my conspiracy theory on this one. The Twins don't need the cash.

#18 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

How often has any organization ever thrown in the towel on a 26 year old starter just one season removed from two good MLB seasons?

He was very bad last year, but this certainly looks as though the Twins saw something negative in addition to the discouraging numbers.

Edited by LaBombo, 25 March 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#19 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

I guess the Pohlads need the cash, doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#20 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

That is why I think there is an under the table deal here. If they can turn Worley around look for another trade possibly Presley for a decent prospect. If the they can't turn him around then the Twins keep the money. That is my conspiracy theory on this one. The Twins don't need the cash.

Presley? All right. I'll bite. Who's going to play center in the apparently unthinkable scenario where the guy who hit .192 in the majors and .222 in the minors last year doesn't hit well again this year and Mastro gets hurt.

Sounds crazy that both things could happen in same year, but if it did, you'd hate to see the Twins have to do something equally crazy, like trade a veteran for a CF during a losing season just to maintain a little credibility on the field.

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

This team makes it hard not to mock them over their financial moves......but I'm sure the scouts that said they should trade a 24 year old cost controlled 2+ WAR CF for him and a minor league pitcher there is not consensus on (in terms of upside) will get the next one right.....

edited, since I somehow lost part of the post the first time

Edited by mike wants wins, 25 March 2014 - 03:57 PM.

Lighten up Francis....

#22 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

Reason for the trade vs waiver claim.

Worley had no options remaining. If the Pirates claimed him, he would have had to remain on the 25 man roster. By letting him clear waivers and be removed from the 40 man roster, he can now be stashed in the minors or re-traded later without having to pass through waivers again.

Worley's lack of options has now placed him in a sort of limbo. If he is ever re-added to the 40 man roster, he will also need to be on the 25 man roster since he has no options left to send him down to the minors. If he once again is added and removed from the 40 man roster, he would also have the option to become a minor league free agent if he once again clears waivers. He is only a few steps away from becoming a 'journeyman' player, signing minor league deals with spring training invites to try to make a club.

#23 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

He is only a few steps away from becoming a 'journeyman' player, signing minor league deals with spring training invites to try to make a club.

Bill James once said that at any given time, about a tenth of the pitchers in baseball had been "left for dead" at some point in their careers, if I remember right.

Worley is only 26 and has had major league success, so he'll get more than one chance, and probably as a starter at some point since he's probably headed back to AAA.

What's surprising to me isn't that the Twins gave up on him, it's that they did it without any effort to experiment with using him in middle relief

Edited by LaBombo, 25 March 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#24 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

Why is anyone surprised by this? If he can find a way to salvage a career with the lack of talent he has then good for him. By never taking responsibility for terrible outings and blaming horrible spring training starts on wind I doubt that will happen. Good move clearing space on the 40-man.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#25 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

The quote from MLB TradeRumors is: The Pirates have acquired Vance Worley from the Twins in exchange for cash considerations, the club announced.

Are we sure that the that the Twins got money and didn't PAY the Pirates to take Worley off our hands? It's unclear from this statement. (I'm just kidding - okay?)

Edited by ScottyB, 25 March 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Bill James once said that at any given time, about a tenth of the pitchers in baseball were "left for dead", if I remember right.

Worley is only 26 and has had major league success, so he'll get more than one chance, and probably as a starter at some point since he's probably headed back to AAA.

What's surprising to me isn't that the Twins gave up on him, it's that they did it without any effort to experiment with using him in middle relief

Well stated. And yet another trade made at rock bottom value. There must be a corollary to James' "left for dead" theory for teams that don't manage this aspect of pitching depth very well. The Twins are having a pretty amazing knack for producing more than their 1/10 share, only to find many being re-animated at various levels of success around the league.

I am sensing a slight shift in philosophy, giving up so soon on last year's opening day starter, after a much ballyhooed trade. Worely's a mess right now, to be sure, the appalling "blame it on the wind" excuse was pretty telling about where the Vanimal is at right now- but didn't it behoove the Twins to salvage whatever they could from his current state to derive more value than this, whether it be with the Twins or as a trading chip? I guess they think they can't damage their PR situation any worse by basically admitting another mistake.

At this point, Trevor May really needs to come through this year in Rochester, if, by contrast, Revere stays healthy all year and puts up a 2-3 WAR season.

Edited by jokin, 25 March 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#27 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

I wasn't a fan of acquiring Worley in the first place.

That said, this makes little sense to me. He was already through waivers and off the 40 man. He's only 26, and has at least some major league success.

Why give away something that has no real cost to keep, a year after paying a pretty decent price to acquire it? Rochester's pitching staff hasn't got room for him?

If he was good enough to trade for, and put atop the rotation just last season, he's too good to toss aside now.

And if he is too bad to keep (for nothing) now, whoever recommended and/or approved the trade last season has some explaining to do.

#28 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Why is anyone surprised by this? If he can find a way to salvage a career with the lack of talent he has then good for him. By never taking responsibility for terrible outings and blaming horrible spring training starts on wind I doubt that will happen. Good move clearing space on the 40-man.

He wasn't on the 40. That's what the waiver thing was about.

As for surprise, how about that he was only 26 and was coming off an injury more serious than everyone was willing to cut Hicks slack for in AAA?

Or that even after last year's clunker he still has a higher career WAR average than either Pelfrey or Correia, and a higher career WAR total than the other eight 2013 starters combined?

#29 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

I wish Worley would have turned out better I feel kinda bad for him. So what does that leave for a AAA rotation? Meyer May, Darnell, Johnson and Gilmartin?

#30 JustinCB

JustinCB

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

Good move clearing space on the 40-man.

He was already off the Twins' 40 man after clearing waivers. They could have stashed him in the minors without any consequences to the major league roster.