Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Monday Morning Roster Cuts

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ing-Roster-Cuts

#2 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

Not excited about Kubel making the roster, but he has enough history as a decent hitter that I'll let a SSS spring training record not be the deciding factor. I just hope he's on a short leash once the season gets going though. We have to transition to younger guys over mediocre veterans, so Kubel has to produce or move on.

4 players still to go. Rohlfing is one, obviously. Either Bartlett or Presley is another. Scott Diamond/Kyle Gibson/Caleb Thielbar is the 3rd. Parmelee or Colabello is the 4th? My guess is Bartlett is let go, Thielbar is optioned, and Colabello is optioned.

#3 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

I think Diamond should be the pitcher to go. I know that Thielbar has options but he had such a great year last year in his role and hasn't disappointed this spring. If the Twins are trying to make the best roster, Diamond is waived (hopefully returns to Rochester) and Thielbar heads north.

It will be tough to figure out which 2 position players head out with Rohlfing.

#4 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

Really only 27 players to worry about. I don't see Bartlett making the team and Rohlfing is just there to play catch.

Congratulations to Pinto. I like our two-car garage catching rotation.

I think Hicks is going to make the team. That should mean two spots for Colabello, Kubel or Parmelee. The last slot comes down to Diamond or Thielbar and Thielbar has options.

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

What's the difference between being optioned and being reassigned to minor league camp?

#6 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

That should mean two spots for Colabello, Kubel or Parmelee.

Thinking more, this is really Kubel or Parmelee. Colabello has been hitting well, backs up 1B and platoons with the other DH.

Kubel has a better track record but is nearing the end of his career and is a poor defender. Parmelee hasn't really proven he belongs but still has some potential. This will be a tough call but my guess is Parmelee gets cut.

#7 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

What's the difference between being optioned and being reassigned to minor league camp?

Players who are on a minor league contract are by definition not on the 40 man roster and are just reassigned to minor league camp. Players on the 40 man roster have to stay with the team or can be "optioned" to the minors up to 3 times in their career.

#8 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

My guess is Bartlett is let go, Thielbar is optioned, and Colabello is optioned.

I agree with this.

If Kubel and/or Parmelee stink it up we can cut bait and bring up Colabello. I recall Diamond be okay once through the order and gets shelled the 2nd through. Maybe he can establish himself as a reliever. The only problem with this is that the bullpen will be made up of 3 Long Relievers (Swarzak, Deduno and Diamond).

#9 birddog

birddog

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

I am very happy that Pinto has made the team. On a team that can't score, we need his bat. And I think we need Colabello's as well. Not quite sure why we have to worry about losing players without options. If they can't make the Twins 25-man roster why would anyone else claim them? We might just as well open up some 40-man roster spots.

#10 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

I'm disappointed that Tonkin was sent down. Not completely surprised, but disappointed. Interesting that it might be a battle between Bartlett and Presley? Not sure what I think of that but seeing the two of them play the last couple of weeks, I'd honestly take Bartlett over Presley. But man, to me when that is your choice, well, hmm.

#11 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

Thinking more, this is really Kubel or Parmelee. Colabello has been hitting well, backs up 1B and platoons with the other DH.

Kubel has a better track record but is nearing the end of his career and is a poor defender. Parmelee hasn't really proven he belongs but still has some potential. This will be a tough call but my guess is Parmelee gets cut.

While I agree that Colabello should head North, he is the one most likely to get optioned just because the can with out risking losing anybody.

#12 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

I'm sad, this looks like a bad team at this point.

#13 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

I'm not sure if my comment was deleted the other day but I vented a little bit about Gardy and his enabling tendencies. I don't think I said anything inappropriate but here it goes again. Gardy still has Bartlett on the roster...why? Because he's a "veteran" and he's comfortable with him. He does this far too often and I'm getting so frustrated with it. I miss the days of Tom Kelly where he drops guys to the minors for not doing the little things (sac flies, sac bunts, hitting the other way, etc.). Veterans are given far too much leeway in comparison to the youngsters and the veterans barely get blamed in comparison as well. If he really bats Suzuki second, I will be very, very disappointed.

So, you want to keep Kubel on the roster? Fine, I get it. He's two years removed from good production. Colabello deserves a spot with his production. Parmalee should be traded or be attempted to sneak through waivers. I'm just getting so sick of Gardy's unwillingness to adjust to modern baseball strategies (platooning, sabermetrics, etc.). Gardy is far too old school and in my opinion, this needs to be his last year.

#14 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

Not excited about Kubel making the roster, but he has enough history as a decent hitter that I'll let a SSS spring training record not be the deciding factor. I just hope he's on a short leash once the season gets going though. We have to transition to younger guys over mediocre veterans, so Kubel has to produce or move on.

4 players still to go. Rohlfing is one, obviously. Either Bartlett or Presley is another. Scott Diamond/Kyle Gibson/Caleb Thielbar is the 3rd. Parmelee or Colabello is the 4th? My guess is Bartlett is let go, Thielbar is optioned, and Colabello is optioned.

I agree that its a 3 battle scenario to go. Bartlett vs Presley, Diamond vs Theilbar vs (Gibson I guess), Parmelee vs Kubel

Of these I would keep Presley, Diamond and Gibson and the last one is a toss up but probably Kubel. Theilbar deserves to come north but this way we keep another potential starter a little while longer.

#15 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Bartlett vs Presley

Bartlett makes little sense in the OF compared to Presley. Presley complements Hicks as a platoon and has much more defensive experience in the OF than Bartlett.

The Twins could grab another 4th OF off waivers from another team or make a trade (Diamond for De Aza?).

Edited by DJL44, 24 March 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

I think the Twins come to their senses and reassign Kubel.

I'm glad the Twins aren't going with three catchers, but there will still be some linering hesitation by Gardy to pinch hit Pinto, so I think Colabello is nearly a given now as a RH bench option. That would leave one spot for Kubel or Parmelee, and while Kubel has history here, Parmelee has a long track record with this organization as well, I don't think they lose him simply to give the under-performing Kubel a token roster spot.

I agree with most everyone else that Bartlett and Tonkin also get the pink slips.

#17 Steve_h

Steve_h

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]Gardy still has Bartlett on the roster...why? Because he's a "veteran" and he's comfortable with him. He does this far too often and I'm getting so frustrated with it. I miss the days of Tom Kelly where he drops guys to the minors for not doing the little things (sac flies, sac bunts, hitting the other way, etc.).[/COLOR]

Do we know Gardy has made this call? I think it's quite likely that FO listens to Gardy's recommendation but doesn't always make the call he wants. Several of these cuts, IMO, don't look like a Gardy call.

#18 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

Here's a fun idea. The Yankees have said Ichiro is available and is willing to be a LH hitting 4th OF. I'd deal Diamond for Ichiro if the Yankees pay half the salary.

#19 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:49 AM

Gardy still has Bartlett on the roster...why? Because he's a "veteran" and he's comfortable with him. He does this far too often and I'm getting so frustrated with it. I miss the days of Tom Kelly where he drops guys to the minors for not doing the little things (sac flies, sac bunts, hitting the other way, etc.). Veterans are given far too much leeway in comparison to the youngsters and the veterans barely get blamed in comparison as well.

Well they gave Guerrier his walking papers. I was always under the impression that Gardy loved Guerrier. Seems like that would contradict this belief.

#20 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Chris Herrmann being optioned was the surprise for me. With all of Gardy's talk about flexibility and having a versatile bench, I thought Herrmann was a sure bet to make the team.

I've given up fretting over Kubel making the team. I'd start with Colabello as the DH and allow Kubel to heat up in AAA before giving him the job, but I guess the coaching staff / front office feels Kubel can and will heat up. I'll defer to their judgement on that one.

I'll be interested to see if the Twins snag someone else's 4th OF off of waivers or if they are willing to use Bartlett as a super utility player. I just don't feel like Presley is making the team after his poor spring.

#21 CRArko

CRArko

Visiting Castle Anthrax

• Members
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationCamelot? 'Tis a silly place.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

Bartlett is probably there in case Florimon has recovery issues. That looks unlikely.

Kubel seems to be a lock at this point, using the 40-man spot vacated by Worley. If he puts up numbers comparable to Morneau or Doumit the past couple of years they'll get their money's worth.

It looks like the final spot is Parmelee/Colabello as backup first baseman. I'll guess Parm because of the option situation. Diamond to the pen for the same reason.

It's likely things will be reevaluated around the end of April when Terry Ryan has completed his treatments.

#22 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

Do we know Gardy has made this call? I think it's quite likely that FO listens to Gardy's recommendation but doesn't always make the call he wants. Several of these cuts, IMO, don't look like a Gardy call.

Very glad that Pinto made the team.

Here are the battles as I see them:

Bartlett versus Florimon. If Bartlett has a good last week I could see Pedro going down. I am guessing he still has options. Otherwise it makes no sense to me why Barlett is still here. I don't know if a 34 year old SS that has been out of baseball for 1.5 years is going to see reps in CF.

Pressley versus Kubel OR Collabello versus Parmelee

Diamond versus Duensing versus Thielbar. I could see either Diamond or Duensing being traded this week.

The most likely scenario I see is CC and Pedro/Bartlett is sent down. What worries me here is if Pinto gets 50% of the catcher reps, here is your bench half the time:

Suzuki, Pressley, Escobar, Parmalee/Kubel. That asumes everyone is healthy and not day to day. On days where Josh is day to day with back soreness or whatever, you have Suzuki, Escobar, and Pressley. Yikes.

Edited by tobi0040, 24 March 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#23 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

I think Diamond is going to make a great long reliever. He reminds me of a younger Duensing. If you look at his numbers, he seems to always get hit hard the second time through the lineup but does great the first couple/three innings. I would love to have him as the primary long reliever. Bartlett is done. Let him go! Parmelee is tough to gauge...would I prefer him over Kubel? Not sure...but he's younger and with similar production and flexibility to play OF and 1B so...yes, I probably prefer him over Kubel but let's be honest. That's not going to happen!

#24 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

Even with better pitching this team doesn't look good. To many players getting sent down to keep lesser players that have had enough chances and couldn't get it done. I was hoping for a 500 record but I don't see it.

#25 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

Even with better pitching this team doesn't look good. To many players getting sent down to keep lesser players that have had enough chances and couldn't get it done. I was hoping for a 500 record but I don't see it.

I agree. As I look at the roster and the options to pick from, it all adds up to a long season no matter who makes the team and who gets send down/released.

#26 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

Why is Bartlett still here?? Dreadful spring training. Done nothing last two years.

This is the year that Twins start building the next division winning roster. Kubel (only slightly better than Bartlett) is not part of that picture. He should have been gone. Parmalee needs to get consistent playing time to see if he is part of that roster. If you keep Kubel over Parmalee you gain nothing.

So now we are down to 26 guys--dropping Rohlfing, Bartlett and Kubel. Last cut--let this week's pitchers determine it.

I agree with others--why didn't Tonkin (part of the future contender) make team??

#27 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

According to the Pioneer Press' Mike Berardino: "Twins' Jason Kubel expects to play outfield often"

http://www.twincitie...-outfield-often

#28 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

I'm not the best person to answer but here goes. Anyone who can correct or clarify for me would be appreciated.

The difference is major league service time. Players reassigned are minor league players without using an option. Major league players with options are optioned to the minors, using an option. Major league players with all of their options used, are designated for assignment or released. DFA'd players can be claimed by other teams, or passed through waivers.

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,753 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Why is Bartlett still here?? Dreadful spring training. Done nothing last two years.

This is the year that Twins start building the next division winning roster. Kubel (only slightly better than Bartlett) is not part of that picture. He should have been gone. Parmalee needs to get consistent playing time to see if he is part of that roster. If you keep Kubel over Parmalee you gain nothing.

So now we are down to 26 guys--dropping Rohlfing, Bartlett and Kubel. Last cut--let this week's pitchers determine it.

I agree with others--why didn't Tonkin (part of the future contender) make team??

I believe that it has to do with trying to keep this team interesting enough to keep b*tts in the season longer and stop the "ticket sale bleed" (season tickets and individual tickets). I also think that some of the brass may believe that a familiar name like Kubel could contribute to stopping that bleed.

I think they believe that ticket sales are more tied to how palatable the product is now rather than on hopes for what it could be in a year or two.

I'm not saying that is right (and it certainly isn't what I would prefer) but I think that is what is happening.

#30 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,739 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

I'm not sure if my comment was deleted the other day

You should have received a Private Message in conjunction with that. Check the Notifications link up near the top of most TD pages. PM me if somehow it didn't get delivered. Normally I don't discuss individual actions in public but I'm not sure another PM to you would be received.