Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Hicks, Arcia, Gibson, and Pinto..

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 KirbyHawk75

KirbyHawk75

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

These 4 are sort of the first wave of the rebuilding of the Twins franchise. I want the Twins to be better this year.. That means a lot. But a bigger key, in my opinion, is finding out if these 4 can be a big part of our future..

Agree?

Edited by KirbyHawk75, 23 March 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Hicks, Arcia, Gibson, and Pinto..

All make the team?.. :)

#3 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

I think they all do make the team. Most shaky would be Gibson.

Interestingly, Gardy seemed to talk up Herrmann as one of his bench players today.

Rhett Bollinger
‏@RhettBollinger

Gardenhire hinted that Chris Herrmann could make the club based on his versatility. Would also allow Pinto serve as DH on occasion.

Mike Berardino
‏@MikeBerardin
o

Gardy on Herrmann: "Everybody forgets about his name. I see all you guys writing stuff. You forget about that guy. He’s pretty darn good."

#4 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hicks and Pinto - the Twins need offense wherever they can find it.

I've been a fan of Hicks starting in AAA. No more.

We need all the help we can get on offense and his upside has to be leveraged.

I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,136 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

I think they all do make the team. Most shaky would be Gibson.

Interestingly, Gardy seemed to talk up Herrmann as one of his bench players today.

Rhett Bollinger
‏@RhettBollinger

Gardenhire hinted that Chris Herrmann could make the club based on his versatility. Would also allow Pinto serve as DH on occasion.

Mike Berardino
‏@MikeBerardin
o

Gardy on Herrmann: "Everybody forgets about his name. I see all you guys writing stuff. You forget about that guy. He’s pretty darn good."

There's a reason every writer "writing stuff" forgets his name. Mediocrity. What is there about his MLB slash of (admittedly SSS) .189/.268/.297/.565 and AAA slash of .227/.297/.312/.609. that leads anyone to "remember" that he's "pretty darn good?"

"Verssatile" mediocrity isn't all that valuable, but hey, it gives Gardy his beloved 3rd catcher, so I guess another roster spot has been determined. While this move is a wasted roster spot in my mind, on the bright side, it gives Pinto a chance to try out for the RH DH role. This move, plus Hermann playing some 1B in ST, has to cause some sleepless nights for both Colabello and Parmelee.

#6 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Terry should pull a Beane and trade Herrmann to the Tigers for a bucket of balls.

#7 KirbyHawk75

KirbyHawk75

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

I just personally believe that if we are going to lose, lose with young players. I do not want us to lose with Jason Kubel and Jason Bartlett. I want us to lose with these four and other young players(Tonkin for example). Then next year when Sano, Meyer, Buxton, Santana, May, and Rosario are ready the aforementioned players can be more established.

#8 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

I just personally believe that if we are going to lose, lose with young players. I do not want us to lose with Jason Kubel and Jason Bartlett. I want us to lose with these four and other young players(Tonkin for example). Then next year when Sano, Meyer, Buxton, Santana, May, and Rosario are ready the aforementioned players can be more established.

I would amend this slightly to "lose with young players that are ready". The occasional vet that can pull out a decent season and get flipped for a guy at the deadline does have a ton of value to a rebuilding team.

#9 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

Three catchers = only 2 non-catcher bench players. Hmmm

#10 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

Three catchers = only 2 non-catcher bench players. Hmmm

The possibilities for that equation have me tingling........................or numb, I can't tell.

#11 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

The possibilities for that equation have me tingling........................or numb, I can't tell.

Yup. And as I noted in another thread, with that bench and Willi and Kubel in the lineup, we will inevitably see a pinch runner selection that is either hilarious or appalling.

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Yup. And as I noted in another thread, with that bench and Willi and Kubel in the lineup, we will inevitably see a pinch runner selection that is either hilarious or appalling.

How are Scott Diamond's wheels? Maybe that's his edge for being with the team on Opening Day. :)

#13 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

How are Scott Diamond's wheels? Maybe that's his edge for being with the team on Opening Day. :)

I know that was said in jest, but I've always wondered why you don't occasionally see something like that. I have to believe somewhere or other there's a starting pitcher on an off day who's still much faster than some of the guys we see lumbering around the bases late in games. Probably happens more often than I realize, honestly, but I'm way too lazy to go looking for the answer.

It's kinda looking like, at this point, all four (Hicks, Gibson, Arcia, Pinto) should be on the roster. That's a positive, like most I fell like they really need to be getting every opportunity possible at this point as we start turning over the roster to younger guys. You don't want everyone getting their feet wet in the majors at the same time, spread it out a little bit.

Edited by ericchri, 24 March 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

Pitchers do pinch run, every now and then. I don't think superior speed, if someone has it, will be any pitcher's edge for making the roster, and I don't know if Diamond has teh skillz. But it can happen. The jest was just for a roster decision for a guy clearly on the bubble.

#15 CRArko

CRArko

Consulting Detective

• Members
  • 1,536 posts
  • LocationRight here, silly.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Jim Kaat used to pinch run quite a bit. Kitty was a decent hitter too, if I recall.

#16 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

I saw Mike Hampton pinch run when I was a little kid. Ironically I believe it was against eventual champion Arizona Diamondbacks. I got to see the Big Unit and The Bloody Sock in the same series, and no one else was there. Nice ballpark, crappy team. (or maybe I dreamt that but I was pretty sure it had happened, dude was an athlete, Hampton that is).

#17 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Gardy confirmed today that the Twins will go with 12 pitchers and two catchers. Also confirmed: Escobar, Presley, Kubel. So it's between Colabello and Parmelee for the bench bat.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#18 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

I saw Mike Hampton pinch run when I was a little kid. Ironically I believe it was against eventual champion Arizona Diamondbacks. I got to see the Big Unit and The Bloody Sock in the same series, and no one else was there. Nice ballpark, crappy team. (or maybe I dreamt that but I was pretty sure it had happened, dude was an athlete, Hampton that is).

Pretty respectable hitter as well, .650 OPS in his 850 trips to the plate.

#19 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

Pretty respectable hitter as well, .650 OPS in his 850 trips to the plate.

Can he play SS?