Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins To Name Gibson Fifth Starter

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

It seemed apparent when the Twins listed their starters for the next five games (Diamond and Deduno were not among them) but La Velle has it from a source that the Twins will soon announce Kyle Gibson as their fifth starter. Per LEN3, Deduno will open in the bullpen. Scott Diamond's fate is unclear.

The Twins have said all along they want to take the best guy north regardless of the options situations, and this signifies that they meant it.

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Good.
Lighten up Francis....

#3 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

Looking forward to seeing what he can do now that he is further removed from TJ and starting fresh at the beginning of the season.

And Deduno seems like he could be a real weapon out of the pen.

#4 CRArko

CRArko

Citizen of the Cosmos

• Members
  • 1,425 posts
  • LocationThe outer edge of the Milky Way.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

This makes me smile. :)

#5 UCLA_YANKEE_COLA

UCLA_YANKEE_COLA

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

I was prepared to be frustrated by Gibson starting in AAA. This is good news, finally.

#6 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

Im very happy with this but how in the heck did Pelfrey earn a spot over Deduno.

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

I hoped this is what would happen. Gibson can be a nice complementary piece to our rebuilt team and is a clear part of the future. Deduno is a nice story - and could be pretty effective out of the bullpen - but he's just a journeyman.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

Im very happy with this but how in the heck did Pelfrey earn a spot over Deduno.

There was no competition for Pelfrey's #4 spot in the rotation. The top four were givens. The competition was for the fifth spot.

It's like, there's no competition for the Twins for the starting first base job.

#9 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

Scholarship $$$

#10 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

So, Scott Diamond is . . .

put in the bullpen
waived
asked to slip in the shower and sprain his ankle.

#11 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...n-Fifth-Starter

#12 jharaldson

jharaldson

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

It's not like Pelfery pulled a Worley this spring, he has nearly a 2/1 K/BB ratio, an ERA around 2.5, and has shown decent stuff. If it was a competition, which it wasn't, it still would have been a tough call.

#13 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

put in the bullpen (to take the spot from Duensing)
waived

Please let this be the case. I just don't trust Duensing. The runs charged to Diamond last night belong to Duensing.

#14 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

put in the bullpen
waived

"Asked", "Pushed" same thing. ;)

I like the move. Gibson deserves to be a starter and I think Deduno can be quite good out of the 'pen.

#15 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

"Asked", "Pushed" same thing. ;)

I like the move. Gibson deserves to be a starter and I think Deduno can be quite good out of the 'pen.

Anytime a more talented player with options makes the team over a less talented player out of options, I am glad to see it.

#16 savvyspy

savvyspy

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

Gibson as #5 and Deduno in the pen sounds like the right approach.

Worley and Diamond have had an entire year and spring to get their acts together and have failed to solidify their places. Its time to move on or if they clear waivers stick them in Rochester.

#17 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

Love this move. I think Deduno will be better in the bullpen. Plus he's right there if we need another starter.

It will be interesting to see if Worley makes in through waivers.

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

Bully for Kyle.

Also, this is a good example of why we shouldn't dwell on statements made by the front office in the first week of March. Or put too much stock in anything in the first week of March, really.

#19 Steve_h

Steve_h

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

It's good news for Gibson. I wonder if this means Diamond will be DFA'd. Is there room in the pen for both Diamond and Deduno?

#20 Dbohnk

Dbohnk

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

I am glad to see the Twins bringing the best players north. I had a fear that they were going to keep all of these out of options players on the roster while more talented guys wasted away in Rochester. I wonder if this means anything for the final bench spot on the team.

#21 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

Rare occasion where spring training is used to earn a spot. Ideally this does happen rarely. I would have thought they would stretch Deduno out more. I wonder if this was actual midrange planning. Since they tend to give the rotation plenty of starts (Worley was given 10 last year) to prove things one way or another I wonder if their plan is to make Meyer the first option to replace a failed starter. I hope they all pitch so well there is no place for Meyer but my bet is on Correia. I am hoping it is not Hughes or Gibson.

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Shocked! And ecstatic to be wrong about this........huzzah for another reason to tune in to this team!!!

#23 highlander

highlander

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

if you are serious about being a champion, you have to make this move. I hope the rotation saws wood till the lumber catches up. Who knows maybe we have a pennant race!!!!

#24 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

Like that Gibson made it, tough to see Deduno get snubbed though. His stats over the past 2 seasons suggest he should crack this starting 5 easily plus his stuff just looks nasty, but he doesn't have the big name or the big contract. I'm sure he'll get some starts though eventually one way or another.

#25 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

if you are serious about being a champion, you have to make this move. I hope the rotation saws wood till the lumber catches up. Who knows maybe we have a pennant race!!!!

Whoa, whoa, whoa...a pennant race?

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,735 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

Who knows maybe we have a pennant race!!!!

Check the score of today's Nolasco start in Ft Myers before sending in your deposit on playoff tickets. :)

#27 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

I'm happy to see the front office take the best pitcher regardless of risk of losing an asset. I wonder how Worley, Diamond, and Deduno pan out. Worley and Deduno seem to have the most trade value.

#28 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

Posted Image Originally Posted by highlander Posted Image

Playoffs?

http://www.bleachern...-mora-playoffs/

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

I'm happy to see the front office take the best pitcher regardless of risk of losing an asset. I wonder how Worley, Diamond, and Deduno pan out. Worley and Deduno seem to have the most trade value.

I see Worley was waived. Never mind

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

Like that Gibson made it, tough to see Deduno get snubbed though. His stats over the past 2 seasons suggest he should crack this starting 5 easily plus his stuff just looks nasty, but he doesn't have the big name or the big contract. I'm sure he'll get some starts though eventually one way or another.

Initially, I thought the fifth starter job would go to Deduno but upon further thought, this makes more sense...

Starting off the season with Gibson as the fifth starter gives him regular innings in the majors, something Kyle badly needs to succeed in the long-term.

Deduno, on the other hand, is more experienced and should be able to shift from long relief to spot-starting without much difficulty, plus it mitigates some of his injury risk.

I don't think either option is a bad one but I am happy to see the front office show confidence in Kyle.