Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Berardino: Tough Talk from Rob Antony

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Ready For Baseball

• Members
  • 4,377 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

Twinsights: Twins exec Rob Antony wishes somebody would do something to win a job

http://blogs.twincit...g-to-win-a-job/

I'm sure we all wish they'd step up and earn a job, too.

It seems to me that the lack of luster doesn't apply only to those mentioned in this article. Starting pitching aside (for now), the whole team has seemed pretty lackluster.

edit by Brock Beauchamp:
This thread is getting out of hand. If this tone continues, we're going to start issuing infractions and warnings. This thread is not an open invitation to start whipping the front office for the umpteenth time.

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Yes, it would be nice if they had good players.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#3 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,820 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

At least you didn't say Mark Antony.

Gibson and Deduno have taken steps. Hicks looked a lot more confident at the plate today against the Cards. Pinto showed some smarts behind the plate, I thought.

Willingham and Plouffe are the ones I'm concerned about. Gotta have right-handed power at TF.

#4 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Ready For Baseball

• Members
  • 4,377 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Willingham and Plouffe are the ones I'm concerned about. Gotta have right-handed power at TF.

Interesting that its the ones "competing" for a job who got called out but nothing about some of the "regulars".

I know that they are expected to perform to a certain level regardless of how they look in the spring. On the other hand, they could provide some leadership for the guys who are "in competition".

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

At least you didn't say Mark Antony.

Why not? Look what he's done for the Dolphins with his Latin Community outreach.

Posted Image

#6 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

Still kind of hoping that Antony does something to earn his job...

#7 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

You could throw money at Drew! But, yes, the hitters are not cementing themselves into full-time jobs. When Chris Hermann is the spring training surprise, something ain't right!
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#8 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

I have to agree with Anthony for the most part. Kind of nice that he isn't glossing over it. There are some guys that are performing pretty well at least at the plate. CC is batting 400, I think Herman and Pinto are batting in the high 300's.

It is interesting to me that the young guys seem to be doing so much better at the plate than the more experienced guys. I know it is only spring training but you would think they could go up blind folded and do better than one or two hits.

Pretty much every poster on this board thought that offense was going to be problematic this year. I am not sure what Mr. Anthony expected?

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Well, he could give a kick in the tail to some of the guys who already have a job guaranteed. (I have enclosed a couple tools he could use to motivate, if not embarrass):

Kubel ST slash: .080/.233/.200/.433
Willy ST slash: .080/.172/.120/.292
Bartlett ST slash: .037/.133/.037/.170
Butera ST slash: .182/.400/.545/.945

Drew says: "Suck on that, my former Homies, I'm better than all you guys, combined."

Posted Image

Edited by jokin, 19 March 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Interesting that its the ones "competing" for a job who got called out but nothing about some of the "regulars".

I know that they are expected to perform to a certain level regardless of how they look in the spring. On the other hand, they could provide some leadership for the guys who are "in competition".

The unfortunate par for the course. The Twins have always been awful about this. On the plus side, at least these are veteran fringe players they are beating on for a change.

#11 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

This team makes me sad!!!!!

https://encrypted-tb...0mu2Q0wLkwbeX_6

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

I've questioned Antony's qualifications before, but he gets a gold star in my book for calling out these guys. Now if he started calling out the guys who continually signed underperforming players....

#13 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

I will say this about Terry Ryan: he takes responsibility for the product on the field. I have never heard him blame players by name like this before. Unbelievable. I hope this isn't our GM in the waiting.

#14 jimv2

jimv2

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Well, he could give a kick in the tail to some of the guys who already have a job guaranteed...:

Kubel ST slash: .080/.233/.200/.433
Willy ST slash: .080/.172/.120/.292
Bartlett ST slash: .037/.133/.037/.170
Butera ST slash: .182/.400/.545/.945

I REALLY hope you're wrong and that Kubel/Bartlett don't have guaranteed jobs. But the bigger question is who in their right mind is walking Butera all the time? And will any pitcher doing that have a major league job? I am much higher on Butera than most people here, but this is baffling.

#15 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

I will say this about Terry Ryan: he takes responsibility for the product on the field. I have never heard him blame players by name like this before. Unbelievable. I hope this isn't our GM in the waiting.

Yeah, bad policy usually, and especially for a guy like Hicks who's not doing poorly and needs all the confidence he can get if they're going to throw him into the fire again.

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

I REALLY hope you're wrong and that Kubel/Bartlett don't have guaranteed jobs. But the bigger question is who in their right mind is walking Butera all the time? And will any pitcher doing that have a major league job? I am much higher on Butera than most people here, but this is baffling.

I fear the worst. Bartlett is Gardy's new Super-UTIL guy and Kubel gets the spot because he's good in the clubhouse, and the Twins would never reneg on a handshake agreement. But hey, at least they stopped the pretend-game with the offseason Eric Fryer-crush- so maybe there's hope.

Re Butera, the Dodgers seem to have brought out his inner-Mike (Scioscia or Piazza, take your pick). NL pitchers beware.

Edited by jokin, 19 March 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#17 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

Who's stepped up? Deduno, Gibson, Pinto and Colabello, they have earned their spots

#18 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

I really don't get the "they just have to step up and earn this" thing... I have no doubt that all of these guys want it... In the case of Bartlett and Kubel, unfortunately I think they are done.

#19 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

Antony can pop off all he wants, but the Management has done nothing to improve this lineup.

Edited by Highabove, 19 March 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#20 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

The good thing is that it is only spring training. The bad thing is that almost everything is built on hope and player development with the Twin's line-up.

I cannot think of one player, other than Joe Mauer, who does not have question marks attached to them.

The front office is going to live or die by the sword on their hope philosophy.

I hope it works out or this will be an awful season of Twin's baseball to watch... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.