Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Kyle Gibson

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 minnymadness

minnymadness

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

Watching the game today against a full cardinal lineup today and wow does Kyle Gibson look good! Reminds me a lot of nick Blackburn in his hay days. A guy who's sinker is hard and sharp when down in the zone. The difference is that Gibson throws slightly harder and has a good slider to go with that sinker.

Im in not saying send Gibson north but I really think 2014 is going to be a big yr for Gibson and he should be the first option when a starter goes down and or a starter struggles. Seen enough of diamond and Worley time to look at Gibson May and Meyer as the starting options to come up when guys struggle or go down with injury.

#2 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,879 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

Welcome to the board.

Gibson does look good today. The way we all hoped he'd look last summer. Hopefully he'll continue to look good and we'll get to see a lot of him with the Twins this season.

#3 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

Really heartening to see Gibson have so much success this spring. Almost zero chance for him to be in the rotation with so many guys out of options, but very good news for the future. I see him in the rotation, either due to injury or trade.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

Reminds me a lot of nick Blackburn in his hay days.

Yeesh, let's hope not. Kyle will need to miss more bats than Nick ever did if he's going to be a consistent starter in this league.

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,230 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Why not bring him North if he's one of the 5 best starting pitchers?
Lighten up Francis....

#6 CRArko

CRArko

Werebear

• Members
  • 1,592 posts
  • Location44.9833° N, 93.2667° W
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

Why not bring him North if he's one of the 5 best starting pitchers?

He's making a strong bid. It could happen.

#7 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

I've been slating him as the 5th starter but there is a lot if Deduno love out there for him to be the 5th. But the Twins have not been starting Deduno at all and using him in relief so I think the 5th spot is between Gibson and Diamond and I sure hope it's Gibson
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#8 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

Who do you guys move him ahead of?

Edit: Perhaps Deduno's rocky outing today puts him in the bullpen to start the season, paving the way for Gibson to start.

I guess my preference still would be for Gibson to start the season ay Rochester, and give the #5 spot to Sam.

Edited by longstrangetrip, 19 March 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#9 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

I guess I would be surprised if Deduno is in the bullpen and Gibson is the #5. Without the issue involving out-of-options players, Gibson might be the #5. Sometimes they don't always start with the best players. I would think they might rather have Gibson pitch on a regular basis in AAA to start rather than sporadically as the #5 starter. He would clearly be the #6 to me (first guy up) unless Diamond is in the pen.

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

For as well as Gibson has been pitching, that Rob Antony thread sure doesn't embolden me to think he's coming north. If those results yield that kind of "meh" reaction...he might as well get his Red Wings uni out for ironing.

#11 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

I assume the Anthony quote was from before today, I think Gibson put him self in the lead for the 5th spot. Deduno appears to be headed to the pen, Worley is toast, and Diamond has been mediocre.
"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#12 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

For as well as Gibson has been pitching, that Rob Antony thread sure doesn't embolden me to think he's coming north. If those results yield that kind of "meh" reaction...he might as well get his Red Wings uni out for ironing.

Yeah. It's pretty clear from all his talking, that sorting out the 3 out of options guys is the only concern at this point. It also must indicate that they aren't thinking one iota of moving Correia any time soon, as well. And kind of messes up all of his rhetoric about the alleged tough talk and fighting for jobs.

#13 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

I've been slating him as the 5th starter but there is a lot if Deduno love out there for him to be the 5th. But the Twins have not been starting Deduno at all and using him in relief so I think the 5th spot is between Gibson and Diamond and I sure hope it's Gibson

I think some of the "love" for Deduno being 5th starter is less about Deduno and more about probabilities. I predict Deduno will be 5th starter because he had the most success last year of all of the pitchers who are up for that position currently. I think Deduno would be best suited for the pen because it would reduce his number of wild pitches and allow him to focus on the effectiveness of two pitched rather than 3 or 4. I would rather see Gibson as the 5th starter, but he is somewhat unproven and with the options situation as it is, I think the management will have Gibson start out in AAA and earn a promotion.

#14 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

I know "we" all use the "5th starter" as the last guy in the rotation, but are Deduno and Gibson better than any of our first four? For instance, Nolasco is our #1 and Opening Day starter. He is followed by Hughes and then a guy like Gibson or Deduno. Leaving Correia and Pelfrey to be the guys to miss a start if the Twins were to skip someone early on. What are the chances that Pelfrey is the #5 and not Gibson or Deduno?

#15 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I think some of the "love" for Deduno being 5th starter is less about Deduno and more about probabilities. I predict Deduno will be 5th starter because he had the most success last year of all of the pitchers who are up for that position currently. I think Deduno would be best suited for the pen because it would reduce his number of wild pitches and allow him to focus on the effectiveness of two pitched rather than 3 or 4. I would rather see Gibson as the 5th starter, but he is somewhat unproven and with the options situation as it is, I think the management will have Gibson start out in AAA and earn a promotion.

Ya I think Deduno has the most potential to be a good reliever of the lot. His stuff could really play up in the pen if he can throw as hard as he wants, and not worry so much about his pitch counts. Normally guys with lack luster control but good stuff end up relievers.

Diamond and Worley don't really have the out pitches to be more than junk inning or middle relievers.
"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#16 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

I know "we" all use the "5th starter" as the last guy in the rotation, but are Deduno and Gibson better than any of our first four? For instance, Nolasco is our #1 and Opening Day starter. He is followed by Hughes and then a guy like Gibson or Deduno. Leaving Correia and Pelfrey to be the guys to miss a start if the Twins were to skip someone early on. What are the chances that Pelfrey is the #5 and not Gibson or Deduno?

Gardy and Andy love Mike Pelfrey, and TK said a couple weeks ago he expected a big season from the big guy this year, so I don't think they think of him as #5. I suspect that Gibson/Deduno/Diamond get skipped early in the year when #5 isn't needed. But eventually #5 will be determined by this year's performance, and I predict Correia is the 5th starter by the middle of May.