Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins Roster Projection 3.0

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-Projection-3-0

#2 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

Do think the Twins will deal a reliever or one of the out of option starters and a reliever for either
1. A decent prospect
2. A player who could help the Twins now(either an outfielder or an utility type infielder with an outfielder as my best guess). Kubel will have to hit a lot more to make the team as he and Parmelee are competing for what looks to be one spot. Believe Arcia will be here, but he might be sent to Rochester so both Kubel and Parmelee can make the team(do not see why, but Twins have done things like this before).
Agree with you Seth that Diamond looks to be the odd man out and may well be traded soon.

#3 Dave T

Dave T

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

I would really like the Twins to find a way to get Tonkin into this bullpen. Tonkin has been unhittable this spring. Vance Worley is meh.

#4 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

Face-saving trade(s) are just about a given. There are way too many recently acquired players than can be kept--especially when the younger, up-and-comers are added to the equation.

#5 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

I think Kubel is the odd man out do to versatility of Parm and Collabello.

There are 12 pitchers listed here. That would mean that, unless a trade, this could be our pitchers. I personally would let Diamond and Worley go. If a pitcher goes down, we still have plenty of good choices in AAA. Then Tonkin can be given a shot.

Edited by Chance, 16 March 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#6 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

I would really like the Twins to find a way to get Tonkin into this bullpen. Tonkin has been unhittable this spring. Vance Worley is meh.

Agreed. Not saying Worley IS a failed option at this point, but I've also not seen anything to indicate he's going to work and worth keeping for any kind of role either. I appreciate arguments made how it would be a mistake to let someone go who is still young and has potential. But at the same time, I don't want the team to keep a failed roster choice over another talented youngster just for the sake of a maybe; ex. Worley over Tonkin for a bullpen spot.

#7 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

I wouldn't call Diamond's outing yesterday "solid". He was overthrowing everything. His fastball was up. His breaking ball was consistently in the dirt. He was saved by the opposition--the Mets' B team--who swung at his stuff out of the strike zone a lot. But he did't get enough called strikes, and he threw a lot of pitches in four innings. If that was a regular-season game against a normal line-up, he's out after three with a six-run deficit.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#8 lukingood

lukingood

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Colabello has to be kept. The Twins need a credible right-hand bat. While I liked Danny Santana's bat, he simply does not yet have the major-league composure to play shortstop. As to Kubel or Parmelee, Parmelee makes more sense in that he plays both a decent right field and first base. Kubel is primarily relegated to DH or pinch hitting.

#9 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Give up on Kubel, nostalgia for the past does not do anything for a MLB roster. Worley and Diamond, who would even want either of them? We have got a ton of Diamond-like lefties sitting around the minors. What's the concern about letting him go?

But, pitching will not be the biggest problem for the Twins this year. It's the offense. They will have trouble scoring runs and are caught between not being a running team and not being a power team. They must keep Colabello, hope Willingham hits and then get some of the little guys to have good years by getting on base. Like last year, if either Parmelee or Plouffe ever came around and realized his potential, they would be a decent squad. As it stands, they will battle for last place in the Central yet again.

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

not a good guy in the clubhouse

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for update. I think they really want to give Guerrier a long look now, and I don't know how you (the Twins, that is) leave Tonkin behind anymore - definitely agree. If ST is any sort of tryout and not a complete formality, then Colabello seems like a lock at this point. If Florimon is so far behind like has been written, then that's also a real issue. Too bad about Santana's glove and the baseballs that routinely pop out of it.

#11 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

I wouldn't call Diamond's outing yesterday "solid". He was overthrowing everything. His fastball was up. His breaking ball was consistently in the dirt. He was saved by the opposition--the Mets' B team--who swung at his stuff out of the strike zone a lot. But he did't get enough called strikes, and he threw a lot of pitches in four innings. If that was a regular-season game against a normal line-up, he's out after three with a six-run deficit.

I agree with you, and am becoming increasingly concerned that a case is being made to install Diamond as the 5th starter, and relegate Deduno to the bullpen. I think this would be a mistake. But Gardy and Anderson are traditionalists, and traditional baseball thought says you need at least one lefty in your rotation. I don't agree, and kind of hope Diamond gets shelled his next start to force them to put Deduno in the rotation. I think he's poised for a big year.

#12 ppearson50

ppearson50

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Colabello has to be kept. The Twins need a credible right-hand bat. While I liked Danny Santana's bat, he simply does not yet have the major-league composure to play shortstop. As to Kubel or Parmelee, Parmelee makes more sense in that he plays both a decent right field and first base. Kubel is primarily relegated to DH or pinch hitting.

I think there is a shot Kubel makes the team just because of his contract and the fact that the Twins talked him into taking a minor league deal with them rather than a MLB deal with whatever other team was trying to sign him. Sounds to me they assured him he would make them team to get him to sign with them.
That being said, I also would rather they roll with Parmalee and Colabello.

#13 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

Looks like the big battles remaining is will Kubel show enough to make the team and who will win the last 2 bullpen spots as there seems to be 6 or 7 contenders for those 2 spots (Pressley, Theilbar, Tonkin, Worely, Guerrier, Hoffman, Thompson and kind of Diamond)

#14 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

I count 26 players on this projected roster. You have six infielders listed although it says '5' in the parentheses.
You'd more likely remove one of the outfielders from this list than remove an infielder to get down to 25, I think...?

#15 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Do think the Twins will deal a reliever or one of the out of option starters and a reliever for either
1. A decent prospect
2. A player who could help the Twins now(either an outfielder or an utility type infielder with an outfielder as my best guess). Kubel will have to hit a lot more to make the team as he and Parmelee are competing for what looks to be one spot. Believe Arcia will be here, but he might be sent to Rochester so both Kubel and Parmelee can make the team(do not see why, but Twins have done things like this before).
Agree with you Seth that Diamond looks to be the odd man out and may well be traded soon.

It is very rare to make a trade to get a real prospect at this time of year. I didn't find one the last 5 years. All teams feel the crunch of the roster spots. If they have a need on the pitching staff or on the bench, there will be players designated for assignment that can fill that need.

There are some trades. The Twins might be able to match up with a team that has a 4th OF or utility player that would otherwise be designated for assignment in exchange for Worley or Diamond.

It it isn't reasonable to expect a decent prospect.

Any speculation should start with players on other teams in a similar position to Worley, Diamond and Parmelee.

#16 Outlier

Outlier

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

I've felt all along that Pinto has a better chance to make the roster than it seems you have. Perhaps I'm just a dreamer. It seems like he may be the best DH bat they have. He could DH 2-3 days and he could catch 2 days a week until they see the improvement they need. Pinto never caught every day in the minors (<60%) so I wonder if they would ease him into the role and do work with Steinbach and be mentored by Suzuki rather than send him to the minors.

#17 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

I'm a long-time supporter of Deduno, and he is in the zone right now- so glad to see it.
Same with Tonkin- get these arms in the mix; Deduno @ #5; stash Tonkin in the pen for the time being. Colabello has found his stroke, so get him on the bench.
Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

I've felt all along that Pinto has a better chance to make the roster than it seems you have. Perhaps I'm just a dreamer. It seems like he may be the best DH bat they have. He could DH 2-3 days and he could catch 2 days a week until they see the improvement they need. Pinto never caught every day in the minors (<60%) so I wonder if they would ease him into the role and do work with Steinbach and be mentored by Suzuki rather than send him to the minors.

With regards to Pinto, Gardy is already adamantly on the record this spring stating that Pinto will definitely not be DHing.

His reasoning? It just gives him nightmares thinking about the chances that a pitcher might have to bat once or twice in 5000 PAs.

#19 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

With regards to Pinto, Gardy is already adamantly on the record this spring stating that Pinto will definitely not be DHing.

His reasoning? It just gives him nightmares thinking about the chances that a pitcher might have to bat once or twice in 5000 PAs.

I don't think they'd choose Pinto as the right handed DH ahead of Colabello at this point, but Gardy said they'd need a third catcher for Pinto to DH. Sending Fryer down already and keeping Hermann up could be a sign that they want to carry three. I'm guessing Colabello makes it for sure, and Kubel has looked pretty terrible, but Hermann could be in the mix with Kubel and Parmalee for that last spot if they want to keep Pinto also.

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

I don't think they'd choose Pinto as the right handed DH ahead of Colabello at this point, but Gardy said they'd need a third catcher for Pinto to DH. Sending Fryer down already and keeping Hermann up could be a sign that they want to carry three. I'm guessing Colabello makes it for sure, and Kubel has looked pretty terrible, but Hermann could be in the mix with Kubel and Parmalee for that last spot if they want to keep Pinto also.

Ugh. Even Gardy has seemed to have learned his lesson on the harm to the offense that the 3 catcher security blanket scenario does to the team.

I'd take Parmelee's bat over what Hermann can potentially contribute (Kubel?). And with Escobar as your emergency catcher, Hermann or Fryer are a one-day flight away from Rochester to take the back-up spot in the event of an injury.

#21 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

I would prefer to have Pinto be on the MLB roster and catching at least 50% of the time, but I think the team feels he needs more working on his catching skills and will want him catching every day in the minors. It's not the worst idea, but I think it will hurt the offense, and offense is where the team probably needs the most help right now. Love seeing Hicks as the primary CF and Presley as the 4th guy (who will play a lot late-game in one of the corners anyways, I suspect).

The last 2 spots are starting to look like they're coming down to Kubel, Parmelee, and Colabello. Kubel's experience makes him a better bet as a LH bench bat, but Parmelee's positional flexibility is a good thing. Colabello could be a nice RH bat and the balance would be good. I think Gardy would prefer the veteran Kubel to make the squad. I'd love to see Colabello & Parmelee hit well enough and earn the last 2 spots and be real contributors, but both have enough question marks that it's hard to have confidence in them.

#22 bdoom5

bdoom5

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

If Alex Presley is the opening day cf I wont watch. There is no upside. Hicks has way more upside. Hicks struggled last year but Presley isn't a solid hitter. And Hicks plays way better in cf. Can you guys believe Bartletts spring batting avg. is the same as mine? Its time to end the experiment.

#23 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

I've always liked Jason Kubel but right now his niche is the same as Parmelee's, and Parms wins that battle.

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

The Twins might be able to swing a trade for a reliever that has some established success in the majors, but I don't see a whole lot of trading. If they get anything at all of value for Diamond or Worley, I'll be shocked. Everyone knows they are out of options, so no one will offer anything for them... I'll add to it that their performance hasn't exactly made trading either of them easier.

#25 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

not a good guy in the clubhouse

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

If Alex Presley is the opening day cf I wont watch. There is no upside. Hicks has way more upside. Hicks struggled last year but Presley isn't a solid hitter. And Hicks plays way better in cf. Can you guys believe Bartletts spring batting avg. is the same as mine? Its time to end the experiment.

Just listening to a game now and then, and reading some of the box scores, I'd say Bartlett is out-hitting Kubel, despite the difference in batting average. I could be wrong. Sounds like Bartlett made some good contact yesterday and stole a base today, which will help his cause. Looks like Bartlett is also starting to see time at 2B/RF.

I know Gardy has plans for Kubel to DH and be a bat off the bench this year too (don't have link).

#26 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

I am less and less certain that Jason Kubel is a given at this point than I was a month ago and Parmelee/Colabello could take over DH duties. I still have Kubel on the roster though, for now.

Yeah. The was I see it, as far as position players go, subtract Kubel, add Pinto (as a 50-50 starter with Suzuki) and this is the roster, with the DH being a rotation between Parmelee/Colabello/Herrmann/Arcia/Willingham, Herrmann having a utility role and giving Gardy his beloved third catcher.

Not sure how pitching will play out. I expect trades. I also might not be surprised if Matty Guerrier makes the team. He pitched well in his first outing the other day. Still need another week or so to play out there.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#27 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

I too think there's a trade to be made yet. I could see even Burton going and Tonkin taking that spot. I'll be really surprised if some pitching isn't dealt. I see Colabello, Kubel and Parmelee fighting for 2 spots with Colabello and Parm winning, as both can play 1st base.

I'm right on with you, Seth, for the rest of the roster.

#28 bdoom5

bdoom5

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

Just listening to a game now and then, and reading some of the box scores, I'd say Bartlett is out-hitting Kubel, despite the difference in batting average. I could be wrong. Sounds like Bartlett made some good contact yesterday and stole a base today, which will help his cause. Looks like Bartlett is also starting to see time at 2B/RF.

I know Gardy has plans for Kubel to DH and be a bat off the bench this year too (don't have link).

Bartletts Batting avg. is .ooo, that's not acceptable.:banghead:

#29 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

Give up on Kubel, nostalgia for the past does not do anything for a MLB roster. Worley and Diamond, who would even want either of them? We have got a ton of Diamond-like lefties sitting around the minors. What's the concern about letting him go?

But, pitching will not be the biggest problem for the Twins this year. It's the offense. They will have trouble scoring runs and are caught between not being a running team and not being a power team. They must keep Colabello, hope Willingham hits and then get some of the little guys to have good years by getting on base. Like last year, if either Parmelee or Plouffe ever came around and realized his potential, they would be a decent squad. As it stands, they will battle for last place in the Central yet again.

Agreed -- I am afraid we are in for a painfully large number of 3-2, 2-1, and 1-0 losses. While the pitching appears to be more than adequate right now the line up brings tears to my eyes.
Colabello has to be on the bench.

Edited by VATwinsFan, 16 March 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#30 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

[FONT=Verdana]Some random thoughts:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Catcher: Suzuki is signed to a one-year deal, which means that the intention is that he is here only to help with the transition to Pinto for 2015. However, it would be great to see Pinto on the team right out of the gate. This is based not on his strong September in the majors, but instead on his strong year throughout 2013 in AA and AAA. I'd like to see him start the year in the majors, with Suzuki playing the role of Henry Blanco or Junior Ortiz. The biggest issue I see with Pinto is health. He was injured last year, last fall and now, again, during spring training. I guess there could be a need to make sure he can stay off the DL for an extended duration before declaring him the full-time major league starter. Either way, Herrmann is not a bad back-up. If he can catch decently and manage to obtain at least a .650 OPS, he'd be middle-of-the-pack in league context and WAY OVER the Butera line.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Infield: makes sense. Good to see Colabello's continued efforts to improve possibly bear fruit.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Outfield: right now, only two players are likely for 2015, and two are possible. For Arcia, the upside goal has to be that he turns into a 30 HR masher, hopefully by 2015. 2014 should be all about whatever is best to position him for that future. For Hicks, with apologies to Satchel Paige, he better not look (go) back, because someone's (Buxton) gaining on him. If Hicks doesn't make it in 2014, he'll probably have at most until the end of May 2015 to be the Twins' centerfielder. He needs to show what he's got. If he plays OK, he can either move to left next year or be traded to another team in need of a good centerfielder. If he shows a good glove but only an adequate bat, a trade may be more likely, because left field may be saved for a run producer, either by free agency, or someone else coming up from the minors - Rosario? Vargas? Walker?? If Colabello and/or Parmalee show a healthy bat this year, they may also be candidates to be at least left field placeholders in 2015.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana]The two question marks are Presley - will he be a good fourth outfielder in 2015? - and Parmalee - will he hit enough for the Twins to establish himself as a major leaguer or will he need to go somewhere else for free in hopes of becoming the next Garrett Jones?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Not relevant to the 2015 plans are Willingham, unless he can be traded this summer for a prospect (thanks for a great 2013 and for being a likable player); and Kubel, who I would argue will likely not be relevant to 2014 plans, either. Look, we all liked Jason Kubel when he played here, but he's been injured repeatedly in his career, he's in the rapid decline phase of his career, and he really had only a good first half his first year in Arizona, when he was new to the league and playing in a hitter's park. If his .216/.293/.317 in 2013 was due to injury, what accounts for his 2012 second-half split of .201/.275/.470? Convert that performance from Chase Field (where his 2012 OPS was one hundred fifty points higher than his away OPS) to Target Field and . . . (shudder).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Starters: do you remember that last year Vance Worley was the opening day starter? Do you remember that one of the biggest worries last spring training was Cole Devries' injury? Do you realize that 60 starts last year were by Worley, Diamond, Albers, Walter, Devries, Pedro Hernandez, and Liam Hendriks, all of whom would, at best, be the 13th pitcher on this year's staff? This year's staff is way better. Of course, TR didn't exactly go out and get in-their-prime versions of Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee, but we might now at least have . . . what? . . . a decent starting rotation? A shot at competence? This is the biggest source of hope that 2014 will be better than 2013. Also, if any of the five listed by Seth - I would hope for the same five - falters, then we will have pitchers in AAA, who, while perhaps unproven, have a good chance to perform at least as well as the starters of the sundry sixty from 2013. This includes Meyer, Gibson, May, and possibly Darnell. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Relievers: not a bad list. A few trade candidates, including Burton, Fien and Duensing, but trades would be more likely in June or July than during spring training, when teams may think a middle reliever is what they need for the playoff chase. There is depth behind this list, including Guerrier, Pressly, May (I think he's better fixed long-term for relieving - Latroy Hawkins, anybody?), Tonkin, Ibarra (they must see something in this guy), Hoffman, and the several lefties that the team has collected. Even Gibson should be considered a relief candidate, if the starting rotation performs adequately; there should be no reason for him to spend the year in Rochester, unless there's an injury or trade by mid-June, he should be in the majors in some role, unless he proves not worthy. Many of these pitchers could plug in after a trade of the veterans with little loss of performance. In fact, some of these pitchers may actually have more upside than Burton, Fien or Duensing, at lower cost.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana]By they way, when do we start counting the salary that will come off the books before 2015 so we can start guessing which free agents could be good fits?[/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Verdana]
[/FONT]