Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Pitching Prospects on Display (with Video)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ects-on-Display

#2 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

I am pretty damn excited for the next group of pitching prospects. Its likely we won't see most of them until 2016 at the earliest. But its going to be fun to see who avoids the injuries, and other issues that flare up among pitching prospects.

#3 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

So it appears Dalton Hicks and AB Walker will start at A+ with the Miracle?

What makes you think none of the trio will start at Cedar Rapids?

Cedar Rapids season starts...April 3rd, http://www.milb.com/...ex.jsp?sid=t492

Would you guess they would then have to wait until mid June for the Appy/GC league teams?

I guess I wouldn't think they'd wait that long, but all they have is Class A in the interim other than ext. ST...but can't see them going to A, then to drop back down to GCL/Appy lg...

#4 dukie034

dukie034

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

Seth, great stuff. Do you know tomorrow's minor league schedule?

#5 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

Who played CF for Miracle today?
Any word on how the AA & AAA team did today? Who did what?
Walker was something like 9-12 last year with bases loaded (3 Grand Slams). That's Clutch

I know some guys will stay in extended spring training, but ETown has 20 pitchers listed. Who is going where from that group come the start of ETown season?

#6 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

I just don't see any reason why Kohl Stewart doesn't join the Kernels opening day. But I guess its not too big of a deal if he spends a month or so in EST.

Anyway, nowadays I almost look forward to the minor leagues season to start as much as the major league season.

#7 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:11 AM

I just don't see any reason why Kohl Stewart doesn't join the Kernels opening day. But I guess its not too big of a deal if he spends a month or so in EST.

Anyway, nowadays I almost look forward to the minor leagues season to start as much as the major league season.

There are a lot of interesting starting pitchers in the Twins low minors.

Felix Jorge
Yorman Landa
Randy Rosario
Hein Robb
Josh Burris
Kuo Hua Lo
Ryan Eades
Luke Bard
Kohl Stewart
Stephen Gonsalves
Any relievers they want to stretch out to try starting (Slegers, Bixler?)

At some point it just becomes a numbers game. There is also a question of how many innings they want him to pitch this season. Starting in EST might be the best option then send him to CR if there is room and he is ready or he could head to Elizabethton when they open their season.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:13 AM

Seth, great stuff. Do you know tomorrow's minor league schedule?

Low A and High A play in Ft. Myers. AA and AAA in Sarasota. Orioles affiliates today, I believe. Talked to Stephen Gonsalves for a couple of minutes. He said he and Ryan Eades were pitching. Not sure who else.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:14 AM

Who played CF for Miracle today?
Any word on how the AA & AAA team did today? Who did what?
Walker was something like 9-12 last year with bases loaded (3 Grand Slams). That's Clutch

I know some guys will stay in extended spring training, but ETown has 20 pitchers listed. Who is going where from that group come the start of ETown season?

Zach Granite played in CF for the Miracle roster.

The only thing I read from the AAA game was that Nate Hanson had 3 doubles.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

At least you can know that you're not the only one!! :)

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

Are they keeping all back on an innings limit or something else? None of these guys really have anything to prove spending more time in rookie ball.

#12 markos

markos

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Are they keeping all back on an innings limit or something else? None of these guys really have anything to prove spending more time in rookie ball.

I'm guessing it is part innings limits and part to avoid cold weather. Last year Berrios didn't make his first start of the season until April 22, even though the season started the first week of April.

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

First, I do think that innings counts are a big part of it.

But I also don't know that I agree that they don't really have anything to prove... Thorpe dominated at the GCL. Doesn't hurt him to face the college hitters in the Appy League. Gonsalves only got a few starts at E-Town, and Stewart had just one. Romero was also only in the GCL.

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 of them are up in Cedar Rapids before the Appy League schedule starts.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

I'm guessing it is part innings limits and part to avoid cold weather. Last year Berrios didn't make his first start of the season until April 22, even though the season started the first week of April.

He also needed to get stretched out after spending so much time pitching one inning at a time with the Puerto Rico WBC team.

#15 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Low A and High A play in Ft. Myers. AA and AAA in Sarasota. Orioles affiliates today, I believe. Talked to Stephen Gonsalves for a couple of minutes. He said he and Ryan Eades were pitching. Not sure who else.

Seth, what have you seen/heard about Eades? He seems to be the guy that is getting left out of the discussion at this point. As you know he was a 2/3 upside kind of guy that struggled a bit in his limited time last season. Any new information about him, at all?

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

Seth, what have you seen/heard about Eades? He seems to be the guy that is getting left out of the discussion at this point. As you know he was a 2/3 upside kind of guy that struggled a bit in his limited time last season. Any new information about him, at all?

Likely go to Cedar Rapids. I never saw him pitch, but he is supposed to pitch today though.

He'll be fine. Not sure why he isn't talked about more.

#17 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

Likely go to Cedar Rapids. I never saw him pitch, but he is supposed to pitch today though.

He'll be fine. Not sure why he isn't talked about more.

Looking forward to your thoughts on him. :)

#18 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

There are a lot of interesting starting pitchers in the Twins low minors.

Felix Jorge
Yorman Landa
Randy Rosario
Hein Robb
Josh Burris
Kuo Hua Lo
Ryan Eades
Luke Bard
Kohl Stewart
Stephen Gonsalves
Any relievers they want to stretch out to try starting (Slegers, Bixler?)

At some point it just becomes a numbers game. There is also a question of how many innings they want him to pitch this season. Starting in EST might be the best option then send him to CR if there is room and he is ready or he could head to Elizabethton when they open their season.

Robb and Burris aren't anything special. I'd really love to see Slegers work into a starting role though.

#19 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

Eades had a rough time today, got hit around a bit. But the home team hit better and was keeping a rather large Oriole crowd somewhat quiet up til I left.

Berrios looked great, struck out the side in the 1st. Gave up a hit or two in the second, I can't remember, but got out of it. I think he only threw 2 innings. Really nice curve working today.

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

Eades had a rough time today, got hit around a bit. But the home team hit better and was keeping a rather large Oriole crowd somewhat quiet up til I left.

Berrios looked great, struck out the side in the 1st. Gave up a hit or two in the second, I can't remember, but got out of it. I think he only threw 2 innings. Really nice curve working today.

I am going to write about today soon, but, yeah, Eades got hit around (I think they got 3 triples out of him) and I think part of the reason is that his two-seamer has a lot of movement and the home plate umpire refused to call the low strike (for anyone). Berrios indeed was throwing BBs out there 93-96 easy going. Gonsalves, Duffey and Jorge also pitched today as well.

The Twins Director of Minor Leagues was in attendance for a brief time today and was amazing to see the kids quieting up when he arrived :)

Now, my question is to you, Mr Hall: where were you today? Wish I knew, I'd say hi.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#21 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

I was mostly hanging under the tower, and then back and forth between the fields. I didn't realize you were down here. I'll be over there tommorrow and watching Meyer throw. I'm sure I saw you today but had no clue.

Edited by Halsey Hall, 15 March 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#22 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

Might catch you tomorrow, but will be watching the Twins' game when Meyers is pitching
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#23 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Minnesota Day tommorrow so I'll be there early. Gotta get a Mauer Chevrolet tee shirt. I'll have a reddish Silver Bay cap on. Minnie day is always fun.

#24 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

I liked how the three pitchers worked quickly, two of them getting two pitches in in less than 25 seconds and the third one a pitch and a pickoff attempt in the same time frame. Oh that and the pitches looked absolutely filthy, especially for early it is.