Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Correia to the Braves?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

With Beachy going down, the Braves need another arm.

Pretty sure we could unload Correia who would be a nice arm for the Braves and pick up a solid prospect as well.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#2 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Sold!

#3 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

I don't think the Twins should wait until the deadline to trade Correia. If it's to the Braves, that's OK with me.

No team is going to look at Correia at the deadline and think he's the difference between making the playoffs or not. Whatever value he has is at its highest right now.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

I don't think the Twins should wait until the deadline to trade Correia. If it's to the Braves, that's OK with me.

No team is going to look at Correia at the deadline and think he's the difference between making the playoffs or not. Whatever value he has is at its highest right now.

Yup. I sure hope the Twins see what you and I see. Their offseason pitching pursuits suggest that they're just waiting for just such a phone call to pull the trigger. Get-er-done.

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

would start Pinto

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

Beachy and Medlen too.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

Only a good idea if Mark DeRosa comes out of retirement.

Because, Mark DeRosa.

#7 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

only a good idea if mark derosa comes out of retirement.

Because, mark derosa.

iswydt

#8 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

Only a good idea if Mark DeRosa comes out of retirement.

Because, Mark DeRosa.

There is only a 52% chance of that happening.

#9 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

This late in the process there is a chance. Decent FA SP's are a rare commodity at this point so the Braves might have look at a trade.

That said, I can't envision the Twins FO trading him. They have gone to such great lengths to bring in pitchers this off season it seems unlikely they'd let one go at this point.

#10 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

I'm not sure Correia would bring much back at this point. He's a mediocre pitcher at best and there likely will be similar types hitting waivers in the next couple weeks that cost nothing.

Would anyone here give up a decent prospect for one year of Correia?

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#11 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

The good part is that the Braves strength in their farm is their pitching. Correia by himself won't return a low-minors stud, but Correia plus1 (say) Kepler? Or maybe even less? Depends on whom the Twins scouts like of course.

[SIZE=1]1 with apologies to another TD poster whose post I had to delete for other reasons....[/SIZE]

#12 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

People were surprised when the Braves traded for Doumit; maybe lightning strikes twice.

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,898 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

My guess... We'd have to eat some salary to make it worthwhile. He was signed as a free agent... That means we paid more for him than others were willing or close to more than others were willing. It's the nature of FA.

He pitched OK for us but I don't know if that increased his value.

I could be wrong but Correia is more valuable to us as a "Now" MLB starter than any player he could bring back.

If we package him with Kepler... I think we are still getting the same player in return for Kepler alone.

Just my guess.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

We'd have to eat some salary to make it worthwhile.

Works for me. :)

If we package him with Kepler... I think we are still getting the same player in return for Kepler alone.

Maybe so. I am just tired of the one-for-two trades in the recent past (Morneau, Liriano, I think at least one other I am temporarily forgetting), and would like to see a two-for-one that represents an upgrade for once. Plugging another team's urgent need while providing them with a legitimate prospect would seem like an opportunity for that.

[SIZE=1]/ edit: Revere. That's the other one-for-two trade. I liked the trade at the time - but I would have liked even better Revere plus somebody for somebody else on a par with Meyer. Those guys are hard to pry away on demand, though.[/SIZE]

Edited by ashburyjohn, 14 March 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#15 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

My guess... We'd have to eat some salary to make it worthwhile. He was signed as a free agent... That means we paid more for him than others were willing or close to more than others were willing. It's the nature of FA.

He pitched OK for us but I don't know if that increased his value.

I could be wrong but Correia is more valuable to us as a "Now" MLB starter than any player he could bring back.

Just my guess.

I think you never know. I was surprised we got someone with some upside for Drew Butera. I was surprised how well we did in the Span deal. I was shocked at how little the Tigers got back for Fister. Sometimes you never know. Different teams may evaluate the same player differently, some teams may have depth in one area and lacking in another.

I do think the Twins will get the most value somewhere between now and May, rather than in July. the reason is we are probably one of the very few teams that would be willing to give up a pitcher now. Nobody is going to cry foul that we are giving up on the season and we have Meyer and hopefully Gibson coming up anyway. So if a team that has a large payroll and thinks they have a post-season run this year, like the Braves (or Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, or Nationals) has a key injury and a lack of depth maybe something can be worked out.

At this point the Braves have Gavin Floyd and Freddy Garcia, both battling some big injuries.

#16 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Correia's value is tied to his ability to chew up innings and stay relatively healthy. That value is only going to diminish as the season goes on and there are fewer innings to eat.

I think the Twins have enough starters that the loss of Correia would be no big deal. It might prevent them from losing Deduno, Diamond, or Worley (if you're worried about that kind of thing). A space needs to open up for Gibson as well.

#17 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Good question...
Just based on ST games, seems like (more or less) an across the board improvement in the pitching. Deduno looked good vs. Bosox; Tonkin (love to know more about him) etc. are standing out. We have a logjam going on for #5, and if desperate times call for desperate measures, then maybe the Bravos might want to grab some insurance depth. Worth a shot.

Weeding out Correia could simplify things w/out of option guys, and with the war chest full. eating all/part of his salary is totally doable.

Question is: who do you want from the Braves in return for a Correia trade?
Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

#18 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

News flash: Gibby gave up 3 in the first inning in today's split-squad game. Maybe I wanna hang onto Correia another few weeks.... :)

#19 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

I wonder how other teams (Braves) would value Deduno?

#20 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

News flash: Gibby gave up 3 in the first inning in today's split-squad game. Maybe I wanna hang onto Correia another few weeks.... :)

Gibby's just working on some things. Today he was working on hanging sliders.

#21 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Gibby's just working on some things. Today he was working on hanging sliders.

Pretty successful day then, mission accomplished.

#22 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Guess that worked out...
Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

#23 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

Maybe they could offer Worley to the Braves for a PTBNL depending how he does. Doesn't really look like he has a spot and he's out of options.
Braves seem to get a lot out of their pitching so maybe they can find something Rick doesn't. He's still young and probably has a little more upside than does Garcia and Floyd.
Probably wishful thinking on my part to get anything for him.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#24 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

The good part is that the Braves strength in their farm is their pitching. Correia by himself won't return a low-minors stud, but Correia plus1 (say) Kepler? Or maybe even less? Depends on whom the Twins scouts like of course.[SIZE=1]1 with apologies to another TD poster whose post I had to delete for otkher reasons....[/SIZE]

1. Toss Duensing into the deal. 2. PROFIT!

#25 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

I don't see the Braves wanting Correia. There are other teams they could trade with that would have better options. I think the Twins will be lucky if they can trade Correia at the deadline. He looks like a solid number 5 starter and most teams can find a guy close to that in AAA. He needs a sub 4.00 ERA to find trade value and I don't know if he can do that.

#26 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Not sure which prospects the Braves would have...that 1) be willing to deal, 2) the Twins would want. Maybe Lucas Sims...but it's a pretty weak farm system. Not that Correia should/would bring back a lion's share...but you'd like to be able to get a guy who would actually make the pros at some point for a #3/#4 starter.

#27 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

would start Pinto

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

Gibby Gibby Gibby.. dang you

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

Maybe they could offer Worley to the Braves for a PTBNL depending how he does. Doesn't really look like he has a spot and he's out of options.
Braves seem to get a lot out of their pitching so maybe they can find something Rick doesn't. He's still young and probably has a little more upside than does Garcia and Floyd.
Probably wishful thinking on my part to get anything for him.

I was thinking this same thing... PTBNL conditional on Worley's results. He's had success in the NL, and the Braves saw him plenty in Philly...

#29 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

I was thinking this same thing... PTBNL conditional on Worley's results. He's had success in the NL, and the Braves saw him plenty in Philly...

Worley does nothing for the Braves as they would have 3-4 internal guys who would have just as good of a shot to be effective as Worley for them.

The thing that Correia brings is that he is a pretty safe bet to give them innings anywhere between a 4.00-4.30 ERA, which does in fact have a nice amount of value for a contending team with an immediate need.

#30 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Interesting takes here. I can tell you that Frank Wren has said that outside of an "impact" player, the payroll is maxed out, and Correia is just not a pitcher that would interest the Braves. They have three guys just like him in AAA that have already been sent to minor league camp.

Sorry to burst the bubble.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!