Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Get to Know: James Beresford

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...James-Beresford

#2 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

Great piece, Seth. He's undoubtedly my favorite player in this organization.

#3 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

I really like Beresford as well. He is plucky, a tough out and from what I can tell highly competitive. I really think he can be a solid player for the Twins. The problem is he doesn't have a ton of power and isn't a terribly fast runner. So I think his potential versus the potential of other players isn't going to be as high. Utility is probably his best bet for any team he might play for unless he develops more power.

Thing is he is one of those players I would not bet against. He seems to always do better than people expect. I hope he turns out to be a great second baseman.

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

Good Stuff. He is a classy player whose head and heart are in the right places, even though he might never be a star. I can see him have a Jamey Carroll type of career. Good luck to him.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

Frankly, is Beresford really considered to be a future big league player? I doubt it.

Based on this quote I would say the Twins seem to think so. [COLOR=#3E3E3E]“Just the things the Twins said to me. Pretty candid things. The positive things they had to say. The opportunities they said they were going to give me. And, I definitely saw a chance to get up to the big leagues this year provided I play well."[/COLOR]

#6 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

I can see him have a Jamey Carroll type of career. Good luck to him.

Carroll is just who I thought of while reading this article. Beresford appears to be the player that will do what he is asked and do it well with peak effort.

X-Factor Eckstein is another player who comes to mind. He also broke into the league at 25.

There is INF opportunity on this club, and it's pretty reasonable to say that Beresford could be the one to reach out and take it.

I like these players, but ....

Sano - Out for the year
Plouffe - Glove?, One-month wonder?
Florimon - Appendectomy recovery, offense?, consistency?
Escobar - ?? ... May just need more opportunity
Bernier - Old, AAA filler?
Bartlett - Old, Done?
Rosario - Suspended
Santana - Glove? ... Hasn't played AAA
Romero - ?? ... Another guy with a possible opportunity

#7 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,235 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

Beresford isn't the little guy I thought he would be. He has fairly good size and when I was watching, he hit a couple of BP homers. I saw him play an intra-squad minor league game and he showed a really good glove and very good range. If he can demonstrate a little sock, he could have a major league future.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Beresford isn't the little guy I thought he would be. He has fairly good size and when I was watching, he hit a couple of BP homers. I saw him play an intra-squad minor league game and he9showed a really good glove and very good range. If he can demonstrate a little sock, he could have a major league future.

Yeah, he's worked really hard in his offseasons to add some size and be able to retain it. He's got good height. He's never going to be a power hitter, but he can hit.