Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

MLB Trade Rumors: Twins Offseason in Review

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

http://www.mlbtrader..._medium=twitter

Overall assessment seems pretty fair.

I am looking forward to Mauer proving the doubters wrong and putting the "catcher unable to transition" garbage to rest.

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,441 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hard to disagree with any of that, actually.
Lighten up Francis....

#3 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

I am looking forward to Mauer proving the doubters wrong and putting the "catcher unable to transition" garbage to rest.

I didn't read the Stark article, but I would imagine that the majority of those "catchers" weren't able to transition because they were either:
1. Not good enough offensively to stick at a corner OF/1B position.
2. Broken down.
3. Both

Mauer obviously is good enough offensively to stick anywhere and be an asset, I think his production is actually going to improve a bit, and even if it stays flat, a 140-150 OPS+ will play anywhere.

While Mauer has had his share of injuries, he is hardly "broken down" he is making the move because of a concern re: concussions, not because his knees are shot or legs aren't working. While he will never be a speed threat it should be noted that Mauer even at catcher didn't hurt the Twins on the base-paths as fangraphs is able to back up and he was certainly able to leg out enough doubles over the years.

I think Stark does great work, and I am not dismissing his study, in fact I am a big believer in looking at historical data, though as we have learned over the years, that data helps us predict what will happen with the majority of players (95% of them) its the 1% of them (Mauer) who have played the game who bend the rules.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#4 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

I think Stark does great work, and I am not dismissing his study, in fact I am a big believer in looking at historical data, though as we have learned over the years, that data helps us predict what will happen with the majority of players (95% of them) its the 1% of them (Mauer) who have played the game who bend the rules.

It's sort of similar in that regard to the historical data that show a stratospheric failure rate of drafting high school catchers. Again, if anyone is to buck the trend, it'd be Joe Mauer.