Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Observation from Minor League Intrasquad Game 1

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...inor-League-Int

#2 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:26 AM

Great work and information Seth. Thats the kind of coverage I love to read. Much appreciated.

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:54 AM

Awesome. Can't wait for the season. You talk as if the Rosters are set and Thorpe and Stewart are pitching with Cedar Rapids. I was under the impression that doesn't get announced until later. Am I wrong here? Does this indicate that Thorpe and Stewart are with CR to start the year?

[COLOR=#3e3e3e]Wheeler - When did he add that extra MPH to his FB? This winter? If this holds up and if he still has his change up and good control, he could go from organizational filler type, to potential big leauger. [/COLOR]

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:47 AM

In minor league camp, they are split into work groups. As players move down from big league camp, there is a trickle-down effect. You can almost assume that a player will go down one work group over the course of camp. Right now, Jeff Smith is managing the Rochester work group, Mientkiewicz the New Britain roster and Jake Mauer the Ft. Myers roster. The reason? So they're working primarily with the guys that will play for them to start these season.

Wheeler did that by the end of last season.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,331 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:19 AM

Good stuff. Watching minor league games is fun, especially in that set up where you can get to watch parts of two games by turning your head in different directions :)

BTW, did you sneak any looks at that radar gun table as far as Stewart and Thorpe goes?

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Hey Seth, what's the deal with Ryan Eades? I haven't heard anyone mention him this spring.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Great stuff. Thanks Seth.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Good stuff. Watching minor league games is fun, especially in that set up where you can get to watch parts of two games by turning your head in different directions :)

BTW, did you sneak any looks at that radar gun table as far as Stewart and Thorpe goes?

I didn't. Gonsalves was keeping it most of the game. Coudln't really get behind there because the minor leaguers that weren't playing were all sitting there watching. Neither would have lit up the radar gun though. Probably low 90s. They didn't seem to be airing it out.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

Hey Seth, what's the deal with Ryan Eades? I haven't heard anyone mention him this spring.

He's listed on the Cedar Rapids roster. He's not listed on the DL or anything. Seems to be fine. I'll be sure to get a picture this afternoon to prove he's alive. :)

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

Glen Perkins, Brian Duensing, Jared Burton and Matt Guerrier are scheduled to start in the minor league game here this afternoon.

JO Berrios and Stephen Gonsalves are starting the FM/CR game. Jorge and Landa are scheduled to pitch as well.

#11 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Thanks, Seth. This was great. I can't wait for the season to start!

#12 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

Great stuff Seth. Looking forward to more reports on the minor leaguers. Interesting that you talked about a trickle down impact as roster cuts are made. So will most of the guys throwing for Cedar Rapids now end up in extended spring (and then ETown)??

#13 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

I will not be in Fort Myers until March 24 - will this sort of action be taking place beginning that day and all through the following week? And if so can we as fans purchase tickets for it? I will be in Fort Myers until April 1 so does this activity continue through that day?

#14 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

I will not be in Fort Myers until March 24 - will this sort of action be taking place beginning that day and all through the following week? And if so can we as fans purchase tickets for it? I will be in Fort Myers until April 1 so does this activity continue through that day?

The minor leaguers will either play intra-squad (AA v AAA, A+ v A) games like those Seth watched or will play games against same-level squads from the Red Sox, Rays or Orioles (2 games at home, 2 on the road) pretty much every day from now through March 30. The full-season squads break camp on March 31.

By next week, we should see players (and coaching staffs) adjusted downward more closely to the group where they're more likely to be assigned to start the season.

May be reading more in to it than was intended, but I did see LEN3 hypothesize in his recent article that Kohl Stewart could start the season in Cedar Rapids. he quoted Brad Steil as saying about Stewart, “I think we’re looking forward to seeing what he does in his first full season.”

I have kind of assumed Stewart would stay behind in EST and maybe skip E'town to go to CR in May, but maybe there's a shot he starts the year with the Kernels. Could be they want to accelerate him up at least through high-A by the end of the summer.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#15 bdoom5

bdoom5

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

I went to 2 spring games and came away with a horrible taste in my mouth for a few players. 1. Bartlett needs to be cut. He looked awful. Danny Santana looked better. 2. Vance Worley can be cut also. He couldn't get anyone out. 3. Kubel isn't even close to the player he used to be, and he wasn't all that good before. On a positive note, I saw Dick Bremer in the parking lot getting out of his car and his tan looked great.

#16 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

Seth, thanks for explaining to me who was on which field and why. It was nice to meet you. Wish I could've stayed to watch more of the games, but with octogenarian parents in tow, there was only so much before it was enough. Great write up.

#17 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

I went to 2 spring games and came away with a horrible taste in my mouth for a few players. 1. Bartlett needs to be cut. He looked awful. Danny Santana looked better. 2. Vance Worley can be cut also. He couldn't get anyone out. 3. Kubel isn't even close to the player he used to be, and he wasn't all that good before. On a positive note, I saw Dick Bremer in the parking lot getting out of his car and his tan looked great.

Hopefully both Bartlett and Kubel will be cut before the season starts I am thinking, anyone else share that thought or do you still hope for improvement from them this pre-season?