Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Spring Training Game Thread: Phillies@Twins 3/9 12:05PM

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Minnesota SP: Mike Pelfrey

CF Mastroianni
C. Suzuki
1B Mauer
LF Willingham
RF Parmelee
DH Ramirez
3B Romero
2B Bartlett
SS Santana

Phillies SP: Jeff Manship

CF Revere
2B Galvis
RF Abreu
1B Ruf
3B Franco
DH Mayberry
LF Gwynn
SS Cedeno
C Nieves

Things to Think About:

1. Daylight Savings Time:

This isn't a 1:05 (Eastern Time) Start... It's a 12:05 start. The body clock doesn't just change with a snap of the fingers. This means its really a 9:05 start in Thousand Oaks California. On top of that... You are talking about Young Players. When I was the age of the majority of these players. Sleeping until Noon was done with such ease. Sean Gilmartin is 23 Years old and he's from Thousand Oaks California. Take Daylight Savings, His Age and living in the Pacific Time Zone.

Gilmartin is gonna be worthless today!!! It might as well be a 5AM start.

2.Ben Revere

It's no secret that I've always been a fan. I'm gonna be quietly hoping he does good things against my team. I like the way he plays the game!

3. Jeff Manship

Man Ship... I believe most boats are named after girls.

Jeff has been tossed aside by the Twins and Rockies of late. He's hanging on to his career right now with a minor league deal with the Phillies. It's Drama if you think about it. Baseball is reality TV at its best. Who get eliminated from the "Biggest Loser"... "American Idol"... "the Apprentice"... "Survivor".

Americans want to know who is getting eliminated... Baseball has elimination bursting at the seems in Spring Training for guys like Manship. My wife would watch if Baseball was presented like the Bachelor or something.

4. The Trap Door Exit

In the reality Show theme... Myself... I'd be in favor of a trap door for all baseball cuts.

Studio Audience all hushed... Drum Roll... Host says "Sam Deduno... Please come forward and stand on the trap door... Long dramatic pause... The camera focuses on Sam's face. He's trying to be cool. His lip quivers a bit because he knows that his dreams could end right here. He looks down at the trap door and then straight ahead. The camera switches over to the audience. The camera pans in for a close up of a young beautiful girl and her hands clasped together in prayer and her eyes shut... The drum roll continues. From the silence... Someone in the audience shouts out... We love you Sam!!! Camera quickly goes back to Sam... He smiles but quickly goes back to nervous... The drum rolls continues... The camera switches to the panel of judges. Terry Ryan... Rob Antony... Ron Gardenhire... Paul Molitor... Tom Kelly and Thrylos. The drum roll continues... The drummer... Nearly exhausted... Yells out... "Come on Already... I can't do this all day"

The Host says... Sam Deduno... "You Are... Safe"

The audience goes nuts... The panel of judges stands up and claps with very approving looks on their faces. Sam rushes into the arms of his teammates. The Bumper Music plays as the camera stays on Deduno hugging and high fiving his teammates. He High Fives Jason Kubel while hugging Scott Diamond...He Peels off of Diamond into the Arms of Trevor Plouffe and a double high five with Mike Pelfrey left hand and Pedro Florimon right hand... Waiting in line for a hug is Brick Tamland... He kisses Sam on the lips. Sam pauses and wonders who that was. And is quickly fist bumped by Aaron Hicks as they fade to commercial.

5. Daylight Savings Time:

How thoughtful of someone to decide to snatch an hour out of my life... All our lives (except Chief)... Hold it and give it back to me in the Fall. I hope that hour comes back in decent shape. I hope it doesn't come back wrinkled or with stains on it.

It it also occurs to me... If it's your Birthday today. Your Birthday is only 23 hours long. Everybody else gets at least 24 Hours. That Sucks for You and there isn't anything you can do about it. Well... There is one thing... You could move in with Chief. Living in Tucson... He gets Savings time immunity.

There is one nice thing about Daylight Savings time!!! My clock will be correct again. Changing the Time on my Alarm Clock is complicated. It has a bunch of tiny buttons and they are not clearly labeled. I used to adjust the time using the instructions. I didn't do it very often so I didn't memorize the process and then I lost the instructions. So... My alarm clock has been off all Winter... All Winter... I had to quick math every morning. "It says 7:14... It's really 6:14. I can sleep another 15 minutes. Ah hell... I'm awake doing math... Might as well get up".

Today my Alarm Clock is correct again. However... My watch is now off and as of this moment... I can't find the instructions for changing the time on my watch!!!

Edited by Riverbrian, 09 March 2014 - 10:10 AM.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#2 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

A RB game thread setup.

Life is better with baseball.

#3 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

It it also occurs to me... If it's your Birthday today. Your Birthday is only 23 hours long. Everybody else gets at least 24 Hours. That Sucks for You and there isn't anything you can do about it. Well... There is one thing... You could move in with Chief. Living in Tucson... He gets Savings time immunity.

Great stuff, as always. But you know, if you're born on February 29, you only get 24 hours every 4 years -- just a shorter version of Brigadoon. And personally, I've always thought that December 26 was the suckiest day for a b-day. :)

My alarm clock is also correct again. (Okay, I actually keep 2 -- one set to DST and one on regular time. That way I don't have to change the time, just the clock).

#4 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

Great stuff, as always. But you know, if you're born on February 29, you only get 24 hours every 4 years -- just a shorter version of Brigadoon. And personally, I've always thought that December 26 was the suckiest day for a b-day. :)

My alarm clock is also correct again. (Okay, I actually keep 2 -- one set to DST and one on regular time. That way I don't have to change the time, just the clock).

A friend of mine owns a nightclub and he was short bouncers one night so I offered to help him out. I thought be interesting for a night since I've never done it before.

A guy walks in and I ask for his ID... It says February 29, 1984. I say... "I'm sorry you can't come in"... He says... "I'm 30 years old"... I say... "No... It's says February 29... That makes you 7 years old... Come back in 2068".

He laughed and started to walk in... I stop him and say... "Young Man... I'm serious... Go home".

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Nice inning for Pelf!!! His split had some hard sink to it.

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

I think Mastro is gonna run!!!

#7 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Mastro has got to be going, doesn't he, if he wants that to be a reason to get the job?
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

Mastro has got to be going, doesn't he, if he wants that to be a reason to get the job?

The only player with that potential skill.

#9 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

I didn't remember Manship having a 12-6 breaking pitch.

#10 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Agreed. But if I'm him, I take every opportunity to point that out. You only get so many opportunities in ST games to be in a SB situation and he's coming off an injury. I'd want to remove any doubt in the minds of the decision-makers.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

#11 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Mastro did, indeed showcase his speed. Not sure what Mauer was doing there.
[/COLOR]

#12 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

Nice Job Mauer. I don't mind him getting nailed by the cut. We need aggressive base running and it looked like the ball was high and coming through to the plate.

Nice job all around.

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Agreed. But if I'm him, I take every opportunity to point that out. You only get so many opportunities in ST games to be in a SB situation and he's coming off an injury. I'd want to remove any doubt in the minds of the decision-makers.

I agree... And especially when you factor in that he typically goes like 127 % of the time during the regular season.

I think Gardy wanted to see Suzuki work a hit and run.

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

Suzuki looked perfect with that catch, set up and throw. He's calling a good game as well. Pelfrey has been sharp.

#15 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

Nice throw by Suzuki there. On the money.
[/COLOR]

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Does anyone have the 16 cuts today. Buxton was one... That's all they said.

#17 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Popping in to catch an inning or two before I have to leave for the airport. :)
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#18 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

From Bollinger:

Buxton and Meyer, who are both not on the 40-man roster, were reassigned to Minor League camp along with right-handers Lester Oliveros and Yohan Pino; catchers Kyle Knudson, Matt Koch and Stuart Turner; outfielder Chris Rahl and infielder Miguel Sano, who is set to undergo Tommy John surgery on Wednesday in New York.

Seven players on the 40-man roster were also optioned, including right-hander Trevor May and left-handers Logan Darnell, Edgar Ibarra and Brooks Raley to Triple-A Rochester. First baseman Kennys Vargas was optioned to Double-A New Britain, while infielder Jorge Polanco and outfielder Max Kepler were optioned to Class A Advanced Fort Myers.

#19 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

Heading for the warmth?

#20 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Airport?

Going somewhere or just going to hang around O'Hare and soak up the atmosphere?

#21 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Does anyone have the 16 cuts today. Buxton was one... That's all they said.

Check the minor league forum ... it was written up there.

#22 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Don't blame Pelfrey for being upset. Gotta get that inside corner call.
[/COLOR]

#23 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Heading for the warmth?

Airport?

Going somewhere or just going to hang around O'Hare and soak up the atmosphere?

Heading to Fort Myers. And leaving from Midway. Rented a convertible. ooou yeah :)

#24 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Pelfrey will be doing a little more PFP.

#25 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

Don't blame Pelfrey for being upset. Gotta get that inside corner call.

Yeah. Looked like he had it. But I guess it's ST for the umps, too.

#26 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

From Bollinger:

Buxton and Meyer, who are both not on the 40-man roster, were reassigned to Minor League camp along with right-handers Lester Oliveros and Yohan Pino; catchers Kyle Knudson, Matt Koch and Stuart Turner; outfielder Chris Rahl and infielder Miguel Sano, who is set to undergo Tommy John surgery on Wednesday in New York.

Seven players on the 40-man roster were also optioned, including right-hander Trevor May and left-handers Logan Darnell, Edgar Ibarra and Brooks Raley to Triple-A Rochester. First baseman Kennys Vargas was optioned to Double-A New Britain, while infielder Jorge Polanco and outfielder Max Kepler were optioned to Class A Advanced Fort Myers.

I thought Meyer could have stuck around longer.

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

Heading to Fort Myers. And leaving from Midway. Rented a convertible. ooou yeah :)

Girls in a convertible... Wind whipping through your hair. Many Rocks Songs have been written about that!!!

#28 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

Another good inning for Pelfrey. Could have had a K, then got two potential DP balls.
[/COLOR]

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

I thought the same about Meyer, RB but I think they may have just been clearing out some of the logjam. Somebody tweeted a few minutes ago that Perk and Burton are likely to get some work in minor league camp. Presumably because they still have so many pitchers who need to get work and Perk & Burton are locks.

On the really plus side, hardly notice Pelfrey working this season -- what a nice change from the molasses last season.

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Pelfrey has been refreshingly sharp. That sink is sinking. If he keep that pitch throughout the year... People wiil complain less about him!!!