Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Berardino: Rosario will report late to minor league camp (excused absence)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,758 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

http://blogs.twincit...ues-agent-says/

Let's all hope that Eddie gets his life in order and can come back and focus on baseball.

#2 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

Not encouraging, to put it mildly.

#3 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

yes, I also find this concerning.
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#4 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Guess I would rather have whatever the problem is get addressed now than in a couple of years when he's in the big leagues. Hope the young man is getting things straightened out and can get his career back on track soon. If so, in a couple of years this will just be a distant footnote that nobody will care about.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#5 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

Apparently "rehab" for MiL BB players doesn't have the cache` as it does for celebrities.

#6 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

It's too early to tell if he's going to be one of those guys with an ongoing tendency to self-destruct, but he's waving a big red flag. Makes me glad we have Dozier and Polanco around.

#7 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

It's too early to tell if he's going to be one of those guys with an ongoing tendency to self-destruct, but he's waving a big red flag. Makes me glad we have Dozier and Polanco around.

It it nice to have that depth.

#8 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

So he's taking the Josh Hamilton route?

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

The Twins said that Polanco will be used as a shortstop going on (and this is great news), so he is not 2B depth unless something happens
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

Why the Twins would consider using Polanco at shortstop only escapes me, doesn't that restrict their options in the middle infield severely?

#11 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

Why the Twins would consider using Polanco at shortstop only escapes me, doesn't that restrict their options in the middle infield severely?

They already know he can play 2B at a high level, now they are going to try for a home run and see if he can play SS.

#12 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

The a Twins are wise to play Polanco at SS exclusively. He brings a lot more value if he can play that position. Moving to 2B if it fits the roster best when he hits the majors will not be difficult.

#13 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

I think people need to take a big step back in how they talk about Rosario and whatever off-field issues he has. When his drug suspension was reported, it was not reported what the substance was, and with this latest report of his excused absence from camp, there is no real evidence that it's related to his drug suspension.

Berardino's "source with knowledge of the situation"? One source, unnamed, uncorroborated. Not enough.

You can argue that it's more than a coincidence if you want, but that's jumping to a conclusion in a way that respects neither the player's privacy nor his integrity.

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

I'm not sure the issue here. It's an excused absence... at that point, I don't worry about it. He went through proper channels and got permission to report late... for all we know, he has a relative on his/her deathbed. It could be rehab too for all we know, but we don't know.

As for the cocaine accusation, I thought there were plenty of sources indicating this was something he took while rehabbing. This is new, and hopefully the agent is telling the truth here.

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

I agree with diehard. He and the Twins know what's going on and hopefully he takes care of whatever problem he has. Good luck to him.

#16 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

The fact that he was suspended might have absolutely nothing to do with this. Let's not jump to conclusions.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."