Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Is this De Aza thing serious?

de aza outfield twins
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Trautmann13

Trautmann13

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Earlier in the off-season I believe I remember seeing something connecting the Twins loosely to Alejandro De Aza. Now there are reports of the Twins having "quite a few (De Aza) fans in Minnesota's front office." Is this a serious possibility or just more PR bullcrap? Would it even be smart to sign him into this cluttered outfield with Willingham, Presley, Hicks, Parmelee, Arcia ML ready and Buxton (please) only a year away?

#2 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

If the cost is right, go ahead and bring him in. He is a legit CF and has a league average bat. Once Buxton is ready you can trade him away.

Willingham should not be in the outfield and should be a DH, Parmelee shouldn't be blocking the Twins from bringing anyone in. I like Hicks a lot but he still may need some more time in AAA, the only real OF the Twins have at this point who should be starting everyday is Arcia.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#3 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

On the one hand, yes, you should always consider any opportunity that you think could make your team better now or in the future and De Aza could do that.

But the Twins don't NEED him, so you would think other teams would be willing to give up a little more than the Twins would to get him.

Factor in the natural reluctance of most teams to trade MLB players within their own division and this comes out as highly unlikely to me.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#4 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

It cant be. anything the twins would trade for him would be a downgrade in CF....and we have the best CF prospect in history outside of Mike Trout or Willie Mays working his way up. I dont see it happening

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

It doesn't make sense from a need standpoint... That said, the Twins learned last offseason that CFs can get nice returns on the trade market, and developing decent center fielders is something Minnesota seems to do well. I'd go with the "cannot hurt".

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

How low are the White Sox selling him? He seems like a pretty useful player, but like everyone else, I don't want to give the White Sox a legit prospect for a guy who will be gone/expendable in a year or two.

Though he may be a better leadoff option than anyone on the team currently, with some pop to boot. Don't really need another lefty though.

#7 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

I've always liked De Aza, but we have the depth we need in the OF. Unless he's virtually free I wouldn't trade anybody for him.

#8 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

If they'd take Worley for him... I'm all for it...

#9 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

We have Hicks and Buxton for center fielders and I think in the end they both are as good or significantly better than De Aza. They could use him this year but would have to hope to buy low and then sell high to make this work. I don't see that happening.

I have to believe Chicago would want something significant to pull the trigger and I don't know why we would give them anything significant unless we really think the guy is ready to take off or something. We also have tons of options for players in left and right field. I doubt this happens.

#10 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

If the cost is right, go ahead and bring him in. He is a legit CF and has a league average bat. Once Buxton is ready you can trade him away.

You almost made my head explode. My first reading was "Once Buxton is ready you can trade him [Buxton] away. After reading it a few more times, I figured out you meant to trade De Aza away, so I stopped hyperventilating.

No, you had it right the first time*

*Just kidding. He didn't really say that.

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

If the Sox would take a lower level prospect along with one of the out of option starters I might be more interested. Helping clear up the Worley/Diamond/Deduno mess would be nice in itself. Probably have to give up a decent looking prospect to go along with the pitcher though.

#12 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

^^^Whichever of those three pitchers mentioned leaving doesn't matter, it and they are still a mess. Just stick Gibson in the rotation and forget about the fifth rotation spot. Or does Gibson simply add to the mess? No one really knows yet about him but for sure we know about the other three, none of them would be considered in a rotation on any other MLB team. Oh maybe on their AAA teams they would be acceptable but that's about it.

#13 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

Willingham should not be in the outfield and should be a DH, Parmelee shouldn't be blocking the Twins from bringing anyone in. I like Hicks a lot but he still may need some more time in AAA, the only real OF the Twins have at this point who should be starting everyday is Arcia.

Agreed, also there's no guarantee with Hicks or Buxton and this target field outfield needs 2 good rangy outfielders and this team has zero depth.

#14 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

The Twins currently do not have any depth in the OF. In fact it's a position of weakness imo.

Opening day lineup
Presley - CF
Arcia - RF
? - LF
Willingham - DH

This is pitiful despite Buxton coming up soon and there is still room in the OF especially since Willy is likely on the way out. Even if you're an optimist regarding Hicks there is still room in the OF for the next couple of seasons. And De Aza is sneaky good.

#15 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

I've always liked De Aza, but we have the depth we need in the OF. Unless he's virtually free I wouldn't trade anybody for him.

Mastrianni, Ramirez and Pressly, are not proven and are at best 4th outfielders. Willingham is a terrible fielder. Arcia at best is a right fielder but is unproven, Collabello and Parmellee are first basemen who try to play right field. Hicks and Buxton both have a lot of potential, but that's all. A lot of players, not much proven quality.

i like the idea of Hicks, Buxton, and Arcia in the outfield, but there are no guarantees with any of those three. De Aza would be good insurance at the right price.

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,136 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

Mastrianni, Ramirez and Pressly, are not proven and are at best 4th outfielders. Willingham is a terrible fielder. Arcia at best is a right fielder but is unproven, Collabello and Parmellee are first basemen who try to play right field. Hicks and Buxton both have a lot of potential, but that's all. A lot of players, not much proven quality.

i like the idea of Hicks, Buxton, and Arcia in the outfield, but there are no guarantees with any of those three. De Aza would be good insurance at the right price.

There's a fighting chance that Parmelee is a better RF than he is at 1B. He has acquitted himself pretty well in the OF.

The DeAza move is of the type they should have done last year as insurance for Hicks. Maybe they've learned a hard lesson from that.

#17 Trautmann13

Trautmann13

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

If they'd take Worley for 2 balls and a bat I'd be all for THAT

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,580 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

There's a fighting chance that Parmelee is a better RF than he is at 1B. He has acquitted himself pretty well in the OF.

The DeAza move is of the type they should have done last year as insurance for Hicks. Maybe they've learned a hard lesson from that.

Exactly... I agree 100% and I fear... We are doing it again. I'd like a plan B.

The Twins have corner depth but CF is an inch deep right now. Hicks may be the guy this year but what if he isn't. That means AAA and in the meantime we have Presley.

I hate De Aza because he is a White Sox and I hate all White Sox. If he wore a different uniform I'd be a fan. I'd just be reluctant to give too much for him. I like the White Sox being weak on the farm.

As for Parmelee!!! He's not a concern in RF. He can play the position. He played it above average last year. He struggling to hit in the majors... I get that but he played a damn nice OF last year!

I don't understand why some keep trying to hang him as a defensive question mark. I watched 90 percent of the games last year and not once did Parm disappoint me in the field and I'm a defense guy... I'm typically hard on average defense... Not just below average defense.

Edited by Riverbrian, 07 March 2014 - 09:23 PM.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#19 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

No thanks. He's 29 and has regressed as his playing time and experience have increased. He struck out 147 times last season. We don't need that kind of man in our lives. We're better off giving Hicks the job and seeing once and for all if he can be counted on. He may not hit DeAza's robust .264. But give Aaron the 602 AB's the White Sux gave DeAza last year, and Hicks won't do any worse.

#20 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

I think we saw last year that Hicks could do worse. Even if Hicks is up and getting AB's the Twins still don't have answers elsewhere in their OF.

I think De Aza is going to get dumped because the White Sox have more or less committed to Eaton, Viciedo and Garcia in the OF with Konerko, Abreu and Dunn at 1b/DH.

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

I've never been overly interested in De Aza, but the more I think about it, the more I think it would pay off if the asking price isn't too steep. He's a leadoff hitter and can play CF. That's the kind of guy who has inflated trade value at the deadline, perhaps not as much at the moment. Plenty of teams are willing to give a young or out-of-position guy a shot early in the season, but when the pennant race heats up.....

#22 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

As for Parmelee!!! He's not a concern in RF. He can play the position. He played it above average last year. He struggling to hit in the majors... I get that but he played a damn nice OF last year!

I don't understand why some keep trying to hang him as a defensive question mark. I watched 90 percent of the games last year and not once did Parm disappoint me in the field and I'm a defense guy... I'm typically hard on average defense... Not just below average defense.

I hope that Parmellee's offense picks up to his AAA type numbers if he isn't learning a new position. I'm less concerned with his ability to hit the cut off and play the bounce off the wall than I am with his range. It was ok, but not great. With Willingham in LF that leaves acres of real estate to cover via CF. I have been one to have doubts about his outfield defense because it's not his natural position as far as I know. I hope he proves me foolish for doubting him.

Like you say , we're inch deep at CF and De Aza would solidify CF with certainty and if Hicks can't figure it out, it'll be ok, if Buxton needs tommy john surgery it'll be ok, if both Hicks and Buxton pan out, you have valuable trade pieces.

#23 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

No thanks. He's 29 and has regressed as his playing time and experience have increased. He struck out 147 times last season. We don't need that kind of man in our lives. We're better off giving Hicks the job and seeing once and for all if he can be counted on. He may not hit DeAza's robust .264. But give Aaron the 602 AB's the White Sux gave DeAza last year, and Hicks won't do any worse.

Concur.

And De Aza will be 30 in April, BTW.

#24 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

The Twins are interested in White Sox outfielder Alejandro De Aza and I think it makes a great deal of sense for them. The organization lacks any immediate help in centerfield and it would be great to grab a player who's had some success starting there. 2013 was a down year for De Aza, and with his stock lower and shrunken role in Chicago (due to Adam Eaton's acquisition), the Twins can get a decent player for cheap.

Logically speaking, a move like this would end both Darin Mastroianni's and Wilkin Ramirez's chances of making the 25 man roster. The outfield depth would theoretically be more balanced between corner guys and centers. Would likely result in a group of De Aza, CF Presley, Parmelee, Arcia, Willingham, (and possibly Kubel).

Sourced from HBT's Bill Baer
http://hardballtalk....ejandro-de-aza/

Edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse, 09 March 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

Anyone have a clue what the Sox are looking for in return? That sort of makes or breaks this for me.

#26 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Anyone have a clue what the Sox are looking for in return? That sort of makes or breaks this for me.

I couldn't tell you, but again I can't imagine much. Clearly they think they are okay with the outfield, so possibly some infielders to compliment 1B Jose Abreu or starting pitching. Another reason they are trading him would have to be because they aren't comfortable paying 4.25 million for a bench player. If we could exchange Diamond, Worley, or Deduno that would be great.

Edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse, 09 March 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#27 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

If the price is right I'm in, what are the Sox looking to fill?

#28 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,097 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

If the price is right I'm in, what are the Sox looking to fill?

The Twins have four soft-tossing lefty starters, one of whom is out of options!

#29 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

The Twins have four soft-tossing lefty starters, one of whom is out of options!

Yes, I realize that but your assuming the Sox would take any of them for De Aza. I'd move any of them for him if they would, don't really see it from their perspective though.

Edited by twinsnorth49, 10 March 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

Yes, I realize that but your assuming the Sox would take any of them for De Aza. I'd move any of them for him of they would, don't really see it from their perspective though.

Brian Duensing is the obvious guy to trade.

(I'm so going to miss Duensing when he leaves)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: de aza, outfield, twins