Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Baseball Prospectus "Top Tools"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 markos

markos

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

The BP Prospect Staff has selected a player with the "Top Tool" in various scouting categories, as well as listing 2-6 other prospects that were also considered. Though no Twin prospect won any of these categories, several of them were mentioned in the "Others Considered" discussions. These articles are behind the BP paywall, so those with subscriptions can find them here: http://www.baseballp....php?column=225

The last two articles focused on pitching, and 3 Twins pitching prospects were mentioned. Though the discussion is very brief, it is fun (and frankly a new experience) to see Twins pitchers praised for their elite stuff.

Fastball - Alex Meyer
"[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Gray, Giolito, and Meyer can all pump mid-90s gas while regularly touching 97-98 mph throughout their starts"[/FONT][/COLOR]
Slider - Kohl Stewart
"[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Stewart has some projection remaining in his slider, but he routinely fires better-than-plus [/FONT][/COLOR]present [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]sliders, featuring his own mid-80s velocity and slightly less sharp break than Stroman. Stewart could still refine the pitch further and has a chance to top this list in the future."[/FONT][/COLOR]
Changeup - Lewis Thorpe
"[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Numerous pitchers enter the discussion when looking for potential plus-plus changeups, including young international signings like Miguel Almonte and Lewis Thorpe, both of whom have a chance to dominate hitters with the pitch."[/FONT][/COLOR]

Edited by markos, 06 March 2014 - 07:46 AM.
typo and added hyperlinks

#2 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,993 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Was the AFL an anomaly? The game I saw Meyer sat 92-94 only touching 96-97 occasionally.

#3 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

Was the AFL an anomaly? The game I saw Meyer sat 92-94 only touching 96-97 occasionally.

I know there used to be some variations betweeen types of radar guns. Is that still an issue? How did the other pitchers compare to their norms?

Maybe he just had a bad day. It doesn't take much of a change in mechanics or health to lose 2 mph.

#4 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

FWIW, I was told by someone with BA last year that there not only are differences between the models of guns, but even between some newer versions of the same model, compared to older ones. There are also differences of a tick or two depending on the degree to which the gun is elevated above ground level.

Meyer throws hard and gets pretty good movement. That's about all I'm interested in knowing until we see whether it means he also misses bats this summer
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

It's also only March. These guys often need some repetition to build back up the arm strength after a few months of only modest baseball activity.