Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Roster Speculation: The Position Players

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...osition-Players

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Kubel, Parmelee and Arcia. It doesn't make sense to take three left handed RF/DH.

The Twins have to make the correct assessment on Parmelee. If he can be a valuable platoon player under team control, they must keep him. It would be a much easier decision if they had invested 1000 plate appearances in him rather than playing Doumit. What did they gain? An extra win?

Arcia needs to be in the majors.

Kubel or Parmelee. Which direction should they go? I would go with the player more likely to provide a useful piece on the next contending team. It could be Kubel if he can hit like he did in 2012 and the a Twins can trade him. The Twins must know that is very unlikely.

#3 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

I expect the April Active roster will be veteran laden. The rookies, 1st year guys will be in Rochester. I've changed my mind and now think only 12 pitchers on the roster, thus 13 position players. The OF will be Willingham, Presly, Kubel, Parmelee, and Mastroianni. The Infield: Plouffe, Florimon, Dozier, Mauer, and Escobar. Catching: Suzuki, Fryer, and Herrmann. Bartlett will be promoted if one of the INF falters and Bartlett is productive at Rochester. Arcia is the 1st OF to be promoted. Pinto stays in Rochester until Suzuki is traded, or September comes. This isn't my preferred roster--but is what I think will happen.

#4 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:06 AM

I asked Gardenhire "is it fair to suggest that Parmelee has the edge for right field." His response:

"No. It would be unfair to suggest that. But we know what's at stake with him. He knows what's at stake with him."

He's mentioned that "at stake with him" quote a couple of times now. I think Gardenhire is referring to the fact that Parmelee has no options. I think everyone wants Parmelee to find his way onto this roster.

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

Good summary of where we're at right now, John, much appreciated. I like jorgenswest take and agree with Kwak, we could see a lot of veterans.. hey if it wins games, then run with it..

I disagree with much of our position shifting. I include DH in that. (I am referring to the team in general, not statements this article.) For example, when will we need Chris Herrmann to play the outfield? We're happy for him but, how well does he catch? I understand there's lineup juggling and that guys need to learn new positions now and then. But when I hear a coach repeatedly quoted as saying we can "play this guy anywhere" it starts to feel like it's a team in a rec league. Just my perception. I think back to all the very good Twins teams, and most of the guys had a set position in the field and a regular place in the batting order. Not these teams :) ..maybe I'm still scarred by Cuddyer playing 2B.

If I were pretend GM I would make a clean slate and start by evaluating how guys hit and field according to their primary positions. This is a good year to start fresh with some new approach like that.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,501 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:15 AM

I do see Suzuki as a lock to make the 25-man roster, but not as a lock to be the starter. I can definitely see a 50% arrangement with Pinto there to begin the season, and then move to 75-25 in favor of Pinto by season's end.

I do not see Presley as a lock to make the 25-man and much more to be the starter. He really has not proven himself in the majors and so far looks really over matched at the plate and his range looks pretty smallish on the field (yesterday he let a fly ball, that was not routine but catchable with better positioning and faster reaction to its trajectory, sail over his head for example.)

Bartlett and Kubel look overmatched so far at the plate. Their timing is non-existent. Kubel is practically fighting with Parmelee for a spot here and Parmelee has the edge both on the field and at the plate. Bartlett is so bad, he might just be among the first cuts next week just for mercy's sake.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

If I had to guess right now, I think I'd say that if Parmelee wins right field, the bench is Escobar, Mastroianni, Fryer and ... let's go with Bartlett.

Easily THE WORST bench in baseball.

#8 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:12 AM

And not to mention that would create a need for three 40-man roster sorts. I'm assuming that you have Kubel as the DH, Mastro and Bartlett.

#9 ltwedt

ltwedt

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

Oh Man - can we please call an end to the Chris Parmalee experiment? Yeah, he hit a homer in one of the games so far, and had an RBI single, but if his confidence has major swings like it's suggested by Gardy, he will be just another poor fielding, .230 hitting corner outfielder.

I've seen the home games so far - watched Vargas put on a power display in BP that rivals the fireworks after the game last night, seen the CF run in an arc to miss a fly ball that was over his head! I'm thinking that Hicks has ONLY Mastro to worry about - Oh and Gardy's recollection of the massive blunder it was last year to bring him to Target Field directly from Ft Myers last year.

So - I agree with Plouffe, Florimon, Dozier, Mauer - Suzuki has some very rough edges - saw him flat miss a pitch last night, and was unable to hang on to the ball a couple of times - but he gets the job - I like Thrylos' 50%-50% call, and also his suggestion that it will be more Pinto by August. Now the outfield - this gets interesting - we'll be suffering with Willingham in left - he's a lock, I'm going to say Pressley in center, although I think he's a temp until Hicks finds himself in Rochester and makes the jump, and Parms in Right - Gardy likes him too much for me to think he would get left behind. Bartlett will be the utility guy, Arcia will be there along with Herrman and Escobar. Sounds like another 80+ loss season.

Now, if Hughes and Nolasco each win 14+, and Pelfry has a decent June and July it would be interesting. Only thing is, I can't see how they're going to score runs.

I'll be looking for the coming pitching roster discussion. For now I'll go with 76-86

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

It's too bad what your seeing from Bartlett.

#11 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

I do not see Presley as a lock to make the 25-man and much more to be the starter. He really has not proven himself in the majors and so far looks really over matched at the plate and his range looks pretty smallish on the field (yesterday he let a fly ball, that was not routine but catchable with better positioning and faster reaction to its trajectory, sail over his head for example.)

Does Presley have any options left?

#12 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

Oh Man - can we please call an end to the Chris Parmalee experiment? Yeah, he hit a homer in one of the games so far, and had an RBI single, but if his confidence has major swings like it's suggested by Gardy, he will be just another poor fielding, .230 hitting corner outfielder.

......and Parms in Right - Arcia will be there along with Herrman and Escobar.

Parmelee is lots of things meh, but he isn't just another poor fielder, he proved actually quite competent in RF last year.

And how can they start Parmelee and leave Arcia on the bench? Whenever Arcia is here, it will be to start.

#13 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

I expect the April Active roster will be veteran laden. The rookies, 1st year guys will be in Rochester. I've changed my mind and now think only 12 pitchers on the roster, thus 13 position players. The OF will be Willingham, Presly, Kubel, Parmelee, and Mastroianni. The Infield: Plouffe, Florimon, Dozier, Mauer, and Escobar. Catching: Suzuki, Fryer, and Herrmann. Bartlett will be promoted if one of the INF falters and Bartlett is productive at Rochester. Arcia is the 1st OF to be promoted. Pinto stays in Rochester until Suzuki is traded, or September comes. This isn't my preferred roster--but is what I think will happen.

Bartlet made it pretty clear in an interview that he has an "out" if he's not on the MLB roster after spring training and that he's essentially playing to impress not only the Twins, but other teams that might end up in need of a utility player. I don't think anyone can be surprised that he's off to a slow start after not playing for a year and a half, but if he starts to knock the rust off, you have to assume he very well might not accept a AAA assignment to start the year. Obviously, you don't make that a determining factor in your roster decision, but I'm just pointing out that you may not be able to assume he could be a call-up because he may not go to Rochester.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#14 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

Does Presley have any options left?

No. Not if I'm reading this page correctly: http://twinsdaily.co...er-Payroll-2014

edit: everyone out of options - Presley, Parmelee, Escobar, Plouffe, & Ramirez

Edited by Willihammer, 06 March 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#15 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

I would be sad if a team that has lost over 90 games a year for three years can't find space for young players with upside, and goes bad veteran heavy. Hopefully someday the minor league system will kick out players.

#16 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

LEN3 suggests Parmelee is trying out for a bench spot

Out of options, Parmelee is battling for a backup outfielder/designated hitter role that also might include some action at first base on the days Joe Mauer won’t play in the field.

http://www.startribu.../248683461.html

#17 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

How is Hicks and Pressly not even a position battle? Maybe Pressly is ahead because he does not have any options, but I was hoping to read some about that, but alas, nope. There was no mention of even a possibility that HIcks starts. Disappointing article.

#18 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

I really thought Kubel and Bartlett would come out of the gates strong. As usual I was wrong. I thought they had a lot at stake, a lot of MLB experience and high motivation to succeed. Maybe age is a larger factor than I realized. Anyway if they don't get it together fairly soon I am in the camp that wants the younger guys to get the playing time. Let those two aging veterans play somewhere else and give some of the young guys a chance.

I know it is early but Diamond really let the air out of my sails last night as well. I really thought he would be a different pitcher this year but it looks like nothing has really changed. Again it is very early but I was very disappointed with what I saw from him last night.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

Professional athletes tend to be who they are by the time they are 30....Diamond is what he is. a great AAAA pitcher who can get lucky and have a good year.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#20 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

I pay a little more attention to how hitters look this early in camp than I do the pitchers, especially guys who have been around a little while. In the first couple games, pitchers are sometimes working more on locating specific pitches than they are mixing things up the way they would in a game that counted. Diamond didn't look good, true. But I'll pay more attention to who's winning that 5th rotation spot later in March than I will right now.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#21 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

why is our roster so crappy? [sigh]

#22 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

I really want the position players to read:

C: Pinto
1B: Mauer
2B: Dozier
SS: Florimon
3B: Plouffe
LF: Arcia
CF: Hicks
RF: Parmelee
DH: Willingham

Bench: Escobar, Kubel, Suzuki, Presley

I want Hicks to win the CF job. I think the team needs his range and his defensive ability will make it worth it even if he struggles at the plate again. Give him time with Bruno to figure it out. I want Pinto to get the starting catcher job, but really, I just want him to get at least 50% of the starts. I don't see a lot of advantage to him going to AAA and rolling with Suzuki/Herrmann and we need his bat. I want Parmelee to make the team and be a real hitter, but I understand that he might only be a AAAA guy. Still, I'd rather find out definitely one way or another and he could be a decent rotation guy to play OF/1B/DH with Kubel & Willingham. Kubel has the best chance of being a quality bench bat and this team needs one. Presley is probably best as a quality 4th OF who would consistently be a late-game replacement in one of the corner spots for actual defense.

Team definitely needs an upgrade on offense; there's only one elite hitter in the lineup. We have to hope Dozier's second half is the real guy for this year, that Willingham is healthy, Plouffe finally figures out how to have a consistent season, and that Arcia realizes some of that potential to have a respectable offense. That's a lot of ifs. (and as Sam Jackson says, "I don't want to hear about no m-effin' IFS!")

But I do want to see preference given to younger players over older all things being equal.

#23 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Wilkin Ramirez is not much of a hitter. And it is feasible that Chris Herrmann could play CF in a pinch. He's pretty athletic. It would be nice for him to get some action either at CF or 3B. A C/4 corners guy is a nice guy to have as the 13th man. That way Pinto can play every day in Rochester until this Suzuki business fizzles out (which it will). The most sense to me is to start Hicks in CF and let Presley be the 4th OF. Presley is a very good 4th OF. Call me weird for being excited about not having Ramirez or the Clete Thomases of the world on the roster there.

Parmelee absolutely has to demonstrate that he can also play LF. That has to be obvious to him, right?

#24 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

great post jmlease1.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,605 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

I pay a little more attention to how hitters look this early in camp than I do the pitchers

It would be interesting to read a quote about a batter, "right now, he's just looking to crush mediocre fastballs down the middle. In another week, he'll start working on laying off of sliders in the dirt." :)

#26 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Is there any real evidence that Ramirez is a better hitter than Mastro?

#27 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

I really want the position players to read:

C: Pinto
1B: Mauer
2B: Dozier
SS: Florimon
3B: Plouffe
LF: Arcia
CF: Hicks
RF: Parmelee
DH: Willingham

Bench: Escobar, Kubel, Suzuki, Presley

I am not sure about Kubel but I would bet you get your wish on the other 12. Losing Sano for the season and the Rosario suspension nullified a big part of the improvement I was hoping to see this year. It was really hoping to see Willingham traded and Sano promoted by mid-season. Plouffe becomes a utility player and we make a decision on Parmelle / Presley by mid-season with Rosario taking one of those roster spots assuming he had performed in AAA.

Edited by Major Leauge Ready, 06 March 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

My god, I may need to change my over to an under on that 70 wins. This is one god-awful group. Especially without Arcia.

#29 Dave T

Dave T

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Yeah, no kidding. The pitching will be much improved, but the offense will be worse than last year with Morneau gone. Dammit, Sano, why didn't you get TJ surgery done in the off-season??

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Aside from production and Parmelee's lack of options, the Twins also have a $2 million incentive to send Kubel to Rochester. Kubel has to clearly be the better option, and so far that's not looking accurate.

Parmelee, Arcia and Willingham will rotate the LF/RF/DH situation for the first month at which point Willngham basically becomes the default DH.