Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

The Offseason of Liam Hendriks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

http://thebaseballdi...home-with-jays/

I know he is now a former Twin, but I found this article pretty interesting. In it, we learn about the craziness of his offseason. From his wedding, to being DFAd by the Twins, to being claimed by the Cubs, to being DFAd by the Cubs, to being claimed by the Orioles, to being DFAd by the Orioles, to being claimed by the Blue Jays.

Lots of quotes. Some good stuff on Luke Hughes. Just a really good story.

#2 dakotanative

dakotanative

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

I always supported Hendricks and wanted him to succeed. Back in the early 1980's I was part of a Marine Corps Expeditionary Force and we were practicing Desert Storm before there was Desert Storm. Well we brought thousands of Marines to the west coast of Australia. I was there for well over a month and had the opportunity to spend a week in Perth and was a guest of a local family for several days. Perth is one fine town and the weather out there is out of this world - very much like San Diego, but it was the hospitality that floored me. What great people and they loved the Marines. Well, I kind of looked at Perth as one of my favorite spots on the globe and took interest in one of their natives trying to make it to the Show with the Twins. Well, here is to Perth, Aussies in general and Liam Hendricks - God bless you all and good luck.

P.S. - If you are ever in Waikiki, HI the best bar on the strip is a two story Aussie bar and man can they party. Fun people! However, I have not seen the place since the late 1990s so it may be closed.

#3 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

Fortunately for Liam, his DFA action has all been in the offseason (thus far). Outside of a mini camp and fan fest he attended in his brief time with the Orioles, everything has been a "paper" transaction, so no moving, traveling, etc.

Hopefully he finds a home in Toronto and his DFA merry-go-round doesn't extend into the season, like Alex Burnett last year.

#4 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

For the sake of the player, I hope this rule is changed.

Teams select players knowing that they will designate them in a few weeks.

It had significant cost to Burnett last year and has to have been at least unsettling to Liam.

It is an easy fix.

If claimed in the offseason the player must remain on the 40 (or 25 if out of options) through June 1.

If claimed during season, player must remain on 40 (or 25) for 60 days.

This will give the player a long enough shot with new team and guarantee that the team is truly interested in their services.

If the acquiring team chooses to designate the player before deadline, he would return to original team once waivers are cleared (similar to rule 5).

Players on the fringe busting their tails to play in the majors deserve better.

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

Actually, getting claimed is not too bad. They continue getting higher pay while in DFA limbo and for staying on the 40 man.

In season, they could stand to quicken the process, and maybe ensure a little bonus to cover the player's expenses, but changing the rules as you suggest would make the player LESS likely to be claimed, and more likely to be removed from the 40 man, receive a lower salary, and be further away from returning to MLB.

Go ahead and ask Burnett or Hendriks if they would have preferred getting outrighted to AAA by their original team, instead of claimed by other teams.

Edited by spycake, 05 March 2014 - 08:18 AM.