Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Minor Leaguers Report Today

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:15 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...rs-Report-Today

#2 beyondclarity

beyondclarity

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

I'm looking forward to another trip down to Cedar Rapids early this season. Would you expect that Stewart, Felix Jorge, Gonsalves and Eades could all be there to start the season? They wouldn't hold any of them back for EST, would they? Any other names you expect will start there?

#3 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Seth, good catch that 25 of the pitchers are left-handed. When our favorite team decides to address an organizational weakness they don't fool around.

#4 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

Not to be debby downer, but two of the three guys I was looking forward to are not playing (Rosario and Sano)

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

I'm looking forward to another trip down to Cedar Rapids early this season. Would you expect that Stewart, Felix Jorge, Gonsalves and Eades could all be there to start the season? They wouldn't hold any of them back for EST, would they? Any other names you expect will start there?

I wouldn't expect Stewart or Gonsalves to be there Opening Day, but sometime during the season. Jorge will likely be there. I think there's a chance Eades goes to Ft. Myers, but could start in Cedar Rapids.

#6 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Seth, any idea where Adrian Salcedo will begin 2014. Will it be New Britain? Also, any word on whether or not he will be back starting after being in the bullpen his first year back from surgery?

#7 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Seth, good catch that 25 of the pitchers are left-handed. When our favorite team decides to address an organizational weakness they don't fool around.

I seem to recall that a couple of drafts back, nearly half of ALL the draftees were LH pitchers.

#8 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

I am looking forward to tracking the progress of the system as a whole this year. Bummer about Sano and Rosario but I am hoping for a couple of the guys outside the top 100 type prospects step-up this year and prove they are potentially high impact MLB players. I think those players developing take us from a bright future to something potentially really special.

Danny Santana and AB Walker are two that I will keep a close eye on. Santana because of need and Walker because there seems to be a large gap between his floor and ceiling. For SPs, Gonsolves is a guy that might end up being a real steal and Thorpe could be a guy that moves up the rankings quickly. Eades is also interesting. Some people still believe he has #2 stuff.

Who do you like to move up the rankings?

#9 SoCal Twin

SoCal Twin

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

Don't tell Stephen that Seth.

#10 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

I am looking forward to tracking the progress of the system as a whole this year. Bummer about Sano and Rosario but I am hoping for a couple of the guys outside the top 100 type prospects step-up this year and prove they are potentially high impact MLB players. I think those players developing take us from a bright future to something potentially really special.

Danny Santana and AB Walker are two that I will keep a close eye on. Santana because of need and Walker because there seems to be a large gap between his floor and ceiling. For SPs, Gonsolves is a guy that might end up being a real steal and Thorpe could be a guy that moves up the rankings quickly. Eades is also interesting. Some people still believe he has #2 stuff.

Who do you like to move up the rankings?

Picking 5 off the top of my head: Max Kepler, Amaurys Minier, Luke Bard, Stuart Turner, and Alex Wimmers.

#11 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

My projected CR rotation this year is:
Felix Jorge
Aaron Slegers
Ryan Eades
Austin Malinowski
Yorman Landa
Hein Robb

With Romero, Gonsalves, Stewart & Thorpe all ending the year at CR.

Twins are going to have to make some quick choices in the lower levels this year to ensure guys get innings, develop and build up strength.

Edited by clutterheart, 04 March 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#12 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

Tom Powers' article about Stewart suggested he could skip Elizabethton and go straight to CR. He mentions it right after a quote from Brad Steil, but it's not clear whether Powers is just speculating or got that indication from Steil. Of course, Stewart could start the year in Extended Spring Training and still go to CR without a stop in Etown first.

I agree that there could be a bit of a logjam of arms at Class A this summer. That's not altogether bad, since the Twins are so careful about the innings they put on these young arms. On the chance that the Kernels could reach the MWL playoffs again, it would be nice to have a couple of big time prospects available who haven't hit their innings limits.
I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

My projected CR rotation this year is:
Felix Jorge
Aaron Slegers
Ryan Eades
Austin Malinowski
Yorman Landa
Hein Robb

With Romero, Gonsalves, Stewart & Thorpe all ending the year at CR.

Twins are going to have to make some quick choices in the lower levels this year to ensure guys get innings, develop and build up strength.

I guess there really aren't a lot of guys here that get me excited. I want to see Stewart, Gonsalves, and Thrope from pretty much opening day. I think you could make a case for all of them.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

Don't tell Stephen that Seth.

I won't... ha! I promise! :)

I don't know where he will be. They're going to be protective of the high ceiling guys, so they may keep him out of Cedar Rapids for the first month (also innings counts). But, he certainly could be there as well.

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

Seth, any idea where Adrian Salcedo will begin 2014. Will it be New Britain? Also, any word on whether or not he will be back starting after being in the bullpen his first year back from surgery?

I would assume he'll be in the New Britain bullpen. I know he's not going to start the season as a starter, and I think they'll keep him in the bullpen.

#16 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

Thorpe has the most interest from me as a potential guy. Any idea where he may begin the season?

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

Thorpe has the most interest from me as a potential guy. Any idea where he may begin the season?

Extended Spring Training.

#18 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Not sure why other than the place not being ready, but a bunch of rookies practiced at City of Palms today, including Stewart. There's a big tent set up outside the locker room where the players have lunch now as the work continues inside.

Work groups and minor league schedule is on the counter in the office.

#19 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

I'm planning on going down to Spring Training next weekend. Can anybody post the minor league game schedule (on here) so my friends and I can figure out where we need to be to follow the right teams (A / A+ or AA / AAA)?

#20 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

If possible could someone please post the last week of pre-season games for the Twins in March and the schedule for the minor league teams in ALL classifications also for the same time period.

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Not sure why other than the place not being ready, but a bunch of rookies practiced at City of Palms today, including Stewart. There's a big tent set up outside the locker room where the players have lunch now as the work continues inside.

Work groups and minor league schedule is on the counter in the office.

The Cedar Rapids roster is practicing over there, and it's solely due to space. Once games start on Monday, they'll likely be back.

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

If possible could someone please post the last week of pre-season games for the Twins in March and the schedule for the minor league teams in ALL classifications also for the same time period.

See TwinsBaseball.com and look at their Schedule.

I have a minor league schedule, but I can't post it. What do people want to know? Which dates?

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

I'm planning on going down to Spring Training next weekend. Can anybody post the minor league game schedule (on here) so my friends and I can figure out where we need to be to follow the right teams (A / A+ or AA / AAA)?

Friday (3/21) - minor leaguers play Red Sox. (Rochester and New Britain play Pawtucket and Portland at the Red Sox facilities, Ft. Myers and Cedar Rapids play them at home)

Saturday (3/22) - Same teams play but they flip flop locations (Roch and NB at home, FM and CR there)

#24 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:15 AM

Could someone please post the Twins minor league schedules and locations for the last week of spring training beginning on 3/23.

#25 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

Could someone please post the Twins minor league schedules and locations for the last week of spring training beginning on 3/23.

I'll be in Ft Myers the same week. I'll be the "other old guy" wandering around. Maybe we'll get a chance to say hi.
I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#26 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

If Cricket is here that'll be 3 old guys.

March 23
12pm Rochester vx New Britain Field 2
Ft Myers vs Cedar Rapids 3
GCL Twins workout
March 24
1 pm Rochester vs Durham 2
New Britain vs Montgomery 3
Ft Myers @ Charlotte
Cedar Rapids @ Bowling Green
March 25
12pm
Rochester vs Norfolk 2