Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Berardino: Gardy's Comments on Attitude

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

http://blogs.twincit...ude-gardy-says/

Mike Berardino got some great comments from Ron Gardenhire today on players' attitudes.

[FONT=arial]You know what, kiss my a–. Let’s go kick somebody’s a–,” he said. “I’d rather have that all day long. I want a little attitude. We need attitude. Attitude wins baseball games, too.[/FONT]

It may surprise some, but these Gardy comments don't surprise me at all. He's always managed with a fire and liked his players to show the same.

As Gardy said,

[FONT=arial]“There’s a fine line between too cocky and showboating.[/FONT]

#2 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. If Gardy doesn't have a problem with an attitude then Ryan certainly does. They have done everything to either ship off "attitudes" or quell them. Gardy is the one that freaked out about Hicks flipping the ball into the infield last year without first removing the ball from his glove. Gardy is the one that chastised Livan for wearing "Bling bling".

Of course it's utterly ridiculous to have an attitude when you give up 11 hits/9 and strike out 4.5.

My favorite Twins team is the 2001-02 team that had AJ, Doug, Ortiz, Hunter, Guardado, Romero, Hawkins. This is half the reason why the news on Sano is so disappointing. I was hoping to see him incite a few riots this season after a slow homerun trot.

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

My favorite Twins team is the 2001-02 team that had AJ, Doug, Ortiz, Hunter, Guardado, Romero, Hawkins. This is half the reason why the news on Sano is so disappointing. I was hoping to see him incite a few riots this season after a slow homerun trot.

I second this so strongly. I love how humble and hard working Buxton is, but this team needs Sano's attitude so much. He's the one I really hope makes it to his full potential. (Though, obviously I hope both do. Just saying Sano brings something to the table desperately needed that Buxton can't/won't)

While I appreciate Gardy's take here, his words don't carry as much weight with me as his/the team's actions do over the years.

#4 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:21 AM

Talk is cheap. The actions of the last 10 years speaks way louder than what Gardenhire says now that he is fighting for a job that should have ended for sure this year, and for me, since 2006. If you truly want some attitude, stop trading away everyone that has it.

Edited by h2oface, 03 March 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#5 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

Buxton, Sano, and Arcia give me a lot of hope for this team finally having a cocky competitive attitude and winning drive to it again.

Arcia is aggressive in everything he does and as confident as they come, watching him strut around with shirt half unbuttoned and intensely react to everything that happens is a really welcome sight for me. He is my favorite Twin at the moment.

Sano is going to take a little longer now but once hes here he also is a cocky confident player that is going to show a lot of emotion, particularly after he demolishes a pitch out of a stadium.

Buxton is not provocatively cocky, but he plays with extreme intensity that can be seen as opposed to a Mauer type who just doesn't show it much (not a dig on Mauer he is amazing but very quiet about it). He is the best chance to truly lead the whole team and drive everyone to be better like a Hunter.

Having imposing pitchers is also going to be an extremely welcome sight. I cannot wait to see an opposing team have the "oh ****" reaction the first time through the lineup vs someone like Meyer.

No more small market crap, act like and be confident you are a competitive and imposing team, and its far more likely to become true. No more deer in the head lights Clete Thomas crap.
"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#6 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

Talk is cheap. The actions of the last 10 years speaks way louder than what Gardenhire says now that he is fighting for a job that should have ended for sure this year, and for me, since 2006. If you truly want some attitude, stop trading away everyone that has it.

Which ones got traded away?

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

Buxton, Sano, and Arcia give me a lot of hope for this team finally having a cocky competitive attitude and winning drive to it again.

Buxton is not provocatively cocky, but he plays with extreme intensity that can be seen as opposed to a Mauer type who just doesn't show it much (not a dig on Mauer he is amazing but very quiet about it). He is the best chance to truly lead the whole team and drive everyone to be better like a Hunter.

Good post. I think there are other guys, currently a little muzzled under the existing culture, who will let their inner-cockiness come to full bloom upon the ascendance of your Big Three:

!) Pinto, is pretty fearleass at the plate, once he earns the starting job, watch for him assert himself more openly.

2) Dozier, future vocal captain of the IF, hopefully ensconced there a long time, putting guys like Sano, Plouffe, Flori and Vargas in their places when they set the defensive scheme, or when someone screws up.

3) Perkins, already a go-to guy for the press. When things finally turn around here, I'd love to see him publicly make it known that he tells his mates: Get the lead and then just Get on my back and Give me the Dang Ball!

4) Gonsalves and Stewart, maybe too early to tell much, but their backgrounds suggest that they're not afraid of outspokenness and accepting the mantle of leadership roles.

#8 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

I guess I am lost and will likely always be lost on the cocky, passion players. I thought that when you were a true professional you were more Zen than a bundle of anger and emotion. Sure internally there is that inner drive to compete but that comes naturally to anyone who plays the game, but being cocky and rubbing it your opponents nose is the thing the Twins desperately need?

I thought the idea in sports was to not let the other guys get in your head and make you show emotion and take you out of your game. I thought the idea was to remain calm and focused at all times so that you have the best chance to succeed.

I always thought most everyone reviled the show boaters of the world and were only to happy when they were put back in their place. I don't know, I guess I am more into respecting your opponent, acting with good sportsmanship and being a decent human being. I guess I am more into that than someone punching somebody, or calling them out or what ever this great passion stuff is.

#9 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

The only one I can think of is Garza, who neither Ryan nor Gardy had anything to do with. A couple left like Hunter and Cuddyer, but let's be honest, it was never in the Twins best interest to keep either one of those guys at the cost.

Morneau seemed to have that kind of an attitude as well, the Twins have had players like that, and still do.

The main problem the past few years isn't Gardy or the attitude of the players, its the fact that this roster hasn't had many good players at all the last 3 years.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Garza, Lohse, Hardy and Gomez?

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

I guess I am lost and will likely always be lost on the cocky, passion players. I thought that when you were a true professional you were more Zen than a bundle of anger and emotion. Sure internally there is that inner drive to compete but that comes naturally to anyone who plays the game, but being cocky and rubbing it your opponents nose is the thing the Twins desperately need?

I thought the idea in sports was to not let the other guys get in your head and make you show emotion and take you out of your game. I thought the idea was to remain calm and focused at all times so that you have the best chance to succeed.

I always thought most everyone reviled the show boaters of the world and were only to happy when they were put back in their place. I don't know, I guess I am more into respecting your opponent, acting with good sportsmanship and being a decent human being. I guess I am more into that than someone punching somebody, or calling them out or what ever this great passion stuff is.

As exemplary as your sentiments are, not a lot of athletes apply a lot time towards the finer works of Minnesota's own, Robert Pirsig.

Posted Image

And there's a definite line between confidently cocky and rubbing your opponent's nose in it. See Puckett, Kirby.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Buxton is about as humble as it gets. So is Mauer... It's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm good with some flair, but there definitely is a line that can (and shouldn't be) crossed.

#13 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,523 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

[FONT=verdana]I don't think it is "looking for show boaters", it is looking for overt leadership and enthusiasm.

I keep going back to this part of an article about what the Red Sox looked for in the 2012-2013 off-season:

The offseason plan was built on four cornerstone ideas: hold contract lengths to three years, even if it meant overpaying on an average annual value; find a manager, unlike the last one, familiar with the local landscape and AL baseball from, oh, maybe the last decade or so; seek out extroverted baseball rats who would watch the game from the top step of the dugout and not behind a bucket of fried chicken in the clubhouse; and pack the lineup again with hitters who grind out at-bats.

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2uuWeRvXL

"Seek out extroverted Baseball Rats who would watch the game from the top step of the dugout" -- in a sense, I think that is what Gardenhire is talking about here. As much as I sometimes have problems with Gardy, the one thing he has emphasized over the years is that baseball is a GAME and games are meant to be fun. There is a reason he liked the Nick Punto's and Michael Cuddyer's on the team -- they were hustling extroverts.

The Twins have lost a lot of that. Joe Mauer is a very professional, confident ballplayer -- I'm sure he has some great leadership qualities and that younger players can learn a lot from him but as the "face of the team", he just isn't what I think of as a "fun guy" or an "extroverted" baseball rat.

This new generation of prospects has an opportunity to bring back overt enthusiasm and a little a**-kicking.
[/FONT]

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

I'm sure Gardy would be the first one to tell you talk is cheap, this isn't ground breaking stuff from him in some desperate attempt to keep his job, he's always been this way. He's just trying to get some guys to step up, problem is if you're not that kind of guy you just don't become one artificially.

#15 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

Buxton is about as humble as it gets. So is Mauer... It's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm good with some flair, but there definitely is a line that can (and shouldn't be) crossed.

I do agree, but I think it can be a negative when your best player and role model is too passive. If you are up 10 runs in the 9th inning and your best hitter gets a ball in the middle of his back, I want him to tell the pitcher where to go intead of put his head down and trot to first.

#16 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

As exemplary as your sentiments are, not a lot of athletes apply a lot time towards the finer works of Minnesota's own, Robert Pirsig.

And there's a definite line between confidently cocky and rubbing your opponent's nose in it. See Puckett, Kirby.

I get Pucket he was a "good" personality and every time he got on 1st base always was chatting away. There is a reason he was liked and respected by his peers.

I get more concerned about championing Sano with Home run trots etc. that I think are dangerous primarily for his future. Personality is fine but I don't see it trumping skill. I guess that is my biggest beef here. It seems like many people think personality is the missing piece on this team that will carry them somewhere. I think it is more about the skill the players bring than what personality they have. Who cares if Mauer isn't Puckett if he performs at the same level or beyond?

Edited by Dman, 03 March 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#17 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

Meh.

All this talk about attitude is interesting and fun, but it is dwarfed 100-fold by results on the field. Thome was known as one of the nicest guys in the game, but the results of his hitting should have put fear into the cockiest pitcher around.

I know clubhouse leadership is important, but it's pretty tough for those of us not in the clubhouse to really understand what guys are like inside it. Leadership is a nuanced skill, and every leader exhibits it a little differently.

#18 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

[FONT=verdana]I don't think it is "looking for show boaters", it is looking for overt leadership and enthusiasm.

I keep going back to this part of an article about what the Red Sox looked for in the 2012-2013 off-season:

The offseason plan was built on four cornerstone ideas: hold contract lengths to three years, even if it meant overpaying on an average annual value; find a manager, unlike the last one, familiar with the local landscape and AL baseball from, oh, maybe the last decade or so; seek out extroverted baseball rats who would watch the game from the top step of the dugout and not behind a bucket of fried chicken in the clubhouse; and pack the lineup again with hitters who grind out at-bats.

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2uuWeRvXL

"Seek out extroverted Baseball Rats who would watch the game from the top step of the dugout" -- in a sense, I think that is what Gardenhire is talking about here. As much as I sometimes have problems with Gardy, the one thing he has emphasized over the years is that baseball is a GAME and games are meant to be fun. There is a reason he liked the Nick Punto's and Michael Cuddyer's on the team -- they were hustling extroverts.

The Twins have lost a lot of that. Joe Mauer is a very professional, confident ballplayer -- I'm sure he has some great leadership qualities and that younger players can learn a lot from him but as the "face of the team", he just isn't what I think of as a "fun guy" or an "extroverted" baseball rat.

This new generation of prospects has an opportunity to bring back overt enthusiasm and a little a**-kicking.
[/FONT]

The Red Sox did have personality and a family feel to the club with the Beards. It was interesting to see them rally around that. Although the beards were cool and all, there turn around doesn't happen with out great pitching and that was the largest difference to me in that team. They had horrible pitching the year before and they stunk. Excellent pitching last year and they won a world series. Maybe the beards helped but I highly doubt that personality put them over the hump as it was talent and good fortune that did that. What if every team grew beards and hired baseball rats? 29 teams are still going to lose, why? Because of the talent level on each team.

I like the new guys coming up and it will be exiting to see what they can do. I think youth will bring enthusiasm to this team as you stated but their talent will decide how long people stay exited. I love your comments on this board.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

I'll take talented players first.....much more important than fire. I hope they are looking for talented players. We just don't know anything about what the players are like as leaders/personalities on the field hardly at all.
Lighten up Francis....

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

I'll take talented players first.....much more important than fire. I hope they are looking for talented players. We just don't know anything about what the players are like as leaders/personalities on the field hardly at all.

However, just like in the workforce, team dynamics can (and do) have an impact on performance. I think having a blend of personalities is incredibly important so that they work as positive forces for each other.

And for me - I don't care if enthusiasm crosses into some sporadic showboating. Baseball is way too uptight for a game that gets played out in the sun, in beautiful weather, with a minimal of physicality. We as fans should lighten up about it and maybe the players will too. There's far too much pouting by millionaires about someone being excited about their achievements. If you don't like it - don't let them do it the next time.

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

I'm glad to see that some personality is welcomed in the Twins locker room.

I don't know that I like the talk about a "line" that may or may not be toed though. A line is pretty subjective, who's in charge of setting the "line" that should not be crossed? And is that line consistant for all players or does it get moved depending on the players skill level or frequency of instances of "attitude"?

#22 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

I would rather be reviled than dismissed entirely.

#23 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

I'm glad to see that some personality is welcomed in the Twins locker room.

I don't know that I like the talk about a "line" that may or may not be toed though. A line is pretty subjective, who's in charge of setting the "line" that should not be crossed? And is that line consistant for all players or does it get moved depending on the players skill level or frequency of instances of "attitude"?

Gardy, yes, no, yes

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

Are you AJ's agent in another life?

#25 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

Are you AJ's agent in another life?

I wish.

#26 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

However, just like in the workforce, team dynamics can (and do) have an impact on performance. I think having a blend of personalities is incredibly important so that they work as positive forces for each other. And for me - I don't care if enthusiasm crosses into some sporadic showboating. Baseball is way too uptight for a game that gets played out in the sun, in beautiful weather, with a minimal of physicality. We as fans should lighten up about it and maybe the players will too. There's far too much pouting by millionaires about someone being excited about their achievements. If you don't like it - don't let them do it the next time.

Agreed. Every organization I've been in my entire life--professional, personal, recreational--has been positively or negatively affected by leadership and "chemistry." I doubt professional baseball is markedly different.Of course talent is necessary, but the W/L record rarely perfectly mirrors talent level. I believe there's more at play than just talent.

#27 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

I guess I don't completely understand what you mean. A home run show boated is worth more than one that is not? Or excellence is only acknowledged when show boating? I am not sure I follow.

#28 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Agreed. Every organization I've been in my entire life--professional, personal, recreational--has been positively or negatively affected by leadership and "chemistry." I doubt professional baseball is markedly different.Of course talent is necessary, but the W/L record rarely perfectly mirrors talent level. I believe there's more at play than just talent.

The problem is then why poor over stats? Why give stats such importance when it is leadership that matters so much. Stop talking about WAR, OPS etc because if they don;t have passion they just aren't worth it. I don't think you can have it both ways. As long as someone isn't disruptive to the club house how much influence do they have? Games come down to performance. Stats define performance and that is why players are measured by them and not their leadership qualities.

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,523 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

No, it doesn't come down entirely to performance -- especially when one is talking about a rung lower than the very top performers in the game.

We are all more willing to put up with a cr*ppy attitude from a "Superstar" ... not so much when it comes to a journeyman.

Statistics are important. They are not the be all or end all.

#30 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

uh, Micheal Jordan "talked trash". So did many other of the great players.