Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Sano Tweaks Elbow, Will Get Examined

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

http://blogs.twincit...s-set-for-exam/

See Mike Berardino's terrific blog with all the details and quotes from Rob Antony.

Sano tweaked his elbow yesterday making an off-balanced throw to 1B. He came out of the intrasquad game and is set to be re-examined this afternoon.

I agree with Antony in saying that they had to get him into game action to see how it would respond. He had no problems throughout the throwing program and making regular throws. he had made a couple of plays earlier in the game yesterday.

Hopefully it is nothing, but obviously at this point, there is new concern.

#2 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,148 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image

[/freakout over]

#3 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

Rest and rehab.... Followed by tjs!!!

#4 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Rest and rehab.... Followed by tjs!!!

Anything that prevents him from hitting .415 with 8 HR's this spring is probably a good thing. If we send him down after that the fringe fans and even some real fans will go nuts. I have no doubt he will be a productive major leaguer starting at some point this year, but if we rush him I feel like equaling Hicks #'s early might not be all that automatic.

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Damn.

#6 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Might as well mark him down for Tommy John.

Expect to see him in June of 2015.

#7 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Damn.

Agreed

#8 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

For Sano this sucks but for the Twins perhaps a blessing. Better for him to have this issue taken care of now instead of during one of the 6 years we have him for sure on our team. It is unfortunate but hopefully will work out well in the long run for everyone.

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

Might as well mark him down for Tommy John.

Expect to see him in June of 2015.

I believe TJ surgery for players is a faster recovery time. He might be able to play in Sept or early the AFL (if he were eligible).

#10 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

I believe TJ surgery for players is a faster recovery time. He might be able to play in Sept or early the AFL (if he were eligible).

Yeah but knowing the Twins they will try to avoid the surgery only to do it 3 months later. Then he has to prove he can hit in the minor leagues before being promoted. So my timeline is probably optimistic.

#11 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

$&*% !!!
Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
Spring Training Regular since 2011.

#12 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

deleted

Edited by johnnydakota, 01 March 2014 - 11:55 PM.

#13 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

Posted Image
I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

#14 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

$&*% !!!

deleted

Edited by johnnydakota, 01 March 2014 - 11:55 PM.

#15 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

I'm disappointed but not surprised.

#16 thetank

thetank

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

For Sano this sucks but for the Twins perhaps a blessing. Better for him to have this issue taken care of now instead of during one of the 6 years we have him for sure on our team. It is unfortunate but hopefully will work out well in the long run for everyone.

Let's wait until the exam. No blessing at all since many 3b never get this injury.

#17 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Should have done it in December. For position player he could have maybe played half a season. Doesn't really need an elbow to play first anyway does he?

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

I had, what I thought was, a completely unjustified bad feeling about this over the offseason. I'm sad to hear it may have been justified.

But it is another valuable lesson about counting chickens......

#19 kydoty

kydoty

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Sano tweaks elbow. Twins doctors awaiting results of colonoscopy.
 [/HR]"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

#20 Wyorev

Wyorev

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

As soon as I read this, I figured there would be folks on TD criticizing the Twins handling of Sano's health care. A bit predictable.
I hope Mr. Sano is ok with rest, and if he has surgery, all goes well, and he can get back on track ASAP.

#21 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

"But it is another valuable lesson about counting chickens......"

Concur. Let's hope it's a short lesson.

#22 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Sano's Agent (and roommate, I think):

http://blogs.twincit...e-than-nothing/

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

The Twins handled it perfectly to this point...

Now we can just hope for the best, whether that's surgery or not.

Here is Berardino's update, including discouraging comments from Sano's agent, Rob Plummer.

#24 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

You can really see the different stages of loss in the comments:Denial, anger, bargaining, etc. I'm at depression. Why can't we have anything nice?

#25 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

The Twins handled it perfectly to this point...

Now we can just hope for the best, whether that's surgery or not.

Here is Berardino's update, including discouraging comments from Sano's agent, Rob Plummer.

For all the angst about the Twins' doctors, I don't think I trust Dr. Plummer's diagnosis at all.

Meanwhile...."Here we go, Trevor, here we go!" <clap, clap> "Here we go, Trevor, here we go!"

#26 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

I hope they don't play the wait and see game.

When was the last time that worked??

#27 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

Man This is really disheartening stuff, The worst thing now is if the Twins are in that grey area or on the fence about which direction to choose:

1: Rest AND ReHab. (which lets face it, ultimately could just dely the inevitable)

2: Have an actual surgery.

It seems like those are the only options, in which i'd stess with #2 the timing and decision on the actual surgery is very carefully chosen.
Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#28 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Either way it looks like much of if NOT ALL OF Miguel's 2014 is a lost season.

Rosario has the short end of it it turns out.

Miguel should not play a single game in 2014, if he's not 100% healthy.
Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

[FONT=arial]I have often been as skeptical as most of the Twins medical and training staff but I really don't think there is anything to be critical about here.

As stated in the Berardino blog:[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]There was some discussion between Sano’s camp and the Twins about having Tommy John surgery at that point, which might have put him back on a field sometime during the first half of the 2014 season.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Sano traveled to the Twin Cities for a full exam in November and also went to see noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. The decision was made at that time to keep Sano shut down from all throwing until his elbow improved with rest.

For anyone who has been living in a cave and hasn't heard Dr. Andrews' name previously, here's an interesting interview with him: http://msn.foxsports...-andrews-011414

He is basically the "gold standard" of orthopedic surgeons. Despite all of the advances in medicine, there is still a lot of "art" to go along with the science especially when it comes to diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

I've had several relatives and friends who died either in routine surgery or shortly thereafter -- these were otherwise healthy people who died of reactions to tests, untreatable post-op infection, etc.

NO SURGERY is entirely without risk -- even for someone young and healthy. And yes, there have been players for whom the "wait and see" game has worked. We just don't hear about them as often as those who undergo the knife.
[/FONT]

#30 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

I hope they don't play the wait and see game.

When was the last time that worked??

Meyer.