Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Position Battle: Fifth Starter

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...e-Fifth-Starter

#2 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,749 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

This will be a focus throughout spring training. On field performance is just one component IMHO. It is going to take good managin' and general managin' to provide depth, allow talent to move forward, and put the best possible rotation together.

#3 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

The Twins are going to have to cut bait with at least one of these guys, whether it's in spring training or a couple months into the season. They'll need to open up a spot for Gibson sooner than later IMO.

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,452 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Gibson isn't young.....really wish that Pelfrey money was spent otherwise.....but he'll just sit in AAA for another half year, losing his value to the team, since his value is in actually playing in the majors. Sigh.

I think Worley wins the spot.

#5 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

Gibson isn't young.....really wish that Pelfrey money was spent otherwise.....but he'll just sit in AAA for another half year, losing his value to the team, since his value is in actually playing in the majors. Sigh.

I think Worley wins the spot.

His value is coming up and staying up and becoming the 2-3 the Twins project him to be. Does it really matter if it takes another month or so?

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,452 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Nope, not if it takes a month or so. But my money is on the rotation they have and Worley, with Meyer and Gibson watching for at least half a year. If they think that is likely this year, why sign Pelfrey?

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#7 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Nope, not if it takes a month or so. But my money is on the rotation they have and Worley, with Meyer and Gibson watching for at least half a year. If they think that is likely this year, why sign Pelfrey?

When have the Twins ever maintained the same five starters they opened with for half a year?

#8 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

I agree with you on Swarzak. He posted a 2.91 ERA over 96 innings in 2013, and a 1.16 WHIP. More importantly, Swarzy survived Twinsfest with no wrestling injuries! Worley or Diamond can swap places with him in long relief. Either Pelfrey, Hughes, Nolasco, or Correia will extend their time in Florida with a sore shoulder or a pulled hammy. I also wonder what Deduno could do out of the pen, not unlike the Perkins conversion.

#9 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,452 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

I don't think we are going to agree. They have plenty of guys in AAA that could take Pelfrey's spot, I don't agree with the signing when you already have Deduno, Gibson, Meyer, Diamond, the lefty guy who's name I can't recall...I count 5 guys fighting for 2 spots. IMO, and I am not trying to convince anyone I am right, that's plenty, and that money and roster spot could have been used otherwise. We just disagree. No harm in that.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#10 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

I think it will be Deduno if healthy, Worley to the pen(he has worked there before) and Diamond to the waiver wire. That will be the best Twins result.

#11 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

I think 5th starter spot is Worley's to lose given his NL record. I also suspect somebody will come up with a sore arm, hammy or shoulder which will give Diamond/Deduno a shot. The Twins should trade somebody when Meyer is ready (or Gibson).

#12 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

I don't think there will be a 5th starter. I think there will be a rotation of 4 starters, 4 spot-starters/long relief, 4 short relief/set-up/LOOGY, and 1 closer. There will be plenty of starts for the "spot" guys to display their wares and allow the flexibility to use a LHP (or RHP) based on match-up consideration as well as "go with the hot hand", yet provide cover for not reusing a "spot" guy because he had a poor game. The cover story is "options", flexibility to permit Gardenhire to use anybody he wants without a media circus due to using someone else to start a game. We have heard many times the word "options" with respect to pitching (plus this was the tactic used ten years ago). There really isn't a "defined" #5 guy anyway, so why claim there is one?

#13 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

My prediction is that Diamond wins the fifth spot.

As for Swarzak being in the rotation, I would do the opposite and put him into higher leverage innings out of the bullpen.

He was devastating against right handed batters last year.

[TABLE="width: 500"]

4.56 K/BB
57.0 GB%
.540 OPS against
2.02 FIP

[/TABLE]

He doesn't have a weapon against left handed batters so he's more exposed as a starter and his fastball/curve plays up out of the pen. He might be able to add a tick or two on the fastball as well in shorter outings.

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

At this point, there are 3 injuries that have to happen before Gibson likely gets a shot. Possibly more if they were to decide Gilmartin, Johnson, or someone of that ilk is unexpectedly given preference.

I was really hoping we'd see the payoff from allowing him to sample the bigs last year and come in ready from the start this year. It's disappointing we may have to wait awhile to see that and who we have to watch in the meantime.

#15 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

I don't think we are going to agree. They have plenty of guys in AAA that could take Pelfrey's spot, I don't agree with the signing when you already have Deduno, Gibson, Meyer, Diamond, the lefty guy who's name I can't recall...I count 5 guys fighting for 2 spots. IMO, and I am not trying to convince anyone I am right, that's plenty, and that money and roster spot could have been used otherwise. We just disagree. No harm in that.

For what it's worth, I agree with you.

#16 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

At this point, there are 3 injuries that have to happen before Gibson likely gets a shot. Possibly more if they were to decide Gilmartin, Johnson, or someone of that ilk is unexpectedly given preference.

I was really hoping we'd see the payoff from allowing him to sample the bigs last year and come in ready from the start this year. It's disappointing we may have to wait awhile to see that and who we have to watch in the meantime.

I'm guessing Gibson is the first man up. By my count he's one injury or a poor start of the season by whomever wins the 5th spot away from Target Field. If the unthinkable happens and all 5 starters are healthy and having careers years, he may have to wait for Correia to be dealt.

Edited by howieramone, 21 February 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#17 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Good write-up Nick.

I'm rooting for the Vanimal. Deduno to the pen. I'm afraid Diamond will be the odd-man out.

My best hope for Gibson is that the Twins flip Correia for an asset at some point, and Gibson has pitched lights out in AAA.

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

I'm guessing Gibson is the first man up. By my count he's one injury or a poor start of the season by whomever wins the 5th spot away from Target Field. If the unthinkable happens and all 5 starters are healthy and having careers years, he may have to wait for Correia to be dealt.

He's also behind Worley, Diamond, and Deduno. Possibly also Swarzak, Gilmartin, Johnson. Remember, I said 3 injuries before he gets a spot and those first three are all very possibly ahead of him on the "if someone gets injured" list.

At some point Gibson needs to learn how to get big leaguers out. It's disappointing to not get to see that all year and even more disappointing why he's not getting that chance.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 21 February 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#19 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Which sadly brings up the question of why TR signed Correia for 2 years again.

#20 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

He's also behind Worley, Diamond, and Deduno. Possibly also Swarzak, Gilmartin, Johnson. Remember, I said 3 injuries before he gets a spot and those first three are all very possibly ahead of him on the "if someone gets injured" list.

Worley, Diamond and Deduno are only ahead of Gibson because of their contract situations, and that will all get sorted out at the start of the season. I'd say that as long as he starts well in Triple-A, Gibson will likely be first in line to sub in.

Are people actually concerned about finding space for a deserving pitcher? Too much rotation stability would be a nice problem to have.