Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

2014 MLB Draft Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1286 replies to this topic

#1 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

With the start of the college baseball season this past weekend it is time to get an official 2014 MLB draft thread. Here is what you need to know about the upcoming draft.

The draft will be held in New Jersey on June 5th through June 7th. The draft will be broadcasted on the MLB Network. The first round, comp round A, competitive balance round A, and the second round will be on the 5th. The 3rd through 10th rounds will be on the 6th followed by the next 30 rounds on the 7th.

The Twins will have the 5th overall pick in the upcoming draft. Their second round pick is currently the 45th overall pick but with 5 players left with pick compensation attached to them things could change. If the Twins were to sign a free agent with pick compensation attached to them they would forfeit their second round pick.

This draft is considered to be stronger and deeper than the past two drafts with its strength being HS pitchers. Currently NC State's LHP Carlos Rodon is considered the overwhelming favorite to go #1.

Feel free to share and discuss anything draft related here.

With the 5th overall pick in the 2014 MLB Draft the Minnesota Twins select.........

#2 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

NC State duo:

LHP Carlos Rodon threw 6 innings this weekend against North Carolina State. He gave up 4 hits, allowed three runs (only 1 earned), struck out 6, walked 1 but hit three batters. Here is what one scout had to say:

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=verdana]"[Rodon] was just a little bit off," an NL Central scout said. "He wasn't missing his spots with his fastball by more than a few inches, but clearly he didn't have his A-plus stuff. Normally when he's ahead in counts you're done for; he'll either throw the fastball by you or get the fastball by you, but that wasn't really the case today. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=verdana]"I'm not concerned because he wasn't at his best to start last year, and we saw how good he was to finish the year. If he was throwing like this in April, sure, but I'm not panicking over mid-February." [/FONT][/COLOR]

NC State's other star, SS Treat Turner, went 3-4 with a stolen base. He not only showed off his plus-plus speed on the base path, one of his three hits was a bunt single, he made several great plays in the field. The same scout above had to say this about Turner:
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=verdana]
"I think Turner's the best middle infielder in the class," said the same scout who watched Rodon. "And it was really nice to see him look healthy today. Plus-plus speed and above-average defense at a position like shortstop is always nice, and statistically he's been among the better hitters in college baseball the last two seasons."

Clint Longerneck over at BaseballAmerica has a great article about Turner here:
[/FONT][/COLOR]
http://www.baseballa...ss-trea-turner/

(All scout quotes were reported by MLB Draft Insider and ESPN'S Chris Crawford).

#3 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

East Carolina's RHP Jeff Hoffman threw 6 and 2/3 innings against James Madison on Friday. He gave up four runs (3 earned), struck out 6, walked two, and allowed only 4 hits. Here are two scouts takes on his performance:

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=verdana]"I liked the way he settled down [after the home run]," an American League scout said. "But the stuff was really good all game. I had him 93-96 with a couple of 97's, and the curveball was a plus offering, as was the change at times. His command suffered a bit in the last couple of innings, but overall, there was more positives than negatives, which is always nice to see in the first start."

Another scout had this to say:
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]“You can’t walk away from this outing and not be impressed,” an American League scout said. “He is special. His changeup was a lot better today and he showed the ability to spot up his fastball where he wanted it.”

Clint Longnecker did a full game report on Hoffman's outing here:

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/game-report-ecu-rhp-jeff-hoffman/

[COLOR=#333333](One of the scout quotes were reported by MLB Draft Insider and ESPN'S Chris Crawford).[/COLOR]

Edited by cmb0252, 17 February 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#4 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

Other pitchers:

Vanderbilt's RHP and former first round pick Tyler Beede threw 5 innings of 1 hit ball. He struck out 7, had 1 walk, and hit a batter. After walking the first batter of the game and hitting another that inning Beede settled down. Beede has the stuff to be a top 5 pick but has always struggled with command issues. Here is what one scout had to say:

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=verdana]"The command is the key," an AL West scout said. "There's no doubt in anyone's mind that he has the stuff to start, he's got two to three plus pitches. It was a rough first inning, but he attacked hitters the rest of the day, and hopefully that's what we see the rest of the year."
[/FONT][/COLOR]
TCU's LHP Brandon Finnegan had a monster game against Jacksonville. The 5-11 lefty threw 7 innings of shutout ball and struck out 13 batters (8 of the first 9 he saw). While he only allowed 3 hits he did walk 3. Scouts said he sat around 92-93 with his fastball but dialed it up to 96 a couple times. Here is what his couch had to say:
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]
“That’s as well as he’s pitched in a TCU uniform, I think,” Schlossnagle said. “He had some moments last year—he took a no-hitter into the eighth and ninth against Oklahoma. But he was just in complete command. He threw almost 80 percent strikes with his fastball, 74 or 75 percent first-pitch strikes. He was just pounding the bottom of the strike zone, one after the other after the other.”
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]“The key for Finnegan, he’s an emotional guy, he’s got a big arm, and he really relishes being a power pitcher and a Friday night guy,” Schlossnagle said. “His challenge, like most guys like that, he’s got to be in control of his emotions so he can be in control of his body, and therefore he can control his pitches. He did that at a really high level. A lot of that comes with maturity, and he’s really matured a lot in three years. I’m hoping that he took another step. We’ll see if he can put consistent outings like that together.”

For more Finnegan quotes and information on his start read BA's Aaron Fitt's three strikes article:
[/FONT][/COLOR]
http://www.baseballa...kes-week-one-4/
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]
LSU's RHP Aaron Nola had an uncharacteristic first start. Nola's calling card has been great command but he hit 3 batters in the game. In his 6 innings of work he gave up 4 hits and struck out 6.

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333](One of the scout quotes were reported by MLB Draft Insider and ESPN'S Chris Crawford).[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

#5 twinsin17

twinsin17

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

While there are many intriguing names heading in to spring ball Trea Turner is my early favorite for the Twins pick. With a plus hit tool and plus plus speed the thought of him hitting at the top of the order with Sano and Buxton makes me positively giddy. Most reports I have read indicate he will be able to stay at SS long term, further maximizing his value. If he stays healthy and continues to develop his power he could be really special.

#6 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

To me it is Turner in a heartbeat without blinking an eye. There will be pitchers available farther down the line but not shortstops with the potential of Turner. And wouldn't they have taken Correa last year if Houston would have grabbed Buxton? I think so and that is your obvious answer for this year's first pick. Subject closed, right?

#7 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

To me it is Turner in a heartbeat without blinking an eye. There will be pitchers available farther down the line but not shortstops with the potential of Turner. And wouldn't they have taken Correa last year if Houston would have grabbed Buxton? I think so and that is your obvious answer for this year's first pick. Subject closed, right?

Having a high Avg., fast, infielder who can stick at Short is definitely a first round pick. But his top five status will depend on if he shows power again this year. 5-10 home runs may be all it takes.

Edited by maxisagod, 17 February 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#8 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,790 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

Subject closed, right?

Moderator's note: no, the thread is still open as far as I can tell. :)

#9 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

As far as right now, if you told me we selected Trea Turner, I'd be pretty happy with that pick.

I'd be not so happy with Hoffman. He doesn't miss bats, but he sure missed the strike zone often. A semi 'meh' with Beede. Seems to have overpowering stuff - I'd like to see him get his control under wraps this year (or at least some marked improvement). If we got Rodon, I'd crap a brick.

The others I'd watch closely leading up to the June draft are: Tyler Koleck, Sean Newcomb, Touki Toussaint, Kyle Schwarber, and Braxton Davidson.

#10 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

Other top college position players:

Kennesaw states C Max Pentecost had an impressive start to the year against Middle Tennessee State. He went 8-13 with 3 2B, 2 RBIs and 2 BB. He also threw out 2 of 4 base runners. While none of his tools are plus all of them are average or above.

Indiana C Kyle Schwarber did not have such a good start. He went 3-15 at the plate with only 1 extra base hit (2B). He walked once and struck out once. Here is what a scout had to say about the two catchers:

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=verdana]"I know a lot of people like Schwarber, but if you're asking me to choose between the two I'd rather have [Pentecost]," an NL West scout told me after watching the Indiana series. "There's more power in Schwarber's bat by a considerable margin, but Pentecost has above-average tools across the board and I have far less questions about his glove. Schwarber is going to have to hit if he's going to have to convince us he's a 45 glove [[/FONT][/COLOR]on the 20-80 scouting scale[COLOR=#333333][FONT=verdana]] and a 60 bat if he's going to be a first-round pick, and I don't think he's either."

Virgina's OF Derek Fisher went 3-7 with a walk, strikeout, 3B, and an RBI.

Oregon State's two top prospects had good starts. OF Dylan Davis only went 4-12 but had 7 RBIs. He also had 3 strike outs, 2 walks, and one double. Davis' partner OF Michael Con for to went 5 for 10 and had 5 walks to no strike outs. He had 2 2B to help him fuel his week leading 8 RBI performance.

For any other college names here is a link to BAs college draft prospects stat round up for week 1:

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/college-draft-prospects-stat-roundup-week-1-5/

#11 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:14 PM

While I'm a huge Turner fanboy I'm a long way from labelling him BPA at 5 if he is there. I want to see more offensive upside.

#12 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

As far as right now, if you told me we selected Trea Turner, I'd be pretty happy with that pick.

I'd be not so happy with Hoffman. He doesn't miss bats, but he sure missed the strike zone often. A semi 'meh' with Beede. Seems to have overpowering stuff - I'd like to see him get his control under wraps this year (or at least some marked improvement). If we got Rodon, I'd crap a brick.

The others I'd watch closely leading up to the June draft are: Tyler Koleck, Sean Newcomb, Touki Toussaint, Kyle Schwarber, and Braxton Davidson.

Beede and Newcomb are two guys I will definitely be watching. Clint Longenecker mention to that Beede [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]has, "altered his mechanics with his lower half. Beede’s landing on his front leg has softened and his ability to get over his front leg has improved and become less rigid than last summer." If Beede has finally found some command he might be gone before the Twins pick. I will definitely be following his mechanics this year.[/FONT][/COLOR]

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

While I'm a huge Turner fanboy I'm a long way from labelling him BPA at 5 if he is there. I want to see more offensive upside.

Yes, it's not too early to get excited about this stuff, but it does seem too early to be picking our horses already.

There seems to be a lot of Turner love right now. He might be the guy but I agree, we need to see that he at least has some gap-to-gap power. If he's going to be just a slap hitter at the MLB level, his ceiling is going to be Elvis Andrus.

Would you take Elvis Andrus at #5? Of course, but that's just his ceiling. Generally the type of floor that comes with solid defensive but little power middle infielder is akin to Pedro Florimon. So if you're drafting Elvis Andrus, you better be positive his defense will be elite and he can get on base at an elite level, because without the power, there is next to no margin of error with these kinds of guys.

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,790 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Generally the type of floor that comes with solid defensive but little power middle infielder is akin to Pedro Florimon.

Levi Michael can only hope his floor is this good.

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

We should probably be talking about HS C/OF Alex Jackson as well. Twins love toolsy prep bats and, on mlb.com's list, he's currently the best HS bat in the country. Jacob Gatewood, another toolsy HS bat, could be an exciting pick, too. He probably ends up at 3rd but could be a 30 homerun guy.

#16 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

I am really hoping for Kolek.

#17 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

We should probably be talking about HS C/OF Alex Jackson as well. Twins love toolsy prep bats and, on mlb.com's list, he's currently the best HS bat in the country. Jacob Gatewood, another toolsy HS bat, could be an exciting pick, too. He probably ends up at 3rd but could be a 30 homerun guy.

Because the college season has started in some states, but the high school season has not, you gong to see more chatter about college guys for awhile, not because the high school guys have lost stock, but because we don't have a lot of new data or reports on them. Gatewood is an example of a guy the Marlins could target, someone who could be the cream of the draft, but is slotted in the top 10. So the Marlins cut a deal to save cash/cap space.

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

I'm not saying anyone should avoid the topic but nailing down a pick and definitely saying "this is who the Twins should draft" in February is pretty comical, particularly regarding prep athletes.

What the draft looks like today and what it will look like in early June are two vastly different things. Players will shuffle up and down the slot board like crazy in the next four months.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

I want the next Buxton/Correa (sp?), whomever that is. Not asking for much, just a top 10 prospect.....
Lighten up Francis....

#20 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

I would much rather have a SS or power SP over another toolsy OF. Buxton may be in CF for the next 10-15 years. Arcia may have a corner spot, so might Hicks. Corner OF spots are relatively easy to fill on the free agent market as well.

Pure BPA strategies, in my opinion need to be adjusted a little if other needs can or can't be filled in free agency. Same with football. The Vikings have CB and QB needs, good QB's almost never hit free agency and you need a QB to win (like you need SP in baseball).

The good news is this draft appears to be deep at SP and SS, so hopefully BPA and needs will intersect.

Edited by tobi0040, 18 February 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#21 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

I think Jackson is interesting also. Would the Twins make him their catcher of the future because of his power and overall hit tool? I read an article sometime ago, that said most likely he can stay at catcher, but teams may want to get his bat in the lineup earlier, hence the move to the OF like Harper.

Edited by howieramone, 18 February 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Because the college season has started in some states, but the high school season has not, you gong to see more chatter about college guys for awhile, not because the high school guys have lost stock, but because we don't have a lot of new data or reports on them. Gatewood is an example of a guy the Marlins could target, someone who could be the cream of the draft, but is slotted in the top 10. So the Marlins cut a deal to save cash/cap space.

Gatewood is actually my dark horse pick as the most likely (yet still unlikely) to unseat Rodon as the #1 pick. With his power, I think he has the best chance to become a once a decade hyped HS prospect.

People don't think he'll stick at SS, but I've never read anything about him being a questionable defender, it's simply that scouts think he will be too large. I thought we were slowly getting away from the idea that height and weight had to determine your position? This guy is tall and lean, he could add 20 lbs to his 190 lb body and still look like the best athlete on the team. Probably even 30.

Posted Image

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

I think Jackson is interesting also. Would the Twins make him their catcher of the future because of his power and overall hit tool?

That'd be my thinking. Let him stick behind the plate as long as he could.

#24 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

I really like Kolek. If around . . .

#25 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds, the jerks at IU have a couple of good players (Schwarber C/1B and Travis 1B).

#26 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

If when the Twins pick, Kolek and Turner are both available after good years, I would have no idea which one I would prefer. I think Kolek.

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

I would much rather have a SS or power SP over another toolsy OF. Buxton may be in CF for the next 10-15 years. Arcia may have a corner spot, so might Hicks. Corner OF spots are relatively easy to fill on the free agent market as well.

Pure BPA strategies, in my opinion need to be adjusted a little if other needs can or can't be filled in free agency. Same with football. The Vikings have CB and QB needs, good QB's almost never hit free agency and you need a QB to win (like you need SP in baseball).

The good news is this draft appears to be deep at SP and SS, so hopefully BPA and needs will intersect.

The difference between baseball and other sports is draft lead time, which is why I believe in taking the BPA every time.

If you take the BPA, he's probably not going to hit the MLB roster for anywhere between 2-4 seasons. That gives you plenty of time to shift around assets and adjust for need using your MLB roster.

For example, moving Denard Span and Ben Revere in a two week period for pitching. Should the Twins take another toolsy OF because he's the BPA, there's nothing stopping them from moving Arcia or Hicks in 24 months' time and plugging a hole that way. Even a somewhat pedestrian MLB player like Denard Span can land you top-shelf talent like Alex Meyer. It's easy to move established MLB players who are young and cost-controlled.

Whereas if you're drafting for need, you're undermining your own scouting department and who they believe is the best player on the board, instead taking a guy and projecting need well into the future, a need that may not exist in 24-36 months.

#28 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

I think taking a position based on organization needs doesn't make sense, but targeting a position based on what was mentioned above - harder positions to fill in free agency - does make sense sometimes.

It become semantics a little bit. Does their scarcity make them the BPA or does their scarcity mean you overlook a player who your scouts have graded slightly higher?

#29 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

I'm not saying anyone should avoid the topic but nailing down a pick and definitely saying "this is who the Twins should draft" in February is pretty comical, particularly regarding prep athletes.

What the draft looks like today and what it will look like in early June are two vastly different things. Players will shuffle up and down the slot board like crazy in the next four months.

It is actually far from comical. I don't understand why people always say this. Obviously if we had say the 25th pick compared to the 5th pick I might agree with you but we don't. The player we will pick is most likely to be a MLB.com top 25 talent player. Sure, some rise and some fall but a majority will stay the same. Perhaps in just a different order. The last two drafts we had people around here on the Buxton or Stewart bandwagon earlier than this.

#30 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

The difference between baseball and other sports is draft lead time, which is why I believe in taking the BPA every time.

If you take the BPA, he's probably not going to hit the MLB roster for anywhere between 2-4 seasons. That gives you plenty of time to shift around assets and adjust for need using your MLB roster.

For example, moving Denard Span and Ben Revere in a two week period for pitching. Should the Twins take another toolsy OF because he's the BPA, there's nothing stopping them from moving Arcia or Hicks in 24 months' time and plugging a hole that way. Even a somewhat pedestrian MLB player like Denard Span can land you top-shelf talent like Alex Meyer. It's easy to move established MLB players who are young and cost-controlled.

Whereas if you're drafting for need, you're undermining your own scouting department and who they believe is the best player on the board, instead taking a guy and projecting need well into the future, a need that may not exist in 24-36 months.

This is a great post about why draft BPA vs positional need.