Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Berardino: Willingham wants to finish career with Twins

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:54 AM

http://blogs.twincit...innesota-twins/

Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press reports that Josh Willingham would like to end his career with the Minnesota Twins, according to his agent Matt Sosnick.

Sosnick tells him that there have been no contract extension discussions to this point.

So, Twins Fans, should the team be interested in extending Willingham? I'd say that the jury should be out until after the season. Willingham needs to prove healthy and productive again. The Twins will need to see how some of their young players develop.

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

It's doubtful that he plays much outfield after 2014, and I'd really like to keep the DH spot open. Maybe a one year deal for 2015 might make sense if he hits well this year and it's clear that guys like Parmelee, Kennys Vargas or DJ Hicks aren't an answer or are not ready to contribute. Still, I like that DH to be a bit flexible considering it's possible the Twins may start to develop more talent than they have positions for.

However we're looking at him as a starter right now. If he was willing to be a bench bat like the Twins had originally intended for Jim Thome and what Jason Giambi has done to extend his career the last half dozen years, there could be a spot for him.

#3 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

I'd like to finish my career with the Twins as well. But.... Willingham is best suited for a band-box stadium, like US Cellular, or Texas, places where routine outs are round-trippers and defense just doesn't matter as much.

#4 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

I hope the Twins are open to extending him.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

If he retires after his age 35 season, I would not mind if he finishes his career with the Twins :)

Who would you not have on the team in the next 1-3 years for Willingham to still be around?

Arcia, Buxton, Hicks, Kepler, Vargas, Walker, Harrison, Plouffe, Parmelee?

I'd rather see any of those guys in the DH or OF (especially) spots than a 36, 37 or 38 year old Willingham.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

No.

Hicks in RF, Buxton in CF, Rosario in LF, Arcia at DH, with several other young players ready to come up and be the 4th OF/DH/1B.....Even is Hicks can't play as a starter, you are covered with Arcia in RF and someone else at DH.

There are other ways to spend those dollars, like more SP or trading for a legit SS.
Lighten up Francis....

#7 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

Do not see as happening, too many good young(cheaper) players who will be as good or almost as good in 2 years and the need to reallocate the dollars to holes that will have shown up by that time.

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

I'd like to get Justin Morneau's opinion on this.

#9 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

Where Willingham would like to finish out his career shouldn't be a consideration.

#10 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

If Willingham's health and production are that of 2012, the Twins should absolutely extend him. I imagine the designated hitter role will really help Josh's health this season, or so I hope.

#11 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Best case scenario - Josh hits the hell out of the ball up to the trading deadline and the Twins deal him for a nice asset.

He can still live in Minnesota during the off-season :)

#12 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

No.

Hicks in RF, Buxton in CF, Rosario in LF, Arcia at DH, with several other young players ready to come up and be the 4th OF/DH/1B.....Even is Hicks can't play as a starter, you are covered with Arcia in RF and someone else at DH.

There are other ways to spend those dollars, like more SP or trading for a legit SS.

Arcia would be your 4th outfielder, or corner outfielder, with Hicks sliding over to center ,when Buxton needs a day or 2 off....

#13 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

I thought they should have let the Orioles have him when he was claimed last August.

My biggest concern was they would do nothing to address left field if he was still on the roster. The Twins have a big left field. They need a younger player with range. With Willingham on the roster, they didn't go out and find one. Instead they signed another DH in Kubel guaranteeing the outfield with the poorest range in baseball.

There will be a lot of fly balls. Target Field suppresses home runs. They just signed two fly ball pitchers. The plan for outfield does not make sense. The decision to retain Willingham only makes sense if he is the regular DH.

#14 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

Good for him, but I am not sure how anyone could reasonably consider extending him even one year.

#15 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Depends on the cost. If he's willing to take a discount and be primarily a bench bat.... But I don't think that is what he has in mind.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

There won't be any extension and I'm guessing his agent knows it, but it's still possible he comes back. I'd guess it would only be after he hits free agency, finds little interest and the Twins still haven't figured out the DH spot or he's willing to be a low cost bench bat.

#17 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,531 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

I'm not sure why we get jazzed about these kinds of stories. Berardino has to put words down on paper (or cyberspace) -- he seems a bit more prolific than other TC mainstream press so there's lots of space to fill. Sosnick wants his client to have a good landing place after the season -- not very easy with a hitter who turns 35 today. Obviously the Twins haven't said much -- and, given last year and the prospects in the pipeline, I wouldn't really expect them to extend Willingham at this point.

In a way, it seems like a non-story to me but Happy Birthday, Josh.

#18 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

Because there isn't anything else to talk about?
Lighten up Francis....

#19 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

I'm just going to say I doubt this happens. Too many young guys that will need playing time and will cost less. If he has a great 2014 maybe they go year to year with him.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#20 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

I wish him well, and hope he has a season that's successful enough to make the team at least think about keeping him. As much as I want the young players to all play, having a power-hitting veteran around is attractive, as a mentor as well as a player.

And if he has a great year and we can get a good prospect, that's ok with me too.

#21 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

Best case scenario - Josh hits the hell out of the ball up to the trading deadline and the Twins deal him for a nice asset.

He can still live in Minnesota during the off-season :)

This!

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

Arcia needs to be the future DH at this point and Willingham is aging clutter. The guy had trouble staying on the field in his prime, the older he gets the less prudent it is to invest in him.

Our best hope is a moderate bounce back and trade fodder.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 17 February 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

I'm also in the camp to entertain offers for him anytime through the season, and if nothing of that sort happens then wish him well at the end of the season. It's no longer a good fit.

#24 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

Because there isn't anything else to talk about?

Really? Nothing about pitchers and catchers reporting?
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#25 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Really? Nothing about pitchers and catchers reporting?

So start a thread about it. Not sure what anyone would say about that, though I'm sure the optimists would say how in shape everyone looked, and the pessimists would say they drive the wrong kind of car......or something like that.*

*should be obvious this was a, likely bad, attempt at humor, but just in case....
Lighten up Francis....

#26 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

If Willingham's health and production are that of 2012, the Twins should absolutely extend him. I imagine the designated hitter role will really help Josh's health this season, or so I hope.

I would say it would be the absolute best time to trade him. I see the Hammer playing a lot of left field, with Kubel filling in there sometimes.

#27 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

No.

Disagree with you Mike. I don't think Hicks will ever hit enough to be an asset as a corner OF. I like him as a CF, but the best prospect in baseball is coming behind him. The optimum is for Hicks to up his value and for the Twins to trade him.

#28 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

I think there is plenty of room in the budget for him. If he can hit 25+ HRs a season he is valuable. He can slide over to DH and then to a bench roll when younger players can push him there. I wouldn't be too concerned about cost as I do not think he will cost too much next season. And the extentions and rolls he fills on the team can change from season to season. 2015 and 2016 he could DH and 2017 he can be a bench bat reserve. 0r 2016 he can make the move during the season after a super 2 status is surpassed for the young player coming up. as that is a salary we should be more concerned about as there will be lots of younger players making more money at that time. I think the best idea is to be flexible and open minded.

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,909 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

So start a thread about it. Not sure what anyone would say about that, though I'm sure the optimists would say how in shape everyone looked, and the pessimists would say they drive the wrong kind of car......or something like that.*

*should be obvious this was a, likely bad, attempt at humor, but just in case....

I think Cmathewson was being funny as well... It's all good.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,909 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

It all depends on the Hammer. If he hits like 2012... He should be considered for extension but... If the team is out of it... That type of performance will increase his trade value and that should be considered if we are out of it.

If he hits like 2013... There is no discussion... Let him go.

Edited by Riverbrian, 17 February 2014 - 01:33 PM.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".