Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Joe Benson

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#21 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

I would imagine the team expected more out of him this year. He'll have to hit consistently before they move him to AAA and good for the Twins, make him earn it.
Comparing him to marginal and non-prospects doesn't really do much to elevate him.

wasnt only the Ryan comment to me....just others from him/Paul Molitor/ Gardy last Sept & even Billy Smith.
Just never heard positive feedback on him. Could be that the organization doesnt give that out much, but its a vibe I get from hearing about him.
After 3 yrs there, how much does he have to prove to earn a re-promotion???

#22 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Benson done for the year after knee surgery.....what a complete waste of a season

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

Benson done for the year after knee surgery.....what a complete waste of a season

Bit of an understatement. Hit rock bottom, grabbed a shovel kept digging, hit a water pipe, started drowning ....

At least Arcia and Hicks had good years for us.

#24 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,775 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

I wonder how much of Benson's struggles this year can be attributed to health. That is the only positive spin one can put on his struggles all year.

#25 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

I feel quite sorry for him. His season has a ripple effect through the system (trading Span or Revere, and/or other OF prospects could have occurred if Benson had repeated AA numbers at AAA this season).

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

I wonder how much of Benson's struggles this year can be attributed to health. That is the only positive spin one can put on his struggles all year.

Most of it.

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,548 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

Bummer. Tons of talent, but the Twins (and others?) seem really to dwell on the psychological aspects of his personality when they talk about him (or maybe those are just the comments I remember?). Hopefully he's healhty and productive next year. I still am a believer.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

I'm definitely still a believer... I just think that the injuries just never allowed him to get consistent at bats. Just when he got to a comfort level, there was another injury... Hopefully he can come to spring training healthy and strong and go from there.

#29 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

IMO....Mn knows Benson has talent, but they dont believe in him. Never hear a positive word about him.
Wont be shocked if he's dealt this offseaon in a package for a pitcher

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

According to LaVelle E Neal via Twitter: "Joe Benson faces three months of rehab after left knee surgery. There's a bone problem under the kneecap."

The surgery was expected to have just a one month recovery. With this news, it means he won't be going to the AFL. He should be ready for spring training... and what he needs is a turn of the calendar year... HOpefully 2013 will find Benson with much more health.

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,633 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Updated LaVelle tweet on Benson: "CLARIFICATION: Joe Benson needs 3-4 months of REST, not rehab. A little difference. The bone needs time to heal. Still....yikes"

#32 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

I wonder how much of this injury was there during the season. I've followed Benson through the minors and if you look for the most part when 100% healthy he had solid years, when not 100% healthy he really struggled.