Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

What would be a successful 2014 for the Twins?

buxton success twins
  • Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#91 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

The only guy I think the Twins have unnecessarily jerked around is Parmelee, actually. He should have been out there everyday in 2013 because "why not?"

Other than that, I struggle to see how the Twins have wasted seasons, other than fielding too many bad players on the roster. Arcia got time last season. Gibson got time last season and after seeing him in the Majors, Ryan was right to keep him down for as long as he did. They pushed Hicks too hard and he imploded. Plouffe, when healthy, has played every day. Dozier was awful until he wasn't but received a lot of playing time to sort it out.

After that, what players with upside are left? Do we really care if guys like Colabello get playing time? No offense to Colabello but his upside is almost zero.

I was thinking the same thing in regards to wasted opportunities. Parmelee strikes me as the only player who should have played more to see what we have. Some might argue Gibson should have been up sooner, but his results when he came up don't necessarily support that. I don't see a bunch of guys at AAA who should have been up last year. We had a significant gap in talent for a few years in our minor league system. Failure to shore up that gap in FA is why we have stunk for three years. This is the year we really need to start seeing some help from the minors. When they come up they need to play, like Hicks last year. Give them a significant chance and see if they are ready, not a half dozen at-bats a week. I hope Gardy understands that, because I'm not sure he has always been on board with that in the past.

#92 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

i would argue that Gibson should have been up earlier, as it seemed he got tired. But it may have just been "talent", which would be depressing.

As for wasted years, we'll just diagree. Signing and playing Doumit was a waste. If you are going to lose, sign AAA free agents or trade for blocked guys, or spend some real money (more like this year) on good players, not on crappy players. I don't know how to look at the last three years as anything other than a waste of time for the most part. They were bad, they were old, they didn't go get young players at the MLB level......yes, it is clear they minors have been improved, and that part was not a waste. But man, the MLB team, it was worse than treading water, imo. YMMV, of course.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#93 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

To me, they were wasted because ABs and Innings were devoted to players with little upside and little trade value even if they succeeded.

#94 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,309 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

To me, they were wasted because ABs and Innings were devoted to players with little upside and little trade value even if they succeeded.

As for wasted years, we'll just diagree. Signing and playing Doumit was a waste. If you are going to lose, sign AAA free agents or trade for blocked guys, or spend some real money (more like this year) on good players, not on crappy players. I don't know how to look at the last three years as anything other than a waste of time for the most part. They were bad, they were old, they didn't go get young players at the MLB level......yes, it is clear they minors have been improved, and that part was not a waste. But man, the MLB team, it was worse than treading water, imo. YMMV, of course.

You're both talking about free agents. I didn't want the Twins to break open the bank the past two seasons but I definitely wanted to see them acquire better players than they signed.

So that's fair. I was under the misconception that people were complaining about prospect playing time... And my rebuttal is that there weren't many prospects worth playing the past two years.

#95 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

Signing and playing Doumit was a waste.

That was 2012. In 2011 they signed Nishio-... wait, weren't we talking about 2014? :)

#96 thetank

thetank

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Success would be approaching .500 with a good Sept. Some good performances by Sano or Bruxton at end of the season would bring hope for 2015

#97 twinsajsf

twinsajsf

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

Get within shouting distance of .500 while seeing 3-5 young players advance and solidify themselves as everyday players or rotation locks for the foreseeable future.

#98 Trautmann13

Trautmann13

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

With the Twins (most likely) done this off-season and spring training rolls in, what exactly are we looking for this year? As the roster stands, this team should be marginally better than the previous 3, yet likely won't make a run. With that said, what should fans base opinions on what a successful 2014 would be?

Does the team need to be at .500? Do we need to see the debut of Sano, Meyer, and possibly Buxton? Do we need to see bounce-back type years from players like Florimon, Hicks, Diamond, or Worley? Do we need to see even more success or improvement from Arcia, Mauer, Pinto, or Dozier? Do we need evidence that Nolasco and Hughes were good purchases? Do we need to make good trades at the break with Willingham, Correia, Swarzak?

These are just some ideas I came up with and I'm curious what all of you think we need for 2014 to be a good step towards something great.

#99 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,785 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

You might want to look at this earlier thread:

http://twinsdaily.co...4-for-the-Twins

#100 Trautmann13

Trautmann13