Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Brandon Webb? What is the story?

brandon webb
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 rogrulz30

rogrulz30

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

I am looking into some free agent options to fulfill the rotation. I did predict the Twins would win the next 5/6 games, if that were to happen the Twins would be 10-12. WE NEED STARTING PITCHING. What would be the major downside of the point to sign Brandon Webb on the cheap? I don't know all the details of options, but are we really going to keep Liriano on the mound? So from opening day down to Pavano, Marquis, Blackburn- Marquis and Blackburn were back of the rotation guys. I would be interested to see response to signing Webb?

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I don't understand why... when's the last time he pitched? I can't imagine there is anything left. 2 years ago, a bunch of us were all on board with trying him out. Someone else did, and he never pitched for them.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Texas signed him the offseason of 2011. He needed another shoulder surgery. His velocity was like low 80s. I think that he had surgery in Aug 2011. Allegedly he was to be ready by opening day. But at this point, I will not be surprised if he hangs them up
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 rogrulz30

rogrulz30

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

I guess I m just fishing for some other solution other than going and bringing someone up, we have some big problems without liriano now

#5 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Because he has a shoulder injury nobody wants him. You can fix an elbow, but not many people come back from shoulder surgeries. And if they do they are not the pitcher they were prior to the surgery.

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

I hope TR is fishin with you. Gotta take a look around. Webb won't work though cuz his arm don't work anymore. I heard velocity in the 70's actually. He made a living with his sinker. Take that sinker and that velocity and it's beer league softball.

#7 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

What would be the major downside of the point to sign Brandon Webb on the cheap??

As others have pointed out, there would be no "down side" but there would also be no upside as well. The guy can't even hit the mid 80's at this point, that just isn't going to fly.

#8 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Joe Mays tweet: "Sure I'd listen if the Twins called."

#9 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

LOL... I was gonna type if Jamie Moyer can do it. However, I think Joe Mays is much younger still. Might by younger then Jamey Carroll.

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

Fun fact: From 2002-2005 Joe Mays had a 5.81 ERA, 1.53 WHIP and 3.5 K/9......and made 22 million dollars.

#11 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Fun fact: From 2002-2005 Joe Mays had a 5.81 ERA, 1.53 WHIP and 3.5 K/9......and made 22 million dollars.

A 5.81 ERA sounds pretty good to me right now.

#12 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

Maybe we could coax Tim Wakefield out of retirement...hell, Phil Niekro is still alive...

#13 danielsonbrett

danielsonbrett

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Would anyone be interested in Aaron Cook if he opts out of his Red Soxs contract?

#14 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Maybe they will let us use a pitching machine
I bent my wookie...

#15 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

What about Scott Kazmir... He was throwing for teams this spring, but no one signed him... Might be worth taking a second look....

#16 cr9617

cr9617

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

I never got past....'theTwins will win 5/6 and get to 10-12'.

#17 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

I think that this team has to ask itself whether it is rebuilding (at least the rotation) or not. If it is rebuilding (and the answer will have to be 'yes' next season with 4/5ths of the rotation going away,) makes absolutely no sense to have another (semi) stop gap solution. Get kids from the minors (or the pen) to see what you got, at least before you start the next season. Might want to trade any veterans with any value (only one I can think of is Pavano at this moment) in a month or 2. Webb/Osward/Mays/Kazmir/ are not the solution
-----

#18 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

I think that this team has to ask itself whether it is rebuilding (at least the rotation) or not. If it is rebuilding (and the answer will have to be 'yes' next season with 4/5ths of the rotation going away,) makes absolutely no sense to have another (semi) stop gap solution. Get kids from the minors (or the pen) to see what you got, at least before you start the next season. Might want to trade any veterans with any value (only one I can think of is Pavano at this moment) in a month or 2.
Webb/Osward/Mays/Kazmir/ are not the solution

trylos: Which in house names would you like to see? I don't see many

#19 MWLFan

MWLFan

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Draft Buxton-hope that Arcia, Benson, Hicks, Morales get or stay hot. Trade one of them and another player or two for a high level arm and middle infielder. I know Buxton might be gone by number 2. But you can never have too much pitching and looking at the Twins prospects on the mound that is the most glaring upgrade needed. At least healthy ones.

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

trylos: Which in house names would you like to see? I don't see many

Swarzak/Maloney/Deduno/Diamond/Walters etc. Let them show what they got. Swarzak started a couple games. Let him start more. Give Maloney a start here and there
-----

#21 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Swarzak/Maloney/Deduno/Diamond/Walters etc. Let them show what they got. Swarzak started a couple games. Let him start more. Give Maloney a start here and there

Those pitchers are not going to be part of a quality rotation going forward. You're not rebuilding by giving starts to Swarzak and Maloney, you're just throwing games away. Let those two continue to work in the bullpen, where they actually have a chance to be long-term assets.

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Those pitchers are not going to be part of a quality rotation going forward. You're not rebuilding by giving starts to Swarzak and Maloney, you're just throwing games away. Let those two continue to work in the bullpen, where they actually have a chance to be long-term assets.

However... A rotation like that could lead to higher draft picks. The next Strausburg is ours... I can feel it.

#23 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

I agree with giving some of these guys chances, although Swarzak has been given plenty of chances and he's proven to be very inconsistent as a starter.... We have guys like Gibson and Hendricks who seem to be legit prospects for the starting rotation.... Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until next season to see what Gibson can do, but I've been impressed with Hendricks so far... The truth is, the Twins aren't going to be able to go out and get a proven, solid starter at this point, unless they make a big trade... The best route is to try out some of the guys in the minors or search the scrap heap for someone that is just one chance away from turning things around... Take the old "Who really wants to be here" approach... Competition can be a great motivator... You never know, someone might stick... Look at Humber... He stunk when he was with the Twins and later the Royals... The White Sox picked him up and gave him a chance... Now look... No one could have predicted that one...

#24 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

How is Oliveros doing down in AA?

#25 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

FYI...according to JoeC Wimmers is out with arm issues. Not to worry though, TR assures us it's nothing serious.

#26 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Swarzak is not going to be a good major league pitcher. I can't understand why anyone likes him. Diamond and Walters are interesting possibilities. I would like to see Deduno pitch more.

I wouldn't mind seeing FA pitcher 1 (ha!)-Hendriks-Diamond-Blackburn (unfortunately)-Manship/Walters by the beginning of next year (and Gibson).

The funny thing is that I think "rebuilding" in terms of the pitching staff might actually produce more wins than otherwise this year.

Revere and Angel Morales may be the most likely trade candidates.