Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Emilio Bonifacio DFA'd

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

Bonifacio was DFA'd on Saturday by the Royals. As I recall his name was brought up before, but now that he's available I think we should take a look at him seriously. I think he's a much better alternative as a fourth outfielder (who can play all 3 spots and has the ability to play 2B, 3B and even SS in a pinch), than Mastro. He's got more versatility and probably better speed and the ability to steal a base and disrupt on the basepaths the way Mastro did two years ago. Mastro wasn't the ballplayer last year that he was before injury. I like Bonifacio's versatility and with a shallow bench having another switch hitter who is capable of filling in for long stretches is critical. He's a little spendy at a little over $3M, but we have the cash to spend and could pick him up cheap.

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

Yeah, I'm a fan of him as a super utility guy. He was terrible in Toronto last year but a .358 OBP after his move to KC and marks of .360 and .330 the previous two seasons. That's quite an upgrade to the 4th OF/MI options this team normally runs out there.

#3 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Not to mention 30 and 28 SB's the last 2 years in pretty limited action and 40 the year before in a full season.

#4 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

Not to mention 30 and 28 SB's the last 2 years in pretty limited action and 40 the year before in a full season.

I wonder how he is regarded at SS, because his bat would be an upgrade over Florimon. If not, hard to see how he is not an upgrade over Mastro/Escobar.

#5 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

I wonder how he is regarded at SS, because his bat would be an upgrade over Florimon. If not, hard to see how he is not an upgrade over Mastro/Escobar.

He's seen very limited time at SS, mostly 2009-2011. Fewer than 100 games, and not a great fielder. Better at CF and 2B. I'd keep both him and Escobar.

#6 jay

jay

• Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

DRS and UZR are in agreement almost across the board. 2B and LF/RF are his best positions and he's been roughly average or just above there. He's been average at 3B, but hasn't done particularly well at SS and CF. Definitely passable there as a backup, but probably not starter-quality defense.

I do agree that he could combine Mastro and Escobar into one person though, leaving an extra roster spot for a bench bat or option-less pitcher.

#7 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

$3MM for a utility player? Whew! I don't see it. Plus, if he is as good as advertised, the Twins would have competition to sign him--an even higher price. It would make more sense to either buy a proven starter at market price or promote from within and hope for the best--stop compromising! Get a quality player or gamble that a rookie can grow into one.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,162 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

What makes you think it will cost $3MM to get him, once he is totally free? And, why not? What else will they do with the $3MM?

What proven starter do you suggest they buy instead?
Lighten up Francis....

#9 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Certainly someone to consider. Other than his time with Toronto last year, I think he'd be solid as a fill in at 2B, 3B and OF, and would have value as a pinch runner on days he wasn't in the starting lineup. Kick the tires.

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

If Bonifacio is good at 3B, then I would sign him to play every day at 3B until Sano, and create a Plouffe-Kubel platoon in right.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

Definitely worth asking about him... There certainly will be competition for him. I would almost guess that the Royals will be able to trade him. But he can play 6-7 positions, so worth considering.

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

If we are looking for someone to play an elite OF/3B/2B and very above average SS, why don't we just bring in Mark DeRosa?
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#13 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

How is his attitude? Does he "get after it" and "play the game the right way"? Those are the only things worth considering.

#14 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

How is his attitude? Does he "get after it" and "play the game the right way"? Those are the only things worth considering.

Hmmm… you might be right. And come to think of it, I really can't figure out a good nickname for him either.

I guess I'll pass. :-)

I still like the idea of platooning Plouffie and Kubes in right, though.

#15 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

Bonifacio is a career 79 OPS+ hitter, which I guess is an upgrade over Florimon's 70 (or Escobar's 74) last year. He isn't a standout defensively -- his best position looks like 2B, and he looks worse than Florimon at SS. His biggest offensive skill seems to be stolen bases, but he hasn't added a ton of value by that method -- maybe half a win per full season?

Escobar is apparently out of options -- would you swap him for Bonifacio, and at what cost? $1 million? $2 million?

#16 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

How about using him to replace Alex Presley on the 25-man roster? If Aaron Hicks pushes him to the bench, you then have a super utility player.

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Escobar is apparently out of options -- would you swap him for Bonifacio, and at what cost? $1 million? $2 million?

I would because you actually get to swap him for Escobar and Mastroianni opening up a bench spot for a extra bat. Also like Escobar he's a switch hitter which is nice.

His OPS stinks outside of 2011, but if you take out his time in Toronto he is able to get on base at an above average mark which is something the Twins have been lacking in these kind of role players.

#18 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

Maybe the Twins should offer Diamond or a different player out of options for him and maybe you could get KC to throw in some cash in the deal as well.

#19 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

The twins aren't in need of bench plaers--they need regular starters! Acquire players who are starters now or use your prospects and develop them to be your team of the future.

#20 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

If Bonaficio is good enough to start some games at third, second, short and center, he could be a 10th regular. A guy who could maybe start 20 games at second and 40 at third against RH pitching, and start against LH at center, short, and left could get 500 plate appearances. Sort of a poor-man's Tony Phillips. I don't know if he is a good enough hitter or good enough at short and center to be considered for such a role, but if he's adequate in the field and better with the stick than Plouffe or Dozier hitting LH and Florimon and Presley hitting RH, then go get him. Adding a base-stealing threat and potential lead-off hitter would be a bonus.

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

If Bonaficio is good enough to start some games at third, second, short and center, he could be a 10th regular. A guy who could maybe start 20 games at second and 40 at third against RH pitching, and start against LH at center, short, and left could get 500 plate appearances. Sort of a poor-man's Tony Phillips. I don't know if he is a good enough hitter or good enough at short and center to be considered for such a role, but if he's adequate in the field and better with the stick than Plouffe or Dozier hitting LH and Florimon and Presley hitting RH, then go get him. Adding a base-stealing threat and potential lead-off hitter would be a bonus.

Hoping I don't end up just repeating Stringer here, but some points I'd like to make.

I hope Escobar, still quite young, some talent, a reputation as a quality and versatile glove man who can fill in 4+ positions, kicks it in ST and establishes himself as the next in a long line of quality Twins utility players; re: Newman, Reboulet, Hocking, Punto to just name a few. But while our starting lineup still needs help (as well as health and future promotion) quality teams needs bench strength as well. And the stronger, deeper and more versatile a team's bench, the more that team can adapt to injury, matchups, days off, and late game moves. No matter how well Escobar may perform, there is room for additional help. Now, I don't know that Bonifacio is worth 3M, but he is definitely worth a decent investment, and would be a HUGE plus to the Twins.

He brings solid defense to a number of positions in the OF and Inf, he switch hits, has a decent career OB%, and provides real speed and SB potential on the base baths. He allows you a quality fill in player who can contribute at the top and bottom of the lineup, and helps you play situational baseball.

I firmly believe the Twins need one more quality bat added to the lineup, and unless I am completely missing something here, the addition of Morales as a DH backup 1B makes so much sense, affordable sense, that I find it almost mind boggling its not done yet. No telling what Kubel has left, if anything, Willingham will be gone at the end of the year if not traded before. And to be honest, if he continues to linger on the DL (hopefully not) the Twins wouldn't be devastated by a cut. But the bat and offensive potential of Morales would still be there.

However, there is hardly a single roster I can come up with that doesn't have room for a solid bat/OB guy with defensive flexibility and speed.

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,616 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

I am strongly in favor of picking up Bonofacio. He's perfect for our needs. He can push Plouffe at 3B. Force Plouffe to perform or lose playing time. Once Sano comes up... Bonofacio can slide to OF and he brings a bunch of speed with him.

Speed is something we lack and need. Defense... He's good in the OF in my opinion. Not as good in the infield but he's OK. He would certainly be valuable because of his multi positional value.

Fingers Crossed the Twins can bring him to Target Field.

Edited by Riverbrian, 04 February 2014 - 10:28 PM.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

I don't know that Bonifacio is worth 3M

Money just isn't a constraining factor for the Twins this season. That's a relative rarity in MLB, but there it is. If a transfer of talent is necessary to acquire Bonifacio, that's a different story, or if 40-man constraints are a factor (though we all have our favorites for a DFA), but a moderate amount of salary simply shouldn't stand in the way of this or any moves in 2014, and I'll be very disappointed if word leaks out that the salary is what stopped them.

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

If Bonaficio is good enough to start some games at third, second, short and center, he could be a 10th regular. A guy who could maybe start 20 games at second and 40 at third against RH pitching, and start against LH at center, short, and left could get 500 plate appearances. Sort of a poor-man's Tony Phillips. I don't know if he is a good enough hitter or good enough at short and center to be considered for such a role, but if he's adequate in the field and better with the stick than Plouffe or Dozier hitting LH and Florimon and Presley hitting RH, then go get him.

Adding a base-stealing threat and potential lead-off hitter would be a bonus.

Bonus? Who are we kidding? Bonifacio would be both our #1 option to bat lead off, (especially against LHSP- career .342 OBP) and our prime base-stealing threat until the arrival of Buxton.

Both Steamer and ZIPS project an OPS for Bonifacio in the .655 range with 31 steals, in 451 PAs. According to both services, his 2014 OBP of just under .320 would be higher than everyone except Mauer and Willingham.

#25 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

Bonus? Who are we kidding? Bonifacio would be both our #1 option to bat lead off, (especially against LHSP- career .342 OBP) and our prime base-stealing threat until the arrival of Buxton.

Both Steamer and ZIPS project an OPS for Bonifacio in the .655 range with 31 steals, in 451 PAs. According to both services, his 2014 OBP of just under .320 would be higher than everyone except Mauer and Willingham.

That would be tru he could have a high OBP and it would still be less than league average.

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

That would be tru he could have a high OBP and it would still be less than league average.

Not following you here. The league average in 2013 OBP was .318. If Bonifacio hits that as a Super-UTIL guy, his infusion in various positions in the lineup would still be much better than the current alternatives. With him in the lineup, plus Arcia, you would now have 4 out of 9 guys in the batting order who project at or above, league average in OBP.

#27 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

Not following you here. The league average in 2013 OBP was .318. If Bonifacio hits that as a Super-UTIL guy, his infusion in various positions in the lineup would still be much better than the current alternatives. With him in the lineup, plus Arcia, you would now have 4 out of 9 guys in the batting order who project at or above, league average in OBP.

You said for him to bat lead off. Thought league average was about .340 for a lead off hitter.
He is about .050 below league average in OPS. He should be what he is, a utility bench player with little or no upside from where he is at now.

#28 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

You said for him to bat lead off. Thought league average was about .340 for a lead off hitter.
He is about .050 below league average in OPS. He should be what he is, a utility bench player with little or no upside from where he is at now.

You're illustrating the sad plight of the Twins current situation, as I demonstrated in my post, this sub-par utility castoff, is a definite upgrade to the Twins current projected lineup.

#29 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

It appears that a lot of teams will have an interest in Bonifacio. His skills really do match up with Twins' needs--he has base stealing ability, switch hits and can play second, third and the outfield. A versatile guy like Bonafacio would render Mastroianni pretty useless, but it could pave the way for either a 13th pitcher or third catcher. The other downsides to Bonafacio are the fact that he hasn't played much third base for a few years and that his offense isn't really all that good. Still, he would be valuable if everyone stayed healthy and more than that if someone like Dozier was injured. On a related topic, I really don't know what to think of Escobar. He seems to have a little punch in his bat, but the overall numbers are really unimpressive. Defensively, he seems okay, but doesn't have that great range to be more than decent at the three infield positions. Sounds like the classic infield utility guy to me.

#30 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

It appears that a lot of teams will have an interest in Bonifacio. His skills really do match up with Twins' needs--he has base stealing ability, switch hits and can play second, third and the outfield.

A versatile guy like Bonafacio would render Mastroianni pretty useless, but it could pave the way for either a 13th pitcher or third catcher.

The other downsides to Bonafacio are the fact that he hasn't played much third base for a few years and that his offense isn't really all that good. Still, he would be valuable if everyone stayed healthy and more than that if someone like Dozier was injured. On a related topic, I really don't know what to think of Escobar. He seems to have a little punch in his bat, but the overall numbers are really unimpressive. Defensively, he seems okay, but doesn't have that great range to be more than decent at the three infield positions. Sounds like the classic infield utility guy to me.

Excellent point on Dozier insurance....but also note, he's the exact same age as Presley (29 in 2014), better plate discipline, obviously more versatile, better base stealer. I'm not sure where his defense rates in CF, but he could replace Presley, too, when Hicks finally sticks for good, followed by Buxton. The only difference being, Ryan evidently likes Presley and especially likes the value he represents at minimum cost and Presley doesn't even become Arb-eligible until 2015- I'm fairly certain paying Bonifacio $3.5M is something Ryan doesn't want to do, if at all possible.