Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: TD Top Prospects: #10 Trevor May

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

I'm almost convinced he's going to end up on a Glen Perkins career path, ultimately ending up in the Bullpen.

He'll certainly (hopefully) start games for the Twins, but I am convinced he will be a dominant reliever if he ends up there.

Perkins averaged around 91 MPH with his fastball as a starter, and has averaged nearly 95 in relief. Same type of thing with Duensing. Applying this methodology gives May elite velocity in the 'pen.

My only issue with the write-up is this statement:

"Some have said if he can’t gain enough control, he could make a transition to the bullpen. That may be true, but I don’t know how many late-inning relievers are counted on if they can’t throw strikes in key situations."

I love May's profile as a reliever, and hope it can work as a starter. There are examples of good relievers everywhere who have high walk rates, and I'm inclined to say his 4.0 BB/9IP is not an alarming rate in a reliever sense. It's still high, but if you're combining a walk rate near that with K-rate around 9.0+K/9IP, you'll find a lot of successful relievers in the Majors with those numbers. Many of whom who don't have the pure stuff May does.

But the thinking is correct, there's no point in turning him into a reliever now.

#22 tcarlic

tcarlic

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Send him to Mr. Meyoghi (sp obviously hahaha) to learn the art of focus; although, his yoga should help with this.

#23 tcarlic

tcarlic

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

I've been hoping Meyer would inherit that.

Hopefully this is happening this year, right?

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

There are as many as a dozen prospects that are the equal of or better than May. That's really encouraging.

Oh, 13 if you count Engelb Vielma.

Couldn't it work just as well if we just call him "Glen"? (Glegne Amleiv)

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

I've been hoping Meyer would inherit that.

Forget any notion of "inheriting", Meyer should be aspiring to taking Hughes' or Pelfrey's spot.

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,163 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

There's a 'B' missing there. "Blen"?

#27 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Felix Jorge is above him in my prospect rankings. I'm just not very impressed by a guy that repeated a level and showed little improvement. Sure the potential is there (otherwise he would be brushed under the rug with a mid-4 ERA in AA). I'm just down on him like I was down on Hicks after a few sub-par seasons (P.S. Hick's seasons were still decent, May's have not been).

#28 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

It's difficult for me to dismiss the change in organization. The Twins expect guys to do certain things, I'm sure there was a period of cultural adjustment, and moreover for the Twins tutelage to show up in the results. The home away splits in Mays profile from last year are uncanny--Hughes like.

#29 orangevening

orangevening

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

It's possible he showed up here in Ft Myers yesterday. There were new faces here and I thought one of them was him. Also here were Burton and Perkins. It's good these guys show up early.

Hopefully Perkins can teach him a few things about the mental side. The article about Perkins and Greg Maddox last year was fascinating.

Also as a big fan of yoga (5x a week myself too) hopefully some of the mental aspects of that (focus, being present, etc.) will help Mays too.

#30 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

I had May at #12 this year, down 2 spots from a year ago but that's primarily due to strong years by others more so than anything negative with May. He certainly didn't dominate AA in his second year at that level, but as Seth writes, you can certainly make the argument that he progressed.

This feels like a make or break year for May, in terms of his future as a rotation member. You absolutely exhaust every effort to create a productive starting pitcher before you resort to putting him in the bullpen, even as a closer. I believe if Perkins could have become even a #3 starting pitcher, he'd have been more valuable to the organization than as a closer. I wouldn't switch a guy to the pen until I became convinced that his ceiling is a back of the rotation guy, or worse. Nobody whose ceiling is that low would even be considered close to a top 10 organizational prospect.

Hoping to see good things from May in Rochester and won't be at all surprised if he's debuting in Minnesota by mid year.

#31 AM.

AM.

Always in Moderation

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of Mayday Malone.

#32 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Nick Punto's Ghost

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

It was a lot of fun interviewing Trevor May earlier this off-season, to hear the full interview check out www.taktocontact.com

#33 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,857 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

It was a lot of fun interviewing Trevor May earlier this off-season, to hear the full interview check out www.taktocontact.com

It should be linked in the article itself too... I hope!