Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Pelfrey Excited about Meyer, Twins Future

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...er-Twins-Future

#2 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

Great article, Seth. And good news on a at least three levels:

1) Chemistry among the starting pitchers. I don't remember hearing this in recent years. Maybe it's a testimony to your reporting that you were able to draw this out. Purely as a fan, it's nice to hear that the team is working together.

2) It's good to hear that players want to be a part of the Twins organization. Some might think that Pelfrey is just blowing smoke, but he doesn't have to praise the organization. He came up in the Mets organization, but both the Strib and the Press writers back up your premise--Pelfrey wants to stay with the Twins. Jason Kubel was also was pretty candid about this at Twins Fest. At the K-Twin booth he didn't call out either Arizona or Cleveland, but he did talk about the quality of the Twins organization, and wanting to get back here.

3. The overall positive direction toward the future. These guys are together in Spring Training. They know--on a competitive level--what kids like Meyer, Buxton, and Sano can do. Pelfrey seems willing to play the role of a seasoned veteran who's willing to walk alongside some younger talent.

That's all good news. Thanks Seth, for making this late January morning just a little warmer!

#3 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

Good morning Seth from the sunny Californian desert...where it has been in the low 80's for the past week.

And thanks for the great article. In this game which has become so much about statistics and numbers, we often forget there is much more in putting a team together. Chemisty and relationships often are the reason one team wins and another doesn't. When reading Parker's story about Willingham, I couldn't get his relationship with Dozier out of my mind. Now learning about the influence Pelfrey will have on the development of Meyer and Gibson is just another example of putting the right parts together...both on and off the field.

Thanks again Seth, loved what I just read.

#4 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,879 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

I hope he pitches as well as he interviews!

Great article.

#5 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

I would love to see Pelfrey come close to the numbers he had in 2008 or 2010.

#6 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Well there you have it. We gave Pelfrey 2/12 because Meyer needed a friend.

#7 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

Gimme a break. Is it so difficult to find something good about this story? At least take what a major league veteran pitcher has to say about the future of Meyer as a positive and hope.

#8 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

I understand you have an opinion, and thats fine, but usually these comments should stay reserved for the star tribune.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

Sounds more like mentor. I'm all for overpaying for a mentor-clubhouse leader type. I wasn't a big fan of the Pelfrey signing, but if the young arms this team NEEDS to develop look to this guy for leadership and advice, it's a worthwhile signing in my book.

#10 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Great article as usual Seth. I am one of those who was glad Pelfrey reupped. Usually the second year after Tommy John is the best--and that is the 2014 season. I am hoping for big things from him including the 200IP. Also good that he mentors Meyer and Gibson.

#11 dakotanative

dakotanative

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

Sounds more like mentor. I'm all for overpaying for a mentor-clubhouse leader type. I wasn't a big fan of the Pelfrey signing, but if the young arms this team NEEDS to develop look to this guy for leadership and advice, it's a worthwhile signing in my book.

For a team to be greater than the sum of its parts it needs players who are more concerned about the team than their own situation or stats. Pelfrey is demonstrating leadership in taking Meyers under his wing. This is a very positive sign and it will carry on through the development of other pictures like Berrios and Thorpe. I fully expect Meyers to be the Twins fifth starter this year. I cannot wait to see him pitch. I live in the Manassas Virginia area and tried to see him pitch in Richmond last season and just missed him.

#12 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Ditto!!

I'd a paid Roy Halladay $6M a year to be on the IR and be around the clubhouse.

I think the Cardinals having Chris Carpenter "on staff IR" all year the past few years has helped those young guys tremendously.

If he can get Meyer to where he sees him ("Ace"), it's $500K + $6M for an Ace end cost. Sounds like a steal of a deal to me.

#13 twinsin17

twinsin17

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Hearing Pelfrey say Meyer has the best "stuff" on the staff is very encouraging. Also like to see him comment about Buxton and Sano. Maybe these young guns will provide the spark needed to get our veterans competing at their highest level. If that is the case we could turn some heads this year!

#14 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

I thought I would throw out there that Pelfrey will likely pitch 300-400 innings the next two years. So the mentor thing is great....but.

#15 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Pelfrey also has some decent upside IMO....

#16 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

Great job, Seth. Pelfry exemplifies what Terry Ryan frequently talks about. Pelfry wants to be here, and he has a positive make-up. Those aeren't empty phrases coming out of Ryan's mouth, and they are important attributes not evident on Excel spreadsheets.

#17 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

and they are important attributes not evident on Excel spreadsheets.

Nor, as yet, in the standings.

That doesn't take away from the human-interest angle of the article, which I enjoyed.

#18 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

This helps with understanding why he was re-signed. There has to be the hope that by 2015 he is not going to be in the starting rotation (Nolasco, Hughes, Gibson, Meyer, May).

#19 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Great article, Seth. I am convinced that Pelfrey means well, and wants to do better.... way better......... than he did last season. In fact, what he says about it reminds me eerily of Matt Capps' return - wanting to come back and show the team and the fans he is better than he had regressed to, and feeling a lot of guilt. Just because with Capps that was pure hope and no performance doesn't mean Pefrey's return will be the same.

When thinking about how the Twins are such great guys and it is such a great place to play (and for the last three years, lose and play), the story makes me think of a high school age young person that has had their parents divorce, and now has two homes. At that age, the child can pretty much pick and chose who they will live with, and they gravitate toward the household that lets them get away with more, that is less demanding, that has less consequences for not performing well. Having a great clubhouse led by Gardenhire may have had it's time and be in the past, as well as picking a team without utilizing the sabermatics that are now available. Time will tell if this feel good story results in more fun....... like winning.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

When thinking about how the Twins are such great guys and it is such a great place to play (and for the last three years, lose and play), the story makes me think of a high school age young person that has had their parents divorce, and now has two homes. At that age, the child can pretty much pick and chose who they will live with, and they gravitate toward the household that lets them get away with more, that is less demanding, that has less consequences for not performing well.

I'm not sure the allusion of "lazy high school kid" and "one of the best in the world, playing at the highest level of competition" makes much sense.

#21 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

Nor, as yet, in the standings.

That doesn't take away from the human-interest angle of the article, which I enjoyed.

Yes, the whole question of leadership and all the non-physical factors influencing performance are intriguing. We can only guess at what impact it all has on wins and losses and individual stats. We can't measure it. But think of how frequently athletes attribute their individual performance or team performance to things like attitude, confidence, desire, or approach as opposed to some mechanical or strategic adjustment, and we know Yogi was right. And it's why character and make-up should not be dismissed as part of the judgment of players by GM's and field people.

#22 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

I always used to ask this.....which players would play worse if Cuddeyer was not on the roster? I mean, if his leadership mattered, who did it matter to? I agree, culture matters. I firmly believe that. I actively work to change my company's culture through a formal effort we have going on. But if it doesn't literally make other players better, should it matter to fans?
Lighten up Francis....

#23 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

I liked the "take it or leave it" from Ryan.

#24 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Great article, Seth. I am convinced that Pelfrey means well, and wants to do better.... way better......... than he did last season. In fact, what he says about it reminds me eerily of Matt Capps' return - wanting to come back and show the team and the fans he is better than he had regressed to, and feeling a lot of guilt. Just because with Capps that was pure hope and no performance doesn't mean Pefrey's return will be the same.

When thinking about how the Twins are such great guys and it is such a great place to play (and for the last three years, lose and play), the story makes me think of a high school age young person that has had their parents divorce, and now has two homes. At that age, the child can pretty much pick and chose who they will live with, and they gravitate toward the household that lets them get away with more, that is less demanding, that has less consequences for not performing well. Having a great clubhouse led by Gardenhire may have had it's time and be in the past, as well as picking a team without utilizing the sabermatics that are now available. Time will tell if this feel good story results in more fun....... like winning.

With all do respect, this is not a great, good, or even OK analogy. Kubel was kind of anti-Twins when he left (Target Field at least), but he found out quick that the Twins are a model franchise who have fallen on rough times.

#25 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

I always used to ask this.....which players would play worse if Cuddeyer was not on the roster? I mean, if his leadership mattered, who did it matter to? I agree, culture matters. I firmly believe that. I actively work to change my company's culture through a formal effort we have going on. But if it doesn't literally make other players better, should it matter to fans?

I'm curious, Mike. Why do you actively work to change your company's culture? Do you believe it will make your employees better, more productive, if they are spending their work hours in a more positive environment? I think most of us, as humans, are more productive when we feel positive about the people we work for and with and genuinely enjoy going to work and being around them. I feel that way and I don't have to spend near the time around my peers that professional athletes do during the season.

Often, in business, we can apply metrics to demonstrate that employees are more productive if we improve the culture. They produce more widgets if they're happy, etc. It's probably more difficult to "prove" that effect on a ballplayer and that causes some to dismiss its importance completely.

I don't think it's a stretch to believe players can perform better if they like the environment they're in. Is it THE most important thing? No. Just like it's not the most important thing at the office. A positive environment won't magically turn an incompetent worker in to a good one.

But I think most of us are better at whatever we do if we like the people we are working for/with and genuinely look forward to working with them. I believe that probably applies to ballplayers, too, even if it's not something you can easily quantify.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#26 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,879 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

I'm of mixed mind about the comfort level thing.

I'm happy with Pelfrey wanting to mentor Meyer and I hope that it works out. The mentoring factor was one I mentioned early on in the off-season in reference to Carl Pavano 2010 -- Pelfrey would seem to fit that mould (although I'm not sure we saw evidence of it in 2013 but with better health and performance for him, and a 2 year contract, it may become more apparent).

And I definitely don't believe in a fear-driven workplace but over the last few years, I've often had questions about whether the Twins were being "comfort zoned" into hibernation. It's probably still one of the biggest reasons I'd like to see a new manager. While I believe Gardenhire could go elsewhere and be successful, I'm just not convinced that Minnesota is still the best fit for him. It really seems like they need a jolt of some kind.

There has to be some distinction between a happy workplace and a totally comfortable workplace.

#27 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

refuses to surrender his World Series baseball

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Good article on Pelfrey and also a good analogy here, IMO.

I can't agree right now that the Twins are a model franchise fallen on tough times, not until they start winning again. They're basically just another team right now. Kudos to Terry Ryan who has taken full responsibility for this mess, as the other bigger names associated with the Twins don't appear willing or capable of doing that. I think giving the identity of the team over to Sano/Buxton/Meyer will be the big boost and if Pelfrey can help do that, as the article suggests, then great.

#28 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Jim, I do believe people are more effective, yes. And, we institute measures to show that. And we assess what is working and not in changing things......

My question has always been, what measure for what type of player, do we think leadership matters at all? Because signing a guy that is not as talented, but is better for the culture, is a risky endeavor. You should have measures/something that shows why outcomes are worse/better based on both competency and cultural fit. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to get a competent contractor off my project, because he does not fit the culture. But, I have measures that show that effect. that's what I'm curious about.....

how do we think leadership/winner manifests itself in others, and how would we know?

It is likely the Twins know more than we ever will about culture and fit......but as fans, how do we judge that? That's an interesting conversation to me.

Also, what is the delta you are willing to tolerate? A great culture fit/mediocre player vs a mediocre culture fit/great player. Where do you draw the lines? those are kind of interesting....but since we have so little experience in their culture, it probably won't tell us much that is real.
Lighten up Francis....

#29 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

refuses to surrender his World Series baseball

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

I'm of mixed mind about the comfort level thing.

I'm happy with Pelfrey wanting to mentor Meyer and I hope that it works out. The mentoring factor was one I mentioned early on in the off-season in reference to Carl Pavano 2010 -- Pelfrey would seem to fit that mould (although I'm not sure we saw evidence of it in 2013 but with better health and performance for him, and a 2 year contract, it may become more apparent).

And I definitely don't believe in a fear-driven workplace but over the last few years, I've often had questions about whether the Twins were being "comfort zoned" into hibernation. It's probably still one of the biggest reasons I'd like to see a new manager. While I believe Gardenhire could go elsewhere and be successful, I'm just not convinced that Minnesota is still the best fit for him. It really seems like they need a jolt of some kind.

There has to be some distinction between a happy workplace and a totally comfortable workplace.

said better than I could say it -- thanks

It also sounds like Meyer is keen on working with Pelfrey and not just Pelfrey wanting to mentor, so this could turn out good.

#30 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Gimme a break. Is it so difficult to find something good about this story? At least take what a major league veteran pitcher has to say about the future of Meyer as a positive and hope.

I enjoyed the story and I agree with most of the positive comments, but I still got a pretty good laugh out of that post. I just hope Pelfrey doesn't give Meyer the 20 page checklist he runs though before every pitch.