Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Manuel Soliman

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 dv3

dv3

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Name: Manuel Soliman Position: RHP Birthdate:8/11/89 Handedness: Right Height:6'2 Signed: 2007 Home: Dominican Republic Soliman was originally signed as a 3rd baseman, but was moved to pitcher after a rough few years in the early minor leagues, hitting below the Mendoza line. He has been far more effective as a pitcher, revitalizing his prospect status. Soliman has a low-90's fastball and a solid slider. His pitch types and lack of experience point towards him being a reliver, but he is currently being used as a starter. He will begin this year in Fort Myers.

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

currently on DL with shoulder issue.

#3 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

Soliman just tweeted: "Surgery tomorrow everything will be OK with God" Can't be good...

#4 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

sollimon, Wimmers, Salcedo......keeps gettin better

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

Just heard back from Solimon... he said he's having shoulder surgery, "like Michael Pineda." The Yankees pitcher had surgery two months ago to repair a torn right labrum. Pineda had surgery in April and is expected to start throwing in September. If Soliman has surgery in June, maybe he starts throwing by November. He'll likely be brought back slowly next season.

#6 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

their is a train of thought that says the TJ surgery is easier to come back from than shoulder surgery (to maintain velocity at least). Tho, labrum injuries... while not good... are better than rotator cuff surgeries (which you dont hear much about anymore....wonder why??) He's 23 in Aug and only @ Ft Myers.....so I dont know how much longer he can be considered a prospect as ....like Seth says...MN will take it slow with him next yr. Also, he is a 6 yr FA after this yr (signed March 07). Was hopin he coulda been a guy to really shoot thru system this yr, but they are all fallin

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

Also, he is a 6 yr FA after this yr (signed March 07).
Was hopin he coulda been a guy to really shoot thru system this yr, but they are all fallin

The 6 year FA rule is as clear as mud... according to my calculations, Soliman isn't a Minor League FA until after the 2014 season.

Seth, weigh in please...

I did some more digging: Soliman debuted in a short-season in 2007, so he didn't accumulate his first full year until the middle of 2008. So he wouldn't have six full seasons of service until the middle of 2013, so he'll be a FA after that season. (I think...)

Edited by Jeremy Nygaard, 21 June 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

wasnt sure myself......if it was service time of where you debut or the actual date when you sign. Regardless, Im sure coming off surgery that he would resign to be aroung a team that knows you BUT after next season rehab yr....what does the organization do then??? Torn Labrums can be rehabbed for sure.....or it can be a velocity killer.