Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Episode 130: Live In Concert from Twins Daily Winter Meltdown

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Twins Daily Admin

Twins Daily Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...Winter-Meltdown

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

Hopefully people will enjoy this and leave a bunch of feedback here.

Dave St. Peter did a great job. Scott Erickson was quite entertaining in his interview and was able to stick around for a long time afterwards! And Jon Paley was so fully of energy and excitement about his project.

Also, I want to thank those of you who were able to make it to the Meltdown and took the time to introduce yourself. It was seriously a lot of fun, and very humbling. Hopefully we can do 2-3 of these types of events each year.

#3 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

Dave St. Peter I thought did wonderful job and he did not duck the questions he had from the guys it was interesting. Scott Erickson was fun to listen to and also answered a lot of questions he had without being politically correct. Jon Paley was fun to hear about Sano and how he compared Twins fest to that of other organization like the Phillies fan parties. It would be nice if we could here from Dave St. Peter couple of times a year and I sure would love if Terry Ryan could come forth and speak like this to Twins Fans. I think a lot of majority of fans would just like hearing from the Twins on their plans and even when thing go wrong just explanation what went wrong from planning or how they thought it would go. I think Twins have a pretty good record on putting a team together but last couple of years sure have not performed in getting their job done and just some explanation would have lessened dissatisfaction. I think the work they have done to rebuild and improve scouting for drafting and player recruitment should be told. When Terry took over 2 years ago Twins farm system was near bottom with future prospects and now were one of the top 5 teams. I think Twins have done more things right than they have done wrong last 2 years but record doesn't show that yet. But podcaste was excellent fun to listen too.

#4 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

Years ago in Bismarck the players scheduled to appear were unable to get into town because of weather conditions during the caravan here. Dick Bremer was in town for it and notified Terry Ryan and Ryan jumped on a plane and came out for the event. Absolutely the most enjoyable caravan I ever was at and there have been many. Terry was way beyond knowledgeable and gracious to the fans there, an absolute delightful man on that evening of so long ago. I wonder if Terry would remember that.

#5 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the audio of the event. Sounds like it was a good time and good to hear the comments from all of your guests.

#6 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

It was a great event and I really appreciate having the audio posted. I was too busy socializing to really listen to every part of each interview and the acoustics in the back where I was sitting weren't great. So I really enjoyed being able to listen to the interviews in the relative comfort at home after the fact.

You guys put on a really fun event. I'm not crazy about the Target Field set-up for TwinsFest, but I recognize I'm not really their target demographic for that, anyway. The point is, whether or not I attend TwinsFest itself going forward, I'll continue to try to make it to any Twins Daily/Gleeman event I can. It really is a lot of fun just hanging out with people I've met before and many I'm meeting for the first time. Very good time.

And I also thought St. Peter did a very good job answering the questions posed. He really does seem very comfortable in a group like that.

#7 Twins Daily Admin

Twins Daily Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

St. Peter is very good at this. He came up through corporate communications to become Twins President in about 10 years. He knows what he's doing.

And FWIW, I think Ryan would be good, too, and probably open to such a thing. Remember, he has agreed to VERY LONG one-on-one interviews with TwinsCentric for our Offseason Handbook the last two years. For that matter, so did Bill Smith. They don't shy away from getting a chance to explain their side of the story.

#8 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the audio, and I listened to almost all if it before being called away. Must of been a fun event.

If they could get Patsy Cline to perform at Target, I'd be first in line for tickets. Sounds like some good stuff coming though.

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

Good stuff!

One thing that has to be reiterated: Jon Paley's comment that the "Twins were the only team with the guts to sign Sano" because of the age considerations. Kudos to Bill Smith.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Good stuff!

One thing that has to be reiterated: Jon Paley's comment that the "Twins were the only team with the guts to sign Sano" because of the age considerations. Kudos to Bill Smith.

And Mike Radcliff, right Thrylos... :)

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

And Mike Radcliff, right Thrylos... :)

Nah

his job had nothing to do with international FAs ;)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 Wookiee of the Year

Wookiee of the Year

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

If anyone's interested, the Twins Daily Winter Meltdown (and specifically Scott Erickson's comments about Davey Johnson and Peter Angelos) were mentioned yesterday on Baseball Prospectus's "Effectively Wild" podcast: http://www.baseballp...articleid=22700

#13 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

It was a great event and the speakers were so engaging that even though I was there I'm going to listen to the podcast too!