Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Special Night at Target Field: Diamond Awards

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,791 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-Diamond-Awards

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,431 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Really good stuff, Seth. Thanks for this.

One thing, because it really rubbed me the wrong way:

When asked about the decision to move Joe Mauer to first base, Gardy’s humor came out. “We are going to have the best looking first baseman and the best looking second baseman in the league. We’ll have all the chicks at the ballpark!”

Am I the only one who is finding this offensive, coming from a Twins' leader in a Twins' public event? Women do not play baseball, but a. a lot of them are knowledgeable about it and would rather watch the game than the players and b. referring to women as "chicks" is demeaning, any way you cut it. Almost as bad as Calvin Griffith's comments and definitely as "humorous". Locker room "humor" belongs there and should not cross over to a formal, public event.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,791 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

"Chicks dig the long ball" became a national slogan for a fairly prominent company. I think you might be over-thinking it... but maybe others agree with you.

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,431 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

"Chicks dig the long ball" became a national slogan for a fairly prominent company. I think you might be over-thinking it... but maybe others agree with you.

That was in the past millennium, though, and still does not make it proper.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

There was nothing even remotely offensive about what Gardy said. I was 15 feet from Mr. and Mrs. Joe Mauer when this line was delivered, and like virtually all the rest of us in attendance, they laughed. It was completely bereft of even the slightest hint of denigration or objectification, so yes, you're looking for something that wasn't there.

BTW, a few women do in fact play baseball. Four women took part in this season's Fantasy Camp in Fort Myers.

Comparing Gardy's comment with those infamously made by Calvin Griffith IS offensive though.

#6 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Love the Carew-Oliva byplay.

I'm not offended, but then I don't have a rabid bias against Gardy, either.

#7 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Great post~ thanks for keeping all of us who can't be there up to date!

As for Gardy's comment, maybe he's just responding to the ongoing Dozier "Hollywood Hair" meme. If so, at least he's got his ears to the ground. Loosen up already.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,791 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Gardy was great last night. Apparently he wasn't feeling very well, but it was comic. He and Ryan were both creating some laughs during their segment. Lots of fun!

#9 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Sports have changed a lot over the years.

Look at who attends baseball games at a demographic point of view.

Baseball was largely a lower class sport for years, fans are generational. Today it's probably more females and also more middle to upper class that probably attend the baseball games.

I don't like the NFL as much anymore, it's more about entertainment. Richard Sherman to half time wardrobe malfunctions - they want butts in the seats.

Also, saying you find someone attractive doesn't make you superficial, I married my wife because she's hot, but there are plenty hot women out there besides her - she's my wife because of everything else.

I wasn't there, but I'm guessing Gardy's comments were in a jest/humor context.

I went to a SABR meeting this past Wednesday here in Texas and we had Mike Maddux speak - he's as simple a country boy as you'll find and a lot of the jokes were just that, jokes, but probably could be taken as offensive to various crowds. For me, it was refreshing to know the business world hadn't overtaken baseball and everybody was this generic politically correct robot who speaks in perfect english and is a word monger who says a ton but says nothing all at the same time.

#10 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,171 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Am I the only one who is finding this offensive

No, I'm offended Plouffe wasn't included. Plouffe is a handsome fellow too.

Source: his wife

Posted Image
Posted Image
https://encrypted-tb...VBwgEYpHRn21bRf

Truly he is the best looking of the bunch

#11 Cris E

Cris E

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Mauer said, “That sounds a little funny!”

I have to object to one thing: Joe Mauer has never said anything in his life that ended in an exclamation point. Other than that, sounds like it was a good time.

#12 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

Well, I am female and I'm not offended by Gardy's comments- us ladies can appreciate the finer side of the game. :D

Nice recap, thanks Seth. I went to the Old Timers Hot Stove League banquet on Tuesday night at the Prom Center in Oakdale and that's another great event for baseball fans in the east metro. (I was thankful the snow held off until I got home.) It featured John Anderson, Tom Kelly, Dave St. Peter, Jim Rantz, Kris Atteberry, Terry Ryan, Joe Mauer, Ricky Nolasco and Pedro Florimon. I was wondering if they told Ricky Nolasco coming to Minnesota in January and doing the caravan, banquets and TwinsFest was part of the deal. Kris Atteberry mentioned that Jim Rantz is retired but he still just shows up everywhere there is free food. They didn't discuss anything groundbreaking, just the usual baseball banter. Always fun to get together with baseball fans in the winter, looking forward to the Twins Daily party tomorrow and TwinsFest on Sunday!

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,409 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

but then I don't have a rabid bias against Gardy, either.

Moderator's note: let's leave out the digs against one another, please.

#14 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Really good stuff, Seth. Thanks for this.

One thing, because it really rubbed me the wrong way:

Am I the only one who is finding this offensive, coming from a Twins' leader in a Twins' public event? Women do not play baseball, but a. a lot of them are knowledgeable about it and would rather watch the game than the players and b. referring to women as "chicks" is demeaning, any way you cut it. Almost as bad as Calvin Griffith's comments and definitely as "humorous". Locker room "humor" belongs there and should not cross over to a formal, public event.

Well, yes, okay ... it's not PC. But as a female, I consider the source, roll my eyes a little, and move on. But there is truth to it. I mean, as into the game as I am, I can't help but let my binoculars wander a bit and sigh a little over the lusciousness that is Brian Dozier. But it's not why I'm at the game. If it were a field of women, what would the male response be?
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#15 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

If it were a field of women, what would the male response be?

Respectful, objective admiration of the athletic play and skill and of the woman athletes and focusing solely on their competitiveness and intelligent play of the game?

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,409 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

If it were a field of women, what would the male response be?

That Dozier and Mauer were obvious ringers?

#17 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

What was the Carew-Oliva byplay all about?

#18 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

What was the Carew-Oliva byplay all about?

Chicks.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Good stuff Seth, thanks. Didn't notice Plouffe in any of those pictures.....

#20 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

Good stuff! It's reassuring that on an Internet forum, where in other parts of the internet posters are horrible human beings, here at TD we can be open, honest, and respectful... Though maybe a tad irreverent, a touchy subject was discussed in a civilized manner, and managed to make me laugh even while in a very foul mood.

#21 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Oh, and Why would Gardy want chickens at the ball park?

#22 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Tell me about it. Her form is impeccable

Yes Sharapova has impeccable form (along with her quirky walk) but she screams so DAM loud...