Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Prospects Rank High On MLB's Positional Rankings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 815 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...tional-Rankings

#2 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Buxton got all the love on the unveiling show of the the top 50, and "stands apart" at #1 of all prospects. Sano gets a little talk, and drops one spot to #4 overall, and Meyer at 28 and Stewart at #40 basically get their names read as others get the air time love. Rosario is out of the top 100, and Berrios comes in at 90.

#3 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Buxton got all the love on the unveiling show of the the top 50, and "stands apart" at #1 of all prospects. Sano gets a little talk, and drops one spot to #4 overall, and Meyer at 28 and Stewart at #40 basically get their names read as others get the air time love. Rosario is out of the top 100, and Berrios comes in at 90.

I would like to point out the difference on the 20-80 scale between Buxton and everyone else. They have Buxton at a 75 overall, prospects 2-15 are all 65.

#1 Prospects fail at times. Dice-K (2007), Delmon (2006), Marte (2005), Rick Ankiel as a pitcher (2000), but it is hard to see how Buxton could. His defense, speed, and arm should always be with him. So even if he was a below average hitting CF, he should see 500 at bats. It is hard to see how anything under .270, 8-10 HR, 40+ SB could be possible. I think he will be much better in all categories, but it is hard to see a floor under that.

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...#list=prospects

#4 Forever34

Forever34

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Call me a homer but I think we should have more on this list. Rosario should be on this list but with the PED suspension I could understand if he was blackballed. Wonder where/if Hicks or Arcia would be on here if the weren't rushed to the big leagues and disappoint. I saw Jackie Bradley was still on here even though he was comparable to Hicks: tore up spring training and earned himself a spot on the opening day roster but then stunk up the joint. Also, not sure what Sano did to drop from 3 to 4. Taveras was hurt most of the year but did well in AAA. Bogaerts put up similar overall stats in the same league but is a year older and you could argue that he could have graduated from this list.

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Hicks or Arcia would be on here if the weren't rushed to the big leagues and disappoint.

Hicks, check.

Arcia: 102 OPS+ at age 22. What were your expectations, the Triple Crown?

#6 Turd Furgeson

Turd Furgeson

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Call me a homer but I think we should have more on this list. Rosario should be on this list but with the PED suspension I could understand if he was blackballed. Wonder where/if Hicks or Arcia would be on here if the weren't rushed to the big leagues and disappoint. I saw Jackie Bradley was still on here even though he was comparable to Hicks: tore up spring training and earned himself a spot on the opening day roster but then stunk up the joint. Also, not sure what Sano did to drop from 3 to 4. Taveras was hurt most of the year but did well in AAA. Bogaerts put up similar overall stats in the same league but is a year older and you could argue that he could have graduated from this list.

I think it has just as much to do with his failing to hit very well in AA and there are doubts about him sticking at 2B.

#7 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

"I think it has just as much to do with his failing to hit very well in AA and there are doubts about him sticking at 2B." I assume you are talking about Rosario. Tore it up in A+. In double A he hit .284. Not awesome but hardly a fail..

#8 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

"I think it has just as much to do with his failing to hit very well in AA and there are doubts about him sticking at 2B." I assume you are talking about Rosario. Tore it up in A+. In double A he hit .284. Not awesome but hardly a fail..

I thought he should have been in the top 100 too, until I looked at mlb's position rankings. They have him as the 8th best 2b. Five of the guys ahead of him had a higher ops in 2012 and one or two guys behind him had a higher ops as well.