Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Q&A with JO Berrios (English version)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...nglish-version)

#2 panolo

panolo

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

So humble. I don't know how you can't be a JO fan after reading this.

#3 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

I like his answer to what his strengths are: "the strikeouts."

Seems like a very coachable, professional kid.

Thanks Seth!

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

I've read in a lot of places scouts/FO types commenting on Berrios work ethic and training (along with stuff). That's great to see and it's good to see Berrios mentioning it himself. I really like this guy, hope he makes it.

#5 mdawg888

mdawg888

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

The only thing not to like about this kid is his terrible taste in movies.

Major League: Back to the Minors?!?! C'Mon Man!

#6 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

He is still a starter though right? Nice article...I like that he wants to strikeout people.

#7 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

1) Excellent stuff, Seth~ this is what keeps me coming back (multiple times) each day. Please keep it coming and thanks for the hard work and effort!

2)

The only thing not to like about this kid is his terrible taste in movies. Major League: Back to the Minors?!?! C'Mon Man!

As Jo sez, he is "learning every day"... maybe someone going to Twins Fest could set him up with a schwag bag of the good movies?

Love his attitude though, look forward to seeing his stuff.
Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

#8 Cris E

Cris E

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

>The only thing not to like about this kid is his terrible taste in movies.

This caught my eye as well. Very concerning...

#9 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

I met him in Cedar Rapids last year. Seems like a nice young man. I thought his English was pretty good. He is still very young. I hope he takes big steps forward this year.

#10 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

Ping pong is a great sport for people that relocate a lot. Jo sounds like a good young man with a solid plan. Get better at striking people out.

#11 jay

jay

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Good read -- thanks, Seth!

If he starts in the FSL this year, he'll enter that league 16 days younger than Miguel Sano (who was the youngest in that league on Opening Day last year). Even if he doesn't move to Ft Myers until a little later in the year, he'll still be one of the youngest players in the league. I hope he can live up to the challenge!

#12 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

I am impressed with not only Berrios attitude and eagerness to improve but also that of Meyer and May. Who else of the young pitchers has impressed anyone with their attitudes?

#13 PeanutsFromHeaven

PeanutsFromHeaven

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

The only thing not to like about this kid is his terrible taste in movies.

Major League: Back to the Minors?!?! C'Mon Man!

To be fair: Major League: Back to the Minors does tell the tale of a scrappy bunch of minor leaguers who take on--and out perform--a grumpy, woebegone set of Minnesota Twins.

Maybe JO isn't as much a fan of the cinematic qualities as he is of its ability to predict his/our future (a glorious future where Bob Ueker is our announcer and Scott Bakula is our coach)

Run and hide Kevin Corriea, run and hide.
Peanuts From Heaven

#14 Madre Dos

Madre Dos

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

I remember the day that Jose moved into the house. The conversation went something like this: "Jose, what do you like to eat?" A long pause and Jose says "I no eat shrimp. They make me go POOF!" So needless to say, he didn't eat shrimp. He loves cookie and cream ice cream and he is an EARLY riser. 1st to bed after the baseball game and dinner and was always up by the time I left for work in the morning. He was a joy to have him my home and I wish him nothing but happiness and success.

#15 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Thanks Seth

Keep thinking that signing Johan would be worth it just to see if Jose could learn his change up and pitching style.

#16 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

I would guess that being in CR was a tough adjustment for the him. First time away from the Ocean in a sea of Iowans.
Poor kid.
Hope he improves and works on his durability so he can get more innings.

#17 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

Let me second about Johan teaching Berrios his changeup and pitching style - how awesome would that be!!

#18 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

To be fair: Major League: Back to the Minors does tell the tale of a scrappy bunch of minor leaguers who take on--and out perform--a grumpy, woebegone set of Minnesota Twins.

Maybe that's it- Jo is already into to program with the Twins org. and so chooses this one. Not a bad sign.

Didn't want to derail the thread into a movie discussion, but since I've already made my comments, and this thread seems to have quieted down...

1) Any Major League installment without Charlie Sheen is not worth watching (they all have Uecker);
2) Precisely because we want Jo to succeed, becoming acquainted with Charlie Sheen and his er, lifestyle, Twitter, & er (again), lifestyle habits, etc. early on might not be a bad thing.
3) I'm overseas now, but if I was in MN, I would totally set him up with a bag of great BB movie DVDs- to "show the love".
Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

#19 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Ping pong is a great sport for people that relocate a lot. Jo sounds like a good young man with a solid plan. Get better at striking people out.

In all reality, I would prefer that he not play ping pong. I play a decent amount of ping pong and I have intermittent shoulder problems, as do some of the people that I play with.

#20 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Is it just me, or are there a disproportionate number of baseball movies that feature the Minnesota Twins in some way? This one, Angels in the Outfield, even Moneyball...

#21 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

oh no, I meant "little big league"... was it b/c leasing the Metrodome for films was super cheap?

#22 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

oh no, I meant "little big league"... was it b/c leasing the Metrodome for films was super cheap?

I'd say the dome had a lot to do with it. Not sure about the cost part, but having a controlled environment with good lighting probably made it a very appealing place to shoot a baseball movie.