Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Big Shock (Sarcasm): Tanaka to Yankees

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,119 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

#2 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Wow, a 7-year contract at what amounts to $25 million/year!

That is quite a bit more risky that I am comfortable with, and am glad the Twins didn't take that gamble.

#3 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

The good news is the free agent market should come to life again. Garza, Santana and company will finally find homes - and there will be actual baseball news stories to read again!

#4 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

Wow, a 7-year contract at what amounts to $25 million/year!

That is quite a bit more risky that I am comfortable with, and am glad the Twins didn't take that gamble.

This is the same deal Felix Hernandez received when you add in the $20M post fee, I think only Verlander and Kershaw make more. For a guy that has never pitched here and who scouts say does not compare to Darvish

Felix Hernandez has a career 3.20 in 9 seasons. 3 seasons with an ERA under 2.67. 8.4 K per 9.

The other thing that hasn't been talked about, Yu Darvish's success here certainly made this guy more attractive, but Yu has only been here two years. Nomo and Dice-K had two very good years as well.

Nomo first two years 2.90 ERA, he ended at 4.24
Dice-K first two years 3.73 ERA, he ended at 4.52
Yu's first two years, 3.34 ERA, he ended at ?????

We should be applauding this. I think this guys opt out may be laughable in four years.

Edited by tobi0040, 22 January 2014 - 09:13 AM.

#5 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

whoda thunk it ?

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

It's just money. Some teams spend it to win. Others, not so much. Anyone still think Ellsbury's contract will keep them from adding players?

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#7 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Twins were in on him until it went over 2 years @ 8 mill. Terry just couldn't get him to take his money!

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

This is the same deal Felix Hernandez received when you add in the $20M post fee, I think only Verlander and Kershaw make more. For a guy that has never pitched here and who scouts say does not compare to Darvish

Felix Hernandez has a career 3.20 in 9 seasons. 3 seasons with an ERA under 2.67. 8.4 K per 9.

The other thing that hasn't been talked about, Yu Darvish's success here certainly made this guy more attractive, but Yu has only been here two years. Nomo and Dice-K had two very good years as well.

Nomo first two years 2.90 ERA, he ended at 4.24
Dice-K first two years 3.73 ERA, he ended at 4.52
Yu's first two years, 3.34 ERA, he ended at ?????

We should be applauding this. I think this guys opt out may be laughable in four years.

If you have a billion a year in tv revenue, what does the money matter? They just showed the $189MM number has no meaning. So, they bought a number 2-4 pitcher. I don't get how that is bad/wrong/evil for them. I bet they go sign another pitcher now too. They have money, they had an open position, they spent money to fill the position. Seems like a good idea to me.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#9 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

As noted, it's their money, and this is how the Yanquis roll, so whatever.
Finally unblocking the FA logjam seems more interesting by far.

We face them in May, June & July, so let's hope for an "interesting" & extended transition.
Not to be negative, but I'm sick of being their whipping boys.

#10 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

This thread illustrates the difference between "NY way of thinking" and "Minnesota way of thinking". Wildcatters do have dry holes--but the winners make up for them.

#11 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

Yankees have spent half a BILLION dollars this winter & still have Kelly Johnson likely starting at 3B & Brian Roberts at 2B, plus the farm system is a mess and nearly everyone is an injury waiting to happen in their lineup. This signing is just another bad move for a franchise that clearly has no idea what it is doing year in and year out.

#12 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

It seems like a lot of money, but if he doesn't live up to the contract the Yankees know ways of getting out of it.

#13 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

Twins were in on him until it went over 2 years @ 8 mill. Terry just couldn't get him to take his money!

I know. It's so frustrating, this parsimony we have here in this organization. A mere $160 million and we could have had him...:D

#14 thetank

thetank

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

A few of the Yanks signings won't pan out. Beltran slumped in the 2nd half the past 2 years. Tanaka will be interesting.

#15 jm3319

jm3319

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

This thread illustrates the difference between "NY way of thinking" and "Minnesota way of thinking". Wildcatters do have dry holes--but the winners make up for them.

I think it's more about budgets and revenue flows....There's just simply no way the Twins can compete with the Uber-markets like New York and LA. Those teams get more in their TV deals than the Twins bring in total per year. It's just simply not a level playing field.

I'd love to see a hard salary cap in baseball, but know it has no chance of happening anytime soon.

#16 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

Yankees have spent half a BILLION dollars this winter & still have Kelly Johnson likely starting at 3B & Brian Roberts at 2B, plus the farm system is a mess and nearly everyone is an injury waiting to happen in their lineup. This signing is just another bad move for a franchise that clearly has no idea what it is doing year in and year out.

Yes in the playoffs 17 out of the last 20 years with 5 world series titles they clearly have no idea of what they are doing!

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#17 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,119 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'd love to see a hard salary cap in baseball, but know it has no chance of happening anytime soon.

Nope. And despite all the earlier chatter in the media about the Yankees staying under the luxury tax threshold, that was apparently blown apart, too:

• Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
    Yankees were already slightly over the $189m luxury tax threshold before Tanaka signing... so, that # is in the rear-view mirror.

7:56 AM - 22 Jan 2014

#18 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

Nope. And despite all the earlier chatter in the media about the Yankees staying under the luxury tax threshold, that was apparently blown apart, too:

• Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
    Yankees were already slightly over the $189m luxury tax threshold before Tanaka signing... so, that # is in the rear-view mirror.

7:56 AM - 22 Jan 2014

Slightly over means they still could have found a way to get under the threshold. That is the crazy thing about the Tanaka signing, its not costing them $25 mil a year, its costing closer to $35 million a year with the luxury tax.

#19 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

Yes in the playoffs 17 out of the last 20 years with 5 world series titles they clearly have no idea of what they are doing!

Let's talk recent history, they are clearly falling behind. What lead to the 5 world series titles was an infusion of in house talent that came through the minors and became the key pieces to those teams: Rivera, Pettite, Jeter, Cano, Posada etc. Now the cupboard is bare and other teams are starting to reap the benefits of TV deals (LA Dodgers, LA Angels, Seattle Mariners etc) so now they can't simply "sign everybody"

Also they have won only 1 title in the last 13 years...yes that is better than the Twins, but let's not pretend the Yankees have somehow been DOMINATING baseball the past decade or so.

#20 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

Great move for the Twins! I've watched him and not a big fan of him. Glad he will be pitching for he Yankees at a super high price.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

So if the minor league system is barren, they should NOT sign free agents? I'm confused how that would make them better.....

#22 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

"You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run."

#23 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

To me, judging success only on Titles is off....they have been in teh playoffs A LOT. When did they last lose 90+ games three years in a row?

#24 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

This is a great move in my book. I was all for signing Tanaka but as the off-season went on and his price started rising as did reports about how much abuse his arm has taken, I became happy the Twins weren't going to be in on him.

He could work out and be servicable, but there's likely an equally decent chance his arm gives out. Let the Yankees keep cycling these bad contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if both this and the Ellsbury contract look terrible by 2016.

#25 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

So what? In them meantime, they had 3 or more good years from the players. Again, why does the money matter if it does not keep them from signing players? Do people think salaries are going down over the next 3 years?

#26 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

FWIW, 7/$155M works out to $22M per year, not $25.
It's still a ton of money but that difference is not meaningless.

#27 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Why should we be upset with what the Yankees spend? Their fans spend a great deal of money to watch the Yankee BB team to be entertained and the owners invest much of that money in players so their fans can maximize (their) enjoyment. Are you advocating that Yankee owners slash their player budget and pocket as much of that cash as possible?--So other teams can win and have other fans be happy? Hmm, sounds rather short-term thinking to me.

#28 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

FWIW, 7/$155M works out to $22M per year, not $25.
It's still a ton of money but that difference is not meaningless.

+ 20 mil posting fee.

#29 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Glad the Twins weren't in on this one. That's a lot of money and time for a guy who's never pitched in MLB. Not a bad signing for a team like the Yankees but I the kind of deal that could hamstring a team like the Twins in the future.

#30 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,119 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

It is just money. And taking each team as a separate business (no comments about the relative wealth of the owners), the Yankees can simply afford to take a lot bigger $$$$ risks than the Twins. So can the Dodgers, Angels, Rangers and a number of other teams.

Could the Twins have afforded to pay Tanaka? Yes.

Would it have been a smart risk? No.

It may work out for the Yankees. It may not. Even if it doesn't, a bad $155 million ($175 million investment w/posting fee) isn't back-breaking for them given their revenues. It would be awfully hard to stomach for the Twins (and their fans).