Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Organizational Depth Chart - Outfielders

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:16 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...art-Outfielders

#2 VandyTwinsFan

VandyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

Did you intentionally forget to put Colabello on a roster?

#3 Ctwink

Ctwink

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

and Max Kepler?

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

If Mastroianni makes the Twins over Hicks and if Willingham plays more than a quarter of his innings at LF (instead of DHing,) the Twins are in for a long season. Mastroianni adds nothing to a roster that has Presley. I still see the Twins adding an OF bat in an 1 year type of contract or trading for someone in his last contract year.

#5 TPetter

TPetter

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

Seth, are you hinting that a Johan signing is in the offing?

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

Added Colabello and kepler to this, though both were also mentioned in the 1B article.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Seth, are you hinting that a Johan signing is in the offing?

Never know... wouldn't surprise me. He won't be pitching until June, and I think he knows that the Twins will take care of him and his arm. I think it's 50/50.

#8 tellis205

tellis205

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

A month or so before Eddie Rosario was even rumored to be suspended, I heard that there was internal discussions going on whether to move him back to the outfield. This being because of Dozier's turnaround this year. Since then he's been suspended. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Rosario stayed at 2nd base but played a significant amount of games in the OF this year once he returns. The amount of OF's we have is a strength and will be good leverage in future trade talks.

#9 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

As you look at your roster projections: Who are some guys that could block a mid season promotion from the lower levels if they played well?

Example: If Nate Roberts plays well at Fort Myer - does he move to New Britain mid season and if he does move to New Britain - who from New Britain gets cut or moves up.

I would like everyones Mid Season promotions and (possible / needed) moves to pull those promotions off..............

#10 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

I can see all three moving up to AAA during 2014 season.
Danny Ortiz (LF), Byron Buxton (CF), Mike Kvasnicka (RF)

I can see JD Williams. Roberts and possibly Walker moving to AA during 2014 season

I see Murphy filling in where needed at High A and above based on injuries and such.
I see Kepler staying in High A all year with his 2015 season being AA & call up possibility.

I also see some trades in the near future for some of these guys. Probably add ons to bigger trades.

#11 VandyTwinsFan

VandyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

added colabello and kepler to this, though both were also mentioned in the 1b article.

[color=#444444][font=arial]touché[/font][/color]

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

There will be guys that get released during and at the end of spring training. It's an unfortunate, but necessary, part of the business. In these, you've seen all the names. I'm not going to discuss who is likely to be released throughout the year.

Players move up, and sometimes it's because people get hurt up above. Prospects move up when they're ready, and some guys are at risk because they're just not going to block top guys.

#13 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

A month or so before Eddie Rosario was even rumored to be suspended, I heard that there was internal discussions going on whether to move him back to the outfield. This being because of Dozier's turnaround this year. Since then he's been suspended. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Rosario stayed at 2nd base but played a significant amount of games in the OF this year once he returns. The amount of OF's we have is a strength and will be good leverage in future trade talks.

Hmm, it seems to me that if the Twins were serious about trading Rosario they'd want him to play 2B as much as possible. He'd have more trade value if he demonstrates he can be capable there. As a corner outfielder he doesn't really project to be a plus hitter.

#14 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

Any chance of Dozier going back to shortstop? At some point I like an infield of Pinto, Sano, Dozier, Rosario and Mauer to go with an outfield of Arcia, Buxton and Hicks.

#15 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

Travis Harrison mentioned yesterday they told him if he was ever going to make the bigs, it would be in the outfield. He played only 3rd base last season and then the outfield in the fall. I look to see him in the outfield alot more this season as he chases the dream.

#16 OldManWinter

OldManWinter

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

I assume Arcia is a definite defensive upgrade over Delmon Young?

#17 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Rosario back to LF, Buxton in CF, Hicks in RF, Arcia at DH.....your 2015 starting Twins OF/DH rotation.

Or, maybe Hicks in LF and Arcia in RF, and ? at DH, with Rosario or Dozier dealt.....

#18 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hmm, it seems to me that if the Twins were serious about trading Rosario they'd want him to play 2B as much as possible. He'd have more trade value if he demonstrates he can be capable there. As a corner outfielder he doesn't really project to be a plus hitter.

If it's me, I play him at 2B as long as possible because it will take him 0 time to move back to the OF. He's already very good there. No reason to move him from 2B if there's any chance at all they'll trade him or play him there.

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

Travis Harrison mentioned yesterday they told him if he was ever going to make the bigs, it would be in the outfield. He played only 3rd base last season and then the outfield in the fall. I look to see him in the outfield alot more this season as he chases the dream.

And he played there quite a lot before being drafted, in his amateur days, so it makes sense.

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

I assume Arcia is a definite defensive upgrade over Delmon Young?

My honest opinion is probably... Not sure yet. But, Arcia should be in right field where I think he'd be just fine. Not great, maybe not even all that good, but just fine.

#21 Cris E

Cris E

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

The amount of OF's we have is a strength and will be good leverage in future trade talks.

Only if Terry Ryan ever considers trading a minor leaguer... (Or were you saying we have leverage in talks with our own players because we have so many minor league OF piling up and "We've got guys willing to play for nothing if you won't take it"?) Whatever, more options are good, but wasting careers by not playing OR trading players is just selfish. Ryan has to find roles for these guys, and trade bait is a noble use.

#22 OldManWinter

OldManWinter

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

I am curious if Garcia is a definite defensive improvement over Delmon Young? And, Willingham?

#23 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

With progression, talent, and a little bit of luck perhaps:

2015 Twins OF

Hicks-Buxton-Arcia----Presley &/or healthy Mastro as reserves. Possibly Plouffe.

Walker and Ortiz close and waiting in the wings.

#24 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Given this article, all those who miss Joe Benson raise your hand.

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

Given this article, all those who miss Joe Benson raise your hand.

Here here.
2 words: Josh Hamilton.
Methinks that Joe Benson needs similar help. And I will leave it at that (and I am not talking about adiction here)

Edited by Thrylos, 22 January 2014 - 09:59 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#26 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

Here here.
2 words: Josh Hamilton.
Methinks that Joe Benson needs similar help. And I will leave it at that (and I am not talking about adiction here)

Huge difference, Hamilton had/has/always has had significantly more raw talent then Benson ever had.

#27 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:49 AM

If the Twins have any outfielder who has a chance to be a Josh Hamilton Comp - It would be Walker (Size - Free Swinger - Power - Range - Production as a run producer). Not Benson. He just needs to step up with his OBP. He had an OBP of .400 / .486 / & .426 in college years respectively. Maybe he can get that awareness back. He has always been my Hamilton comp.

Edited by lightfoot789, 23 January 2014 - 01:51 AM.

#28 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Terry Ryan says that Walker has more power than anyone in the organization.

#29 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Terry Ryan says that Walker has more power than anyone in the organization.

Homerun Derby, Sano vs. Walker. Go!

#30 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

lightfoot... I don't want to put words into Thrylos' mouth, but before you volunteer Walker up as your Hamilton-clone, you might want to ask yourself if he was talking about this:

http://www.jeffpearl...hing-20-pounds/