Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

For fun: How many batted balls (fouls and HRs) have you caught?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 thetank

thetank

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

How many foul balls and/or HRs have you grabbed in the stands during the game? I've gotten 1 in 120 games. A foul ball behind home plate from Eli Marrero that rolled to my feet in which I picked it up. There had been a rain delay so I was given two tickets to a seat near the field at the old Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

I've had a couple of balls thrown to me before the game.

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

None.

Closest ever was last year, at the WBC in Phoenix. Joe Mauer lined one into the third base stands and it landed one row below me and one seat to the right. A companion happened to be sitting there (we had spread out because of less than capacity attendance) and he ducked to the side rather than try for it. And even though it was coming almost right at me, I didn't even bother to move - this was no popup where it's uncertain where it will land and you might jockey for it, instead it was clear it wasn't going to be within easy reach. It was definitely scorched, and probably would have hurt me if I'd tried. An older woman below us wound up with the ball. Would have been great to have snared it, it being Mauer and all, but I didn't want to end up on the stadium cam fighting an old lady (and perhaps losing).

#3 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,234 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Wasn't a batted ball ... but Bert threw a ball up to me as he came off the field after striking someone out for the 3rd out. Catcher threw the ball back to him and as he walked off the field (I was sitting in the 1st row behind the dugout) he threw the ball up to me. My boyfriend at the time lunged in front of me and intercepted the throw, but no way did he get away with that. I still have the ball. And I won't say what year that was in.

My mom 'caught' a foul a couple of years ago at ST. The ball was coming our way and everyone around us jumped up to catch it. We all heard a 'thunk' but no one could find the ball. The 'thunk' was the ball hitting the back of the seat in front of us; and it deflected into my mom's lap where it stayed. She had a pretty nice bruise by later that day. But not bad for an 80-yr-old. She is very proud of that story to this day.
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

I've gotten quite a few BP balls but never an in game MLB ball. Back in the terribly late 90's you only had to fight about six other people to get them because no one was at the dome. One of my favorites is a ball Dan Plesac tossed to me, I think he did it because I called out his name even though he was wearing his warm up jacket over his jersey so you couldn't read his name. No clue how I recognized him, I'm not usually good with faces, but he must have been impressed even though it was probably 30% recoginition and 70% dumb luck.

My most regrettable is a JC Romero ball. My sister had a friend who had a season ticket package with seats behind the bullpen and she was regularly invited to go to games. The first game she called out to JC for a ball and he brought her over four. Every game after he started signing balls for her even though she claims she didn't ask for them. I went with her one game and she asked him to sign a ball for me. I still feel gross knowing I got that ball because I was OK with JC Romero hitting on my sister. Not gross enough to stop me from displaying it with my other baseball stuff though I guess.

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

My boyfriend at the time lunged in front of me and intercepted the throw

Grounds for summarily becoming ex-boyfriend?

#6 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,234 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

Grounds for summarily becoming ex-boyfriend?

I do take my baseball rather seriously ... ;)
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#7 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Only one, total. Happened last season. I was sitting next to the dugout in New Britain and Sano tossed me a ball. Maybe it doesn't count, but I kept the ball as something very special to me.
Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
Better get while the gettin's good
Catch a ride to the end of the highway
Where the neons turn to wood

#8 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

4, in about 200 games.

1. Ball thrown to me during pre-game warmups at Dome in '96 by A's pitcher Jim Corsi.
2. Ball tossed to me by Michael Ryan during that 0-0 15-inning game vs Indians in '02
3. Random loose ball at White Sox spring training game in '03
4. Foul ball hit by Cuddyer at Dome on Fan Appreciation Day 2006

#9 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

[FONT=arial]April 3, 1998 - Home Opener versus the Royals at the Dome. Sitting lower deck down the third base line, about halfway between the bullpen and the foul pole and maybe 10-12 rows up with my wife and another couple. Terry Pendleton at the plate, Brad Radke on the hill, Pendleton hits a slicing fly ball down the left field line. It slices foul, takes one spinny bounce once off the carpet and lands right in my glove. Yes, my glove. A 27 year old me brought a glove to the game. But it paid off, me boy. That is the only foul ball I've ever caught. Although probably 15-16-ish years earlier, in nearly the same spot, I had my hand on a foul ball in the row behind me, but my arm was nearly wrenched all the way behind me giving me little leverage, and a classmate had two hands on it, and I grudgingly let it go.[/FONT]

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Three
- Caught a line drive HR to deep center in the dome off Chili Davis' bat (still hurts) in 1991 (American League Ball)
- Got a pop foul in 1995 at New Britain, their first year of their Twins' affiliation when they were Hardware City at the old Beehive Field (Eastern League Ball)
- Was tossed one (by Drew Butera of all people) while at the OF tables during Twins' BP at the Tampa ballpark last Spring Training (MLB Ball)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,512 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

None. Closest I ever came was a Griffey line drive home run during batting practice at the 1992 All Star Game. It went between me and my cousin at about 120mph. Barely missed my hand and took out some poor bastard's beer directly behind us.

I am so glad I didn't touch that ball. I don't know if I've ever seen anything that small moving that quickly. It probably would have just kept going into the stands with my hand attached to it.

I've been really close to at least a dozen foul tips (I rarely sit in the OF) but nothing within reach.

#12 Gene Larkin Fan Club

Gene Larkin Fan Club

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Zero. Closest was as a kid at Wrigley Field. Sitting three rows up from the Reds on-deck circle. Keith Moreland fouled one off and everyone around me put their hats up to try to catch the ball in their hats. I was swiping the hats away to try to see the ball and it me in the knuckle. Old guy behind me got the ball. Still bitter.

Did get a ball flipped to me at the dome by Jason Giambi when he with the A's. Gave the ball to a little kid nearby. I'm friends with Giambi's old high school basketball coach we got pretty well hooked up for the weekend. Good times!

#13 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Two. Both were batting practice balls, so I don't know who hit them. One was a Cleveland Indian in '88, and the other was a Blue Jay in '09, the last year at the Dome. We were sitting int he first (open) row in left and someone lined it right at my sister's head. Would have hit her on the top of the head (she was going after something in her bag) and I stuck my hand out. Was unable to palm it, and it hurt like a mother the rest of the game. A lot of cold beers kept that bruise down.

#14 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

I've had caught a small number of minor league foul balls and when my kids were little, they were usually effective bait to use to get a MLB player to toss you a ball behind the dugout before games started.

But it took about 50 years of going to MLB games before I finally got a batted ball during a game and then it happened two straight days.

Spring training a few years ago, I got a foul line drive down the line beyond the dugout at a Twins/Jays game in Dunedin and the very next day at a Twins/Pirates game in Bradenton I was in the first row down the LF line and a squibber rolled along in front of the wall that I just leaned over and scooped up.
I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#15 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

None. I've been one seat away from probably twenty or so. My brother has caught two while sitting next to me, one was a Raul Ibanez home run ball and the other was a foul ball roller tossed into the stands by the late Jose Lima. Two separate Royals vs. Twins games at the Metrodome.

Edited by Boom Boom, 14 January 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#16 steve

steve

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Zero balls:

The first year Metrodome was open, after a few innings, I got up to walk around and check the place out. During my journey, a foul ball bounced off of the very seat I had been sitting in.

A couple of years back at Wrigley Field, a ball came very close. It was rather mesmerizing; you see batted balls all the time but this one came right for us. My wife held up a Cubs blanket she had bought to defend herself. Fortunately a guy sitting to our right reached over and grabbed the ball.

Last year at Target Field I was sitting in one of those concrete troughs near the field for people with limited mobility. A foul ball bounced maybe 10 feet from me. I had brought a glove but made no try to snag it. It was a high pop up and the daytime sun was blinding.

One bat:

After the last game of the 2011 season we were standing next to the field. Drew Butera walked by, his arms loaded with gear. My wife put out her hand. Drew handed her a bat. A Louisville Slugger "Genuine I13" model Delmon Young. Has pine tar on it. The bat is next to me as I type this.

Edited by steve, 14 January 2014 - 05:24 PM.
brevity

#17 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

None, but I came close.

The first weekend series of the opening of Target Field I came close to catching a homerun ball. The Twins were playing the Royals and Orlando Hudson hit one out to left field and the ball was coming right at me but it just clanged off the deck above and went back on the field.

Everyone was excited but I was disappointed as I was soo close to catching a ball.

#18 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

70+ bp balls, and 2 ground rule doubles in the same game from Matt Lawton

#19 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

One. Matt Lawton hit a ground rule, opposite field double that managed to hit some empty metrodome seats and after a few fortunate bounces off both person and plastic - I had myself a ball!

The best part was that they were running a "get your ball signed if you catch a foul ball in the fourth inning" promotion and their PR guy waddled down and said "What the hell...ground rule doubles too". I reluctantly gave up the ball and had it shipped to me a few weeks later with Matty's signature. I took a ton of heat for just handing it over and trusting I'd get it back.

#20 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Hmm, how many GR2B did Matty Lawton hit in his career? Do you two account for the majority?

My count: Zero

Closest - Yohan Santana's rookie year, 17K game. Sitting down 1st base line, foul pop landed three seats to my left. The lady in the seat next to me gave me a dirty look for sticking my glove out towards it, but I had had enough beer and dome dogs to let it go.

Oh, and I am 35 and I still bring my glove to every game I go to.

#21 tellis205

tellis205

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

We used to go in and sit first serve in left field in the Metrodome. If you got in fast enough,
you could get all the way down to the first row that wasn't roped off. When you got in there,
there was always balls laying in the aisles from the opposite team's batting practice. I caught a few batting practice homeruns while sitting down there. But the only one I caught during a game was during a game against KC. I had already found 1 batting practice ball in the aisle and I had also caught one during batting practice. 2 out of my 3 kids were happy. I gave them to my youngest ones hoping my oldest (10 years old) would be mature enough to handle it. He wasn't. He whined about it during the game. I told him if I caught a HR ball, I'd give it to him and I also told him that if I gave it to him, the fans would be screaming at him to throw it back. He said I'd never catch one so it didn't matter. Well, Joe Randa came to the plate and hit it right to me just above Jacque Jones glove. I took the ball and whipped it into his glove and told him to now be quiet. All the fans were screaming at him to throw it back but he refused and held his ground. Unbeknownst to me, my dad was reading the Star Tribune the next day and saw a picture of me on the front page catching that ball. I went out and bought 5 copies. I'll never forget that for the rest of my life.

#22 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

April 14, 2005 was quite a lucky day for me. I had never gotten a ball prior to that day. I brought my glove to the game because my tickets were in left field and we got there when the gates opened. I caught 3 batting practice balls hit by Detroit. None of which I had to move a foot in either direction to catch. Then during the game, Lew Ford hit a 3 run homer right at me. Like batting practice, all I had to do was stand up a stick my glove out. The ball has not hit the ground since it left Kyle Farnsworth's hand.
That night, FSN replayed the game and I recorded it. The tape is in a box somewhere I'm sure. One of these days I'll have to pull it out and show it to my boy(if my VCR still works).

#23 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

We used to go in and sit first serve in left field in the Metrodome. If you got in fast enough,
you could get all the way down to the first row that wasn't roped off. When you got in there,
there was always balls laying in the aisles from the opposite team's batting practice. I caught a few batting practice homeruns while sitting down there. But the only one I caught during a game was during a game against KC. I had already found 1 batting practice ball in the aisle and I had also caught one during batting practice. 2 out of my 3 kids were happy. I gave them to my youngest ones hoping my oldest (10 years old) would be mature enough to handle it. He wasn't. He whined about it during the game. I told him if I caught a HR ball, I'd give it to him and I also told him that if I gave it to him, the fans would be screaming at him to throw it back. He said I'd never catch one so it didn't matter. Well, Joe Randa came to the plate and hit it right to me just above Jacque Jones glove. I took the ball and whipped it into his glove and told him to now be quiet. All the fans were screaming at him to throw it back but he refused and held his ground. Unbeknownst to me, my dad was reading the Star Tribune the next day and saw a picture of me on the front page catching that ball. I went out and bought 5 copies. I'll never forget that for the rest of my life.

Good for you guys not throwing it back. I always thought that was kinda dumb. Especially the time I was at a game against the White Sox and Jim Thome hit a HR not far from where I was sitting. The man who got the ball gave into the pressure and threw it back. Someday he'll tell the story about how he caught a HR ball of HOF'er Jim Thome, and when they ask what happened to the ball he'll have to say, "I threw it back".

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hmm, how many GR2B did Matty Lawton hit in his career? Do you two account for the majority?

I have to imagine we have the monopoly on it.....

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,296 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

None. At least no game or BP foul balls/home runs.

However, in probably 1984, maybe 1985, in Batting Practice, we were on the left field line, by the old bullpens at the Dome. A ball came over there and John Henry Johnson, a reliever for the Red Sox ran all the way over. Of course, I was yelling "Give me the ball. Throw it to me, please!" Johnson picked up the ball, looked up, and walked away. But i could hear him say, "Well, I came this far..." And he tossed me the ball. It was pretty exciting!

I've told this story on podcasts before. Of course, few remember John Henry Johnson, but I will. Also, I took that ball and it was signed by a couple of Twins. One was Kirby Puckett. Another was Dave Engle. I tossed him the ball, and he said, "Thanks! We need some more baseballs." And he threw it into the ball bucket. I was saddened and was about to start walking away, and he said, "Just kidding, kid." He picked up the ball and signed it and threw it back to me.

I wish I had kept that ball.

#26 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

None that I kept. I caught one ball from Chad Curtis, with the Detroit Tigers at the time. I was with a girl wearing a Curtis jersey (seriously!) and another guy from Detroit, and he threw the practice ball up to us, and I caught the ball. I gave it to the girl of the group who was infatuated with Curtis (later found out she attempted to get him to her hotel room when he was a Yankee and he declined).

Close, but no cigar story: Being a huge Braves fan in the midst of the upper midwest was not fun for my growing up as there was no interleague for most of it, and the closest National League team was Chicago. By the time I was in college, however, Milwaukee was in the NL, so I had a closer destination to see them, especially since I was at the U. We went in Miller Park's first season to a Braves game, and we had very nice seats along the third base line. I always keep score at ballgames, and I was in the midst of catching up from a rough inning for John Smoltz when Andruw Jones came up to the plate. He hit a screaming liner that I looked up just in time to duck away from before it hit me in the head and get a fingertip on. It landed in the lap of the guy behind me.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#27 TwinsGuy55422

TwinsGuy55422

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

I have caught probably 20 or some batting practice homerun balls over the years. I have also caught 3 in-game balls. The first was in Kansas City in 2012. Alexi Casilla recorded the third out of an inning and threw the ball to me as he was running off the field. Then in 2013 at Target Field, I caught a foul ball down the first baseline hit by Chris Parmelee against the Phillies. Later that summer, I caught a homerun ball in left field hit by Alexei Ramirez of the White Sox. Despite the peer pressure, I could not bring myself to throw the ball back.
[FONT=century gothic]TwinsGuy55422
"And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"
[/FONT]

#28 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

I have an old Morneau Team Canada jersey from the 2006 WBC. Morneau's number is #27, because Larry Walker had #33 that year. People ask me why his number is #27 on the jersey, and it's fun to replay, deadpan, "#27 is #33--according to the metric system..."

Anyway, Morneau tossed me a ball in 2007 at an Orioles game at Camden Yards, then he signed the jersey. The jersey has been a draw ever since. He once signed a ball for my son, "Happy Birthday, John, 5/15/09" Justin Morneau" I kept the ball in my sock drawer until the following season, and when Morneau stepped to the plate against the Yankees, John got his birthday present. On the next pitch, Morneau hit a home run off Phil Hughes.

Since then our family has attended two or three away games each year, and a few Spring Training tilts--one where we came up with a screaming Brian Dinkleman foul ball over the third base dugout.

But my favorite moment was the last year in the Marlins/Joe Robbie Stadium. I was at a conference in Florida, and the family came along for a few vacation days. The Reds were playing the Marlins, and Ricky Nolasco gave up a home run to right field. The ball landed in the tunnel where the grounds crew keeps its equipment. My youngest boy, six years old at the time, could hardly catch a beach ball. But he stood on tiptoes and peered over the railing anyway. The groundskeeper soft tossed the ball into his waiting hands for a perfect two-handed catch. The proudest little boy in the world held the ball high over his head while the whole section cheered.

Now that Hughes and Nolasco are Twins, hopefully that's the end of home run stories involving those two pitchers...

#29 rpar1951

rpar1951

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

I have been going to games since the Twins' first season of 1961; games all over the country. I don't know how many games that adds up to be but in all those years, I have never caught an in-game ball. I've gotten some BP homeruns and Jeff Reardon tossed me a ball that rolled out to the warning track at the Kingdome during BP in 1988. Greg Maddux, when he was a Cub, picked up a ball in the OF while he was doing windsprints before a spring training game in Mesa. He looked up into the stands and saw me standing there virtually alone with my glove raised (it was about two hours before game time) and tossed it to me. I keep that one on my desk at work and "worry" it like Captain Queeg and his marbles. My biggest "catch" was between innings at an A's/Red Sox game in Fenway back in May of 1972 while I was in college. Reggie Jackson was warming up his arm by tossing to Dave Duncan in the A's right field bullpen. He threw one high and it glanced off Duncan's glove and straight back over the fence and into the stands. It struck four rows of empty seats in front of me (the Sox rarely sold out back then) and bounced right into my hands. Jackson yelled at me, "Toss it back. It's the only one we have!" I yelled back a one-word expletive that let him know that I doubted the veracity of that statement. He shrugged his shoulders, Duncan reached into a ball bag, and they resumed their game of catch. Later, Reggie Smith hit a walk-off homerun into the right field bleachers but nowhere near me. As I was exiting the ballpark rubbing my baseball, someone thought it was Smith's homerun ball and offered me money for it. I said I wasn't selling. But I didn't tell him it wasn't the game-winner. It didn't matter: I wasn't letting go of that ball. I still bring my glove to games and hold out hope that a foul will eventually come my way.

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

I thought this was going to turn into a kids/fantasy team kind of thread, as in, everybody wants to talk about theirs but nobody else really cares to listen.

Plot twist: Hell no! Great stories everyone and great thread.