Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Crickets chirping

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

For all Ryan's bold talk, if the offseason ended today I'd consider it a disappointment. They've signed some pitchers, but the payroll hasn't gone up. As the payroll stands now, it will be well below their 50-52%. This offense as it stands now will still challenge all-time futility records. Its that bad.

They have ONE proven hitter. ONE. Two if you count Willy, but he was brutal last year. Why not sign a professonal hitter? Why not go all in on Morales? Who on earth cares about the draft pick? Apathy has set in for so many Twins fans. Nolasco, Hughes, and Pelfrey aren't enough to cure it. For goodness sake, throw us some crumbs. Do something. Overpay if you must. The money is there. They can spend it, or they can pocket it.

#2 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

The problem that I'm seeing with that is so few players I would want them to sign...the one or two I've heard argued for have equally been argued against by the fans. No the off season will be a success even if nothing else happens but I sure hope they find a way to make a trade or two to improve.

#3 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Well, it's certainly exceeded my expectations. I went on record as saying I didn't think payroll would exceed 80M and it has. I set the over-under on free agent pitching salaries for next year at $12M and they have spend $24M. Maybe my expectations were low, but they've exceeded them.

I'd still applaud signing Stephen Drew or one of the top flight (better than Arroyo) pitchers, but I'm a lot more optimistic about this team than I was 3 months ago either way.

#4 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

I have the opposite view, they have already beat my meager expectations coming into the offseason. We actually have a credible (not great) starting staff now. The offense still looks troublesome, but I can wait for the youngsters to get up with the big club.

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,722 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

They greatly surpassed my expectations in December. Now that we've seen no action since that point, my excitement has dwindled a bit. Overall, the team has exceeded my expectations.

I don't mind that they've been idle for the past month. This offseason has been pretty odd with so much stalling as everyone seems to wait on Tanaka.

If the offseason ended today, I'd be positive about it but I won't be truly excited unless they pick up a bat before the end of February. Ryan did a great job with the pitching staff but the offense still needs help.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

I think that they will do something, but I just don't see how they can fit Morales to the gluttony of no-field players they got (Willingham, Arcia, Kubel, Parmelee, Colabello).
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Morales from Seattle would be a horrible signing at the cost of a draft pick. Drew would be better, we would at least get some defense from him. And he would be much cheaper.

#8 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Twins will be shedding some of the good hit no field players later in spring training if not sooner. Too many factors are in play now to bring in more possible DH types as that is where the Twins are hoping Willingham ends up along with some of Kubel(if he makes the club, Parmelee if he does not). Twins are stilling leaving room in case 1 or 2 of Hicks, Sano or a couple of others surprise in spring training. Plouffe will probably by the end of the year transition to the DH part time player or platoon player. Extra players will not help this issue. We all are disappointed, but this makes sense.

#9 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

I do not see a lot of valuable hitters on the FA market still available. Would a trade for a buy-low candidate like Matt Kemp be an option? Dodgers eat 1/4 of his salary and we give him a #6-10 prospect, like Rosario, Kepler or even a pitcher like Berrios with some other low minor fillers. It would be nice to have a real MLB bat in the lineup that is still in their prime.

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

The Twins have signed three free agent pitchers and reportedly still have interest in others. The offense hasn't seen much movement outside of Suzuki and Kubel but the offense is where the prospect reinforcements will come from. There's just not a lot out there. I don't want the soon to be albatross contracts of Boras' decline phase/platoon players Morales and Drew. They're still being connected to Mark Reynolds though and there's plenty of time for trades.

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,722 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

I do not see a lot of valuable hitters on the FA market still available. Would a trade for a buy-low candidate like Matt Kemp be an option? Dodgers eat 1/4 of his salary and we give him a #6-10 prospect, like Rosario, Kepler or even a pitcher like Berrios with some other low minor fillers. It would be nice to have a real MLB bat in the lineup that is still in their prime.

Matt Kemp would require a Buxton/Sano type in return if the Dodgers ate part of his contract. As recently as 2012, he posted a 147 OPS+.

And money doesn't really appear to be a problem for the Dodgers so I doubt they're all that eager to unload Kemp's contract right now.

#12 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

They have both exceeded my expectations and left me disappointed.

They spent more than I thought they would, but still look like a 90 loss team with lots of money left in their pocket.

#13 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

The day they signed Nolasco is when they exceeded my expectations, when they signed Hughes I became downright greedy and now want more.

Expect? No, want? Yes.

#14 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

They spent more than I thought they would, but still look like a 90 loss team with lots of money left in their pocket.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. They exceeded my expectations partially because they were so low and they still have a lot of holes.

#15 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

I expect them to do at least one more signing before spring training. While I'm disappointed they haven't yet, i understand what's holding things up. In the case of pitchers, it's the Tanaka signing, which will set the market for guys like Garza. In the case of position players, it's the agent, who knows the value of his clients' contracts will only go up as we approach spring training. He's playing a game of chicken with the GMs interested in his players. And he will likely win. I am less optimistic on those guys simply because Ryan gets them only if Boras loses his game. It has happened (Kenny Rogers). But that is rare.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#16 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,711 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Glass Half Full.

Glass Half Empty.

BOTH.

#17 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

For my perspective this has been a very good off-season. Adding (and improving) the SP has been very welcomed. (Disclaimer: Yes we didn't land any aces, but compared to 2013 SP is/should be better.)

I am not of the mind that spending money b/c you have it equates to a successful off-season. If we were coming off a .500 or better season with a legitimate chance to win the division then I would be disappointed in not using any and all resources available.

Let's face it, we are still in the rebuilding stage, waiting for our prospects to arrive. Turning this ship around will take a bit more time (2014) and patience. There is a balance that needs to be struck for now and future considerations. 2015 and beyond transactions will be very critical to the Twins long-term success.

IMHO, outside of the pitching that was/is available there really aren't any position free agents I'm am coveting now. While Drew is intriguing there is the argument that the round 2 draft choice could lead to future trade opportunities. Just a thought.

Patience is a virtue but action alone can be debilitating.

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

I don't expect anything else and, for me, that's ok. This team might still be a 90 or so loss team even if they sign Drew. (I'd still like to see them do it, but just being realistic about the impact)

It's been great to see them go outside their own comfort zone to address one part of the team's recent failures. That alone exceeded the threshold I was hoping for.

#19 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

It has been crickets everywhere the past month or so in the FA market. The entire SP market is being held up by Tanaka, and to a lesser extend the hitting market as well. The minute he signs the 5-6 legit contending teams that didn't land him will go after the next best SP's and the bats that cost 45 mil+

#20 zwiefz

zwiefz

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

True, very little(if any) help for the offense. But take a look at the free agent list for this year. When guys like Salty and Drew are ranked among the top 10-20 position players you know there isn't much out there. There was no way the Twins were getting an Ellsbury, Cano, etc type player. Spending money just for the sake of spending money(even if it isn't mine) doesn't make sense. Assuming the Twins would have to offer significantly more than other teams to sign a free agent since they are a bottom feeder currently, who would you have pushed for? People are talking about $10 million a year plus a draft pick for Drew. For 32 more points of batting average and 4 more homers than Florimon? I'll pass. Same goes for any thought about adding Mark Reynolds. How is he an upgrade over Plouffe? Can't play defense, strikes out more, and hits for a lower average.

Maybe after the pitching market sorts itself Ryan can swing some sort of deal for a position player by dealing from the 'surplus' of starters or prospects. But at this point I think what you see is what you're going to get. And based on the price tags I'm seeing on the free agents that have signed so far, I don't fault the Twins for not going harder after any of these guys.

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,722 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

People are talking about $10 million a year plus a draft pick for Drew. For 32 more points of batting average and 4 more homers than Florimon? I'll pass.

It has more to do with Drew's 111 OPS+ versus Florimon's 70 OPS+.

Batting average and homers tell only part of the story of those two players. Last year, Drew was 11% better than league average (which is very good from the SS position) while Pedro Florimon was 30% worse than league average with the bat.

That's an enormous difference.

Really, batting average and homeruns mean very little in a vacuum unless the numbers are absurdly high or low.

#22 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

It has been crickets everywhere the past month or so in the FA market. The entire SP market is being held up by Tanaka, and to a lesser extend the hitting market as well. The minute he signs the 5-6 legit contending teams that didn't land him will go after the next best SP's and the bats that cost 45 mil+

IMO getting out in front of the offseason instead of waiting will prove to be the wiser choice, even if they had to settle for 2nd tier talents.

Still would love to see them make a run at Ubaldo or Santana after the market gets going again though (if not Tanaka).

#23 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

It has more to do with Drew's 111 OPS+ versus Florimon's 70 OPS+.

Batting average and homers tell only part of the story of those two players. Last year, Drew was 11% better than league average (which is very good from the SS position) while Pedro Florimon was 30% worse than league average with the bat.

That's an enormous difference.

Really, batting average and homeruns mean very little in a vacuum unless the numbers are absurdly high or low.

And what it tells us, is that there is a very good chance that Florimons HR count of 9 last year was pretty damn flukey to begin with. Florimon simply is not an every day major league player, he will never hit enough to be one.

#24 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

IMO getting out in front of the offseason instead of waiting will prove to be the wiser choice, even if they had to settle for 2nd tier talents.

Still would love to see them make a run at Ubaldo or Santana after the market gets going again though (if not Tanaka).

Agreed, I think they ended up getting Nolasco and Hughes on pretty damn good deals. Reports also had them aggressive on some bats early on as well, they offered AJ two years but he choose to take a one year deal for a contender (Boston) and they were in on Salty but came up short. Obviously coming up a bit short doesn't help the team now or in the future, but it is a sign of encouragement that they were being aggressive so early on. I am sure they have other offers out to players currently as well, however they aren't simply going to overpay just to overpay. Realistically as I have stated a few times, they only positions that make sense improving over the course of the next 2-3 years are SS, C and maybe a corner OF spot. Nobody is really left at C, so the Twins will roll the dice with Pinto/Suzuki at this point. SS has Drew, who is a damn fine overall player and would be a very nice upgrade over everyone else they have tossed out to man the position over the past few years.

There are plenty of LF/RF on the market every year, at this point I think the best bet is to roll with Willingham to start the year in one of the spots and Arcia in the other.

#25 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

I'm satisfied mainly because I believe its another step in returning the Twins to long term success. Their farm system is short on starting pitching so they went outside their box to fix that for the near term. I don't see much in position player moves, just because there isn't much out there. I think their offense will be a little better just from player improvement and better health. I think the real activity is going to place in July when I anticipate that Willingham, Correia and Burton will all be moved.

#26 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

https://encrypted-tb...vNgrOGBFZzQALpa RlNC_hXCA98K58KKqYj............................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg.............................................

Edited by twinsnorth49, 13 January 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#27 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

I'm satisfied mainly because I believe its another step in returning the Twins to long term success. Their farm system is short on starting pitching so they went outside their box to fix that for the near term. I don't see much in position player moves, just because there isn't much out there. I think their offense will be a little better just from player improvement and better health. I think the real activity is going to place in July when I anticipate that Willingham, Correia and Burton will all be moved.

It seems like we exceeded most peoples expectations because they were very low.

It is refreshing to see a long term commitment in a pitcher or two, but this team will likely open the year with a payroll $30M lower than in 2010. A year from now we could see payroll drop further as Willingham and Correa will be off the books and we have a ton of rookies coming up. My verdict is this offseason also exceeded my expectations, but that was a very low hurdle. More should be done and it is clear the objective is to make money first and win second.

#28 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

The lack of position player free agent signings for the Twins is linked to the prospects coming up in the system. They can't really entice a free agent third baseman to sign while Sano is expected to come up in the next year or two. Second base appears to be filled at least for the next year based on Dozier's good second half last year. The outfield appears to be have too many players competing for too few spots, with several prospects working their way up through the minors. First base is filled until Mauer is gone. Catcher was addressed. The only position really open with no prospects coming up appears to be shortstop.

#29 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Spot on hit the nail right on the head. They hide behind "we're not gonna spend just to spend", then conveniently put it in their pockets. Guess what? This is minnesota. You have to overpay to attract free agents. And as I stated, they aren't anywhere near their 50-52%. Its all profit, baby.

#30 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

Spot on hit the nail right on the head. They hide behind "we're not gonna spend just to spend", then conveniently put it in their pockets. Guess what? This is minnesota. You have to overpay to attract free agents. And as I stated, they aren't anywhere near their 50-52%. Its all profit, baby.

What free agents are you thinking they should go after?