Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins Fantasy Camp - Jan 2014

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bennep

bennep

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...y-Camp-Jan-2014

#2 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Great article! This is on my bucket list (well, list of things to do before I can no longer run -- but hats off to the 81 year old gentleman who is in much better shape than I am).
I've always wondered how the interactions -- for lack of a better word -- are between the players and the Twins alums? In other words, were they all pretty cool, or were there some in it for the free room and whatever $ is in it for them? Not asking you to name names, by the way.

#3 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Good article. But the championship games weren't at Hammond. I really wanted to watch, but was informed they were at City of Palms, and no one could get in. Also couldn't get in to watch during the week. I usually watch this camp and get a kick out of it, as others do also, so to bad we were shut out.

#4 bennep

bennep

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

This year was different because of the Hammond Stadium renovations -- the camp was at Player Development Complex (old Red Sox complex) and big stadium games were at City of Palms -- these changes were made mid week

#5 bennep

bennep

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

The Alums range from good to great -- they are all good at interacting with the campers - time spent in the clubhouse/lunches/dinners are very quality. Many of them make themselves very approachable and willing to answer many different types of questions -- the cool part is many of them share the same interests as many of us -- talking with them about their fantasy football teams, etc. This group of "legends" are very unique!

#6 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,208 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Great article. Thanks for posting this.

It looks like there is a blue division and a red one. Is one division for the better players?

What is the range of skill/health levels?

#7 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

Would be a dream of an experience. To talk to Viola about game 7, 1987. To ask Hatcher about his world series HR in 1988. Maybe someday it'll happen for me!

#8 orangevening

orangevening

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

Viola is now AAA pitching coach for the Mets correct?

#9 bennep

bennep

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Great article. Thanks for posting this.

It looks like there is a blue division and a red one. Is one division for the better players?

What is the range of skill/health levels?

The camp takes the top 4 seeds and they do a 2 game playoff (Blue division) and then the next four seeds get to play in a 2 game playoff (Red division) -- seeds are determined by pool play during the week.
Youngest campers are around 25 -- oldest camper is 81 and average is upper 50's -- the skill level is all over the place, some very good ballplayers and many of the participants just LOVE baseball -- all skill levels have a great time!

#10 bennep

bennep

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

I believe he is still the A pitching coach for the Savannah Sand Gnats (last year that was his job) -- but yes, he is a coach in the Mets organization -- didn't get to ask him if he moved up to AAA but that is surely possible.

#11 bennep

bennep

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Confirmed from another camper -- Viola is going to Las Vegas to coach the AAA team there!

#12 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Alcohol Infused

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

This sounds like a dream vacation. Pure awesomeness.

#13 RichardJohnson

RichardJohnson

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Good article. Sounds like a great experience. What kind of physical shape do you need to be in to attend?

#14 RichardJohnson

RichardJohnson

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

anybody here

#15 bennep

bennep

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

Good article. Sounds like a great experience. What kind of physical shape do you need to be in to attend?

While it is a good idea to be in decent shape because from Mon-Thursday you play 14 innings per day -- each individual is different, the camp has some very "in shape" and young players -- and also the older guys who would be in shape for each given age -- skill and levels and ages are all across the board. I would say the average age of the camper is 55 and getting through the week without any strained muscles can be a challenge!! We do tell each other -- you have 51 weeks to rest up and heal until next year's camp!