Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Miguel Sano

miguel sano
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Birthday: May 11, 1993 (currently 18). Bats: Right, Throws: Right, Plays: 3B.
Height: 6-3, Weight (Listed): 195, Weight (Actual): 230ish.
Acquired: Signed as a free agent from Dominican Republic in October, 2009. Signing Bonus: $3.15 million.

2010 GCL Stats: .291/.338/.466 (.804) with 14 doubles, 4 home runs (41 games).
2011 ETown Stats: .292/.352/.637 (.988) with 18 doubles, 7 triples, 20 home runs (66 games).
2012 Beloit Stats: .310/.444/.707 (1.151) with 3 doubles, 1 triple, 6 home runs (17 games so far).

Baseball America Prospect Ranking: Pre-2010: 94, Pre-2011: 60, Pre-2012: 18

SethSpeaks.net Twins Prospect Ranking: Pre-2010: 1, Pre-2011: 1, Pre-2012: 1

Stats Pages: MiLB.com, Baseball Reference, Fan Graphs, First Inning, The Baseball Cube.

Movie Appearances: Pelotero, a documentary on him growing up in the Dominican as a baseball player.

Summary: The baseball world was surprised in late 2009 when the Twins were the team that Miguel Sano, the top prospect in the Dominican Republic in recent years, to a $3.15 million signing bonus. There were a lot of tests done in an attempt to show that Sano was not the 16-year-old that he claimed to be, but none of the tests proved that he was older. Tests were inconclusive. He has gradually moved up prospect rankings as he moves up the Twins organizational ladder.

Positives: His youth makes him incredibly intriguing as a prospect. His size and growth make him even more interesting. Sano has major power potential and some have compared his potential to Miguel Cabrera and Alex Rodriguez. Many, including LaVelle Neal of the StarTribune have referenced the way the ball jumps off of his bat. In 2011, he is walking at a career-high rate to this point.

Concerns: The Age situation. If it were to come out that he lied about his age, it would mean a 1-year suspension and affect his development. His contact rate. He is striking out almost 28% of his plate appearances right now in Beloit which is pretty high and an area he will need to improve. Defense. He has just three errors in 17 games so far, but many wonder whether he will be able to stay in the infield or if his future will be in the corner outfield positions or at 1B.

Interview with mlb.com's Jonathan Mayo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1MhmWLUuU

Attached Thumbnails

• Miguel Sano.jpg

Edited by Seth Stohs, 23 April 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Over at Puckett's Pond, Shawn Berg asked if it was too soon to bump Miguel Sano to Ft. Myers?

http://puckettspond....-to-fort-myers/

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Nope. Every non-college player, even Mauer has had to spend an entire year at Beloit, but they should abandon that philosophy for Sano. This organization needs excitement, even fans who aren't as in-tune with the going-ons of the farm will start getting excited when they hear about a top prospect moving through the system at a faster than expected rate. From a development standpoint, Sano obviously needs to work on contact and defense, but his master attribute, his power, has already proven to be worthy of the level he is currently at. He can work on his few defiiencies at the next level while testing his strength against better compitition. Besides, aren't most of the Twins instructional staff in Ft. Myers anyway? If they are, it seems odd that they wouldn't want the top players spending more time there. I'm sure he won't be promoted any time soon, the decision will still come down to player control. The Twins won't want to let him reach the majors before he is 21-22 regardless of how he is playing as they would rather have him under his 1st contract from his 22-27 years instead of the 20-25 years. I don't like it, but I understand it's about money. I just feel like they cheat the whole game by doing so. Ted Williams would not be part of the 500 HR club, Ken Griffey Jr. would not be part of the 600 HR club and Robin Yount would not be part of the 3000 hit club if they were made to wait until they were 21 to be called up. Sano likely isn't in their class, and he may not be ready in two years, but I don't think the club should stand in his way if he is.

#4 CwK

CwK

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Enlightening point, Nick. Such a shame

#5 shawntheroad

shawntheroad

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

nice points nick! I was looking at Sano as a unique case study and of course, i think the Twins "top" coaches are probably at Fort Myers.

#6 Yoshii

Yoshii

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Anyone have a guess on when Sano will be at the major league level?

#7 twinsfan214

twinsfan214

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

I would say he's already outclassing Beloit. Move him up now. Then maybe again if he continues to do well. Or skip him to Rochester next season. There's gotta be a way to excelerate his movement to the majors. I want to see him at TF soon. It seems he is a rare player, so I hope they don't treat him like the run-of-the-mill.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Anyone have a guess on when Sano will be at the major league level?

My guess... He'll spend all of 2012 in Beloit. Start 2013 in Ft. Myers but move up to New Britain in mid-June. Start 2014 in New Britain and be up by late 2014.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

Last night, Sano was 1-5. Since he was 6-9 the previous Thursday/Friday, he has gone 5-26 (.192). Then again, of those five hits, two are doubles and one is a triple. His updates season stats: .273/.417/.623 (1.040) with 5 doubles, 2 triples, 6 home runs and 19 RBI. Key Number, he has 29 strikeouts in 96 plate appearances, or one every 3.31 plate appearances.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

Sano is in USA Today this morning in an article about Bobby Valentine being the producer of Peletero. There is a nice 1:15 clip from the movie. I enjoy seeing all of the MLB stuff he wears in the small clip.

http://content.usato...bby-valentine/1

#11 Hogs2

Hogs2

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Where will Sano eventually end up playing in the majors. Third Base?

#12 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Today's Fred Rogers Mean Mean Pride

• Members
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

From what I have heard and read. He still projects as a third baseman, but not Shortstop. Here's hoping to that projection lasting for the long term!

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Here's hoping he can stay at 3B, and I think they can and should keep him there as long as they can. But most "experts" assume he'll move to a corner OF spot, or even 1B.

#14 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

First of all, I agree with Seth, the Twins should keep sending him out to play 3B as long as they think there's any chance he could develop enough skill there to be servicable at that position. That said, after watching him work out a little every spring in Ft Myers and then seeing him the past couple of nights in Cedar Rapids, I think he may have "DH" written all over him. Just doesn't seem terribly smooth out there. He still seems to be growing in to his body, though, and at just 19 yrs old, there's still plenty of time to get past that awkwardness.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#15 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

I agree that he should stay at 3B as long as possible. I think the next spot is RF, he moves ok and has a cannon. If that doesn't work, he'll end up at 1B... and then possibly DH. The whole story sounds very similar to the career path of Miguel Cabrera.

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

Miguel Sano Update - He is 9-16 in his last four games with 2 doubles, 2 HR and 9 RBI. Was hitting .262, and four games later, he's at .310. In tonight's games, he was 2-4 in each game, with a home run in each game.

#17 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

Sano caused a little bit of a "dust up" with his game winning HR in the nightcap Friday night. I was Tweeting about the HR and when I looked up, the benches had cleared and coaches/umpires were trying to keep the players separated and under control. Both benches got a warning. Here's the story (from the Cedar Rapids point of view, anyway):

http://thegazette.co...-home-run-pimp/
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

#18 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

Sano caused a little bit of a "dust up" with his game winning HR in the nightcap Friday night. I was Tweeting about the HR and when I looked up, the benches had cleared and coaches/umpires were trying to keep the players separated and under control. Both benches got a warning. Here's the story (from the Cedar Rapids point of view, anyway):

http://thegazette.co...-home-run-pimp/

Thanks for the link. Jamie Burke, I remember him with the White Sox. Small world.

#19 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

Jim, Thanks for the link to the article. A twin with an attitude, I wonder how long they will let that exist? I think we need a few more guys in the organization that have that attitude. I'm good and I'll prove it to you.

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Jim, Thanks for the link to the article.

A twin with an attitude, I wonder how long they will let that exist? I think we need a few more guys in the organization that have that attitude. I'm good and I'll prove it to you.

That won't be allowed, and it shouldn't. The Twins are very good about not letting that go. They don't let things like not running out pop-ups and ground balls go without a game off or something. Now, without having seen it, my guess is that Nelson Prada and Tommy Watkins will talk about how "bad" whatever Sano did was.

#21 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

If, indeed, Sano did "pimp" his HR, then I agree with Seth... that needs to be corrected. That said, what I really did like and would like to see more of at the Twins level, was the "I'm not going to take crap from you" attitude and the "We've got your back" reaction from Sano's teammates. Pimping the HR is childish and hopefully something Sano grows out of, but if, for whatever reason, an opposing player gets in your face, I want to see a guy stand up and I want to see teammates stand up with him.
[/COLOR]

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

If, indeed, Sano did "pimp" his HR, then I agree with Seth... that needs to be corrected. That said, what I really did like and would like to see more of at the Twins level, was the "I'm not going to take crap from you" attitude and the "We've got your back" reaction from Sano's teammates.

Pimping the HR is childish and hopefully something Sano grows out of, but if, for whatever reason, an opposing player gets in your face, I want to see a guy stand up and I want to see teammates stand up with him.

Agree with what you've got here, JC!

#23 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

I wasn't there, but we have to remember this article was written from the perspective of the opposing team. I would never encourage a player to show up a pitcher after a home run. A prime example would be Carlos Guillen, showboating around the bases agasint Jared Weaver last season. Under no cirmcumstances should that be tolerated, at any level of baseball. With that said, with the pace of your ordinary baseball game, you know things are said between dugouts throughout the game. It is a big moment for a player to hit a 2 run dinger in the 9th to take the lead. What is the appropriate amount of time to round the bases in such a situation. I'm sure it is percieved to be a different amount of time whether you are on the celebrating side or if you are in the opposing dugout. I guess we leave it to the Beloit coaching staff to be addressed or not.

#24 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

I wasn't there, but we have to remember this article was written from the perspective of the opposing team. I would never encourage a player to show up a pitcher after a home run. A prime example would be Carlos Guillen, showboating around the bases agasint Jared Weaver last season. Under no cirmcumstances should that be tolerated, at any level of baseball.

With that said, with the pace of your ordinary baseball game, you know things are said between dugouts throughout the game. It is a big moment for a player to hit a 2 run dinger in the 9th to take the lead. What is the appropriate amount of time to round the bases in such a situation. I'm sure it is percieved to be a different amount of time whether you are on the celebrating side or if you are in the opposing dugout. I guess we leave it to the Beloit coaching staff to be addressed or not.

I agree. The other thing you have to keep in mind is that the incident started when the Kernel catcher made a comment to Sano as he crossed home plate. If you've listened to the mlb.com interview Seth imbedded in this thread at the beginning, it's pretty clear that the guy has very, very limited command of the English language. I doubt Sano even understood what Baker said to him, but I'm sure the tone of voice wasn't exactly congratulatory. So maybe Sano just reacts to an opposing player getting snippy with him.

Anyway... minor league baseball is about teaching lessons and I'm sure if there was a lesson to be taught in this, the Snapper coaches will do so.
[/COLOR]

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

Sano was 2-4 tonight with his 9th home run. He is now hitting .306/.426/.658 (1.084) on the season. In his last seven games, he is 12-27 with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 11 RBI. On the other side of the ball, he does have 10 errors on the season as well.

#26 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Sano was 2-4 tonight with his 9th home run. He is now hitting .306/.426/.658 (1.084) on the season. In his last seven games, he is 12-27 with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 11 RBI. On the other side of the ball, he does have 10 errors on the season as well.

It took a-rod until the majors to gain much glove

#27 TwinsArmChairGM_Jon

TwinsArmChairGM_Jon

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

Whatever happened to Miguel changing his last name to Jean instead of Sano? I haven't once heard him referred to as Miguel Jean since he said he was changing it.

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

Whatever happened to Miguel changing his last name to Jean instead of Sano? I haven't once heard him referred to as Miguel Jean since he said he was changing it.

It hasn't been a topic for almost two years. It just kind of went away.

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

Happy 19th Birthday to Miguel Sano!!! Heading into his birthday, Sano is hitting .298/.409/.645 (1.055 OPS) with 9 doubles, 2 triples and 10 home runs. In 144 plate appearances, he has 20 walks and 40 strikeouts.

#30 enge0280

enge0280

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

I saw Sano is not playing in Beloit's game today. Does anyone know if it is a regular day off or if there is something else up? I don't know if he's missed a game yet this year so that could be it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano