Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Sano's Elbow To Be Re-Examined

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

I haven't been following this that closely, but weren't we led to believe everything was hunky-dory with Sano's elbow? Not according to this report, which is published on 1/6, though I'm not sure just how recently these quotes from Terry Ryan were made....

Ryan, who wouldn't pin a specific date for Sano to be checked out, said it's too early to rule out elbow surgery.

"I don't have any thoughts one way or another quite yet," Ryan said. "It's too early for me. I'm not hiding or skating. I just haven't got enough information to tell you exactly where he's at, but I should in the near future."

He also has some better news on Deduno. Can anyone who has been tracking this closer than I put this in context?

http://network.yardb...amined/15478484

#2 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:33 AM

Ryan said over a month ago that his elbow was being looked into. Does this now mean they are going to actually wait until spring practice opens to have him examined. How can a GM admit that a zillion $$ prospect has a physical ailment and he doesn't know anything? As much $$ as they have invested in this kid they should be flying half the Mayo Clinic down to the Dominican Republic to examine him.

#3 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

There really hasn't been much to follow. Since being shut down, he's been checked once and the team thought it was showing progress, he'd go on a throwing program in the DR and they'd check him again this month. Of course, TR isn't going to rule out surgery until he's given a clean bill of health. The real news will be after his next check up.

#4 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

Thanks. Helps clear up some concerns.

#5 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

I haven't seen anything of Deduno. I'm going over there shortly again and will look for him, or find out if he's been here throwing.

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

To me it sounds like everything is the same as last we checked in. Even if Ryan felt good about an upcomming diagnosis, it feels like he's hedging his bets in case he has to give everyone bad news.

Still, I want to swear and throw things; how frustrating. Hitters can recover from TJ surgery much sooner than pitchers, but still, even if it was needed and Sano went under the knife in February he wouldn't see a pitch all season at any level.

#7 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

It's cold over there today and eye watering windy. Madison Boer told me Deduno's been there but not yet today. I checked the weight room and 8 -10 guys were there working out. Familiar faces some, but every year I have a hard time placing names on most of these minor leaguers. Talked with Tommy Watkins and he said they're putting the lockers in now, so it looks good for MiL spring training to be held here.

#8 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

For everyone that wants to assume the worst, the Twins probably don't care if he needs surgery and is gonna miss the year, because they know MLB found out he stole someone's identity, is actually 24, and is going to be suspended all year anyway. Right?

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,546 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

I haven't been following this that closely, but weren't we led to believe everything was hunky-dory with Sano's elbow? Not according to this report, which is published on 1/6, though I'm not sure just how recently these quotes from Terry Ryan were made....

He also has some better news on Deduno. Can anyone who has been tracking this closer than I put this in context?

http://network.yardb...amined/15478484

Both of those are very old news. Likely they are both from early December. I have been following the Deduno story very closely (here is the chronicle of his injury and surgery) and the last thing the Twins said (exactly what mentioned in that link) was on December 9th. Silence after that.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

If you click "Read Full Story" at the bottom of that article, it takes you to an MLB.com article from Bollinger written on 12/10: http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ok_min&c_id=min

So, yeah. YardBarker. Pretty useful thing.

#11 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Well this was a rather unwelcome scare

#12 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

Sano is young enough that if he loses a season or even a half season it shouldn't matter, as long as he's ready to go in 2015, when the wave of the future should start taking over. And it would delay the starting of his clock, which some people seem to think is a big deal.

#13 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

Get Sano's butt to Fort Myers, get it looked at and get him out of the DR where they have no control over what happens to him

Its Sano's right to refuse this, but I can't believe that he would.

This is simple stuff here. I can't understand the Twins sometimes...

#14 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Per LEN, just today:

"Miguel Sano has arrived in Florida to work out in advance of spring training - but he won't be working out for awhile. He had a callous removed from one his feet and will not start workouts for a few days. But all indications are that everything is going well with him. He was shut down from winter ball this offseason because of a strained ligament in his elbow but the Twins say he has recovered."

#15 North Dakota Twins Fan

North Dakota Twins Fan

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:48 AM

Via Pioneer Press. Hoping this is an over reaction.

Twins general manager Terry Ryan said Tuesday that while the club doesn't think Miguel Sano (elbow) will require Tommy John surgery, it hasn't been ruled out. Advice: "That would be our hope," Ryan said of Sano avoiding surgery. "Right now we don't think it is (going to require surgery), but I can't tell you for sure until we crank him up a little more." An exam last month showed that the strained UCL in Sano's right elbow was coming along well, but he'll undergo another exam soon. Sano has a shot to make his MLB debut in 2014, but an operation on his elbow would threaten those chances.
All you need to know about North Dakota:

Economy is among best in nation because of Oil Boom.
You can play Blackjack for real money in bars here.
NDSU Bison good at football.
University of North Dakota good at Hockey.
Roger Maris and Phil Jackson (NBA coach) are from here.

#16 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

#17 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

It has been written fairly regularly over the years many are disturbed by the team's approach to health problems with their players especially as regards input from their own medical people on the payroll and outside physician input. When, if ever, will this situation be rectified?

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

In some ways, this isn't the worst news in the world. First, position players aren't really negatively impacted by TJS and they recover more quickly than their pitching brethren. That means Sano would be back and ready to play by Opening Day 2015. Second, that would put Buxton and Sano in lock-step with one another through their six years of service time.

Sure, nobody wants to see Sano go down for a season (or something close to a season) but this isn't disastrous news should it actually occur.

#19 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

In some ways, this isn't the worst news in the world. First, position players aren't really negatively impacted by TJS and they recover more quickly than their pitching brethren. That means Sano would be back and ready to play by Opening Day 2015. Second, that would put Buxton and Sano in lock-step with one another through their six years of service time.

Sure, nobody wants to see Sano go down for a season (or something close to a season) but this isn't disastrous news should it actually occur.

If Sano does in fact have the surgery, it would be another strange scenario that would hand Plouffe more undeserved playing time. I say that and instantly look at a player who in many ways was in the same position. Michael Cuddyer, somehow he kept finding a spot in the field with the Twins to keep getting at-bats, which eventually paid off. Now, i'm not saying Plouffe is Cuddyer, but i'd be pretty cool if he was able to be Sano's backup at 3B, a RH bat off the bench, backup 1B and a backup Corner OF.

(I can't exactly remember all the different things that seemed to happen that kept giving Cuddyer playing time, perhaps someone can refresh our memories)

#20 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

I certainly would give more credence to the direct Ryan quote above, but Len3 didn't make it sound very dire in his news and notes in attached link.

Len3: http://www.startribu.../239165491.html

#21 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

Sano undergoes TJ surgery.

Disclaimer: if you have no sense of humor don't click on the link.

Edited by Badsmerf, 08 January 2014 - 08:01 AM.
Trolling

Do or do not. There is no try.

#22 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Nobody gets a TJ if it's a strained ligament. Torn, yes. And sometimes a strain leads to a tear. But all indications are, they shut him down before it got worse. I buy what LEN3 said.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:33 AM

(I can't exactly remember all the different things that seemed to happen that kept giving Cuddyer playing time, perhaps someone can refresh our memories)

Cuddyer was a vastly superior player to Plouffe. That's why he continued to get playing time. Cuddy posted a .779 OPS as a 25 year old. He had a career .868 MiLB OPS.

Some of us weren't only confident in Cuddyer figuring it out, we were screaming for him to get more playing time from the get-go.

Plouffe, eh, not so much. He has a bit of potential but nothing like Cuddyer.

#24 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

I agree that Sano missing 2014 wouldn't be a complete disaster but I would be pretty disappointed about him missing that much development time. With his level of development and considerating he may be rusty, he may not debut until 2016. However I don't know that getting Sano and Buxton on the same arb schedule is the best thing. Staggering two possibly large extensions might be more beneficial financially and diplomatically should those two have an internal competition regarding who is the future of the franchise..

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

I agree that Sano missing 2014 wouldn't be a complete disaster but I would be pretty disappointed about him missing that much development time. With his level of development and considerating he may be rusty, he may not debut until 2016. However I don't know that getting Sano and Buxton on the same arb schedule is the best thing. Staggering two possibly large extensions might be more beneficial financially.

If both players pan out, I don't see how the Twins keep both. A decision will probably be made on one or the other anyway. At least if they're on the same service schedule, they're more likely to peak at the same time. Either way, I don't think it's a significant issue.

Yeah, it would suck if Sano missed that much development time, I'm just pointing out that it's not the end of the world.

#26 Kevin

Kevin

• Twins Writers
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

To clear up any confusion: Ligaments, which help hold joints together, when over-stretched, are sprained. Muscles and their attachments to bones, tendons, when over-stretched, are strained. When any of the above are stretched beyond a certain point, their fibres begin to tear.

#27 Rick Niedermann

Rick Niedermann

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

Joe's career as a first baseman might be short lived. But he can handle LF or RF. Very bad news on the prospect front with Sano's elbow and Rosario's suspension.

#28 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

If Sano does in fact have the surgery, it would be another strange scenario that would hand Plouffe more undeserved playing time. I say that and instantly look at a player who in many ways was in the same position. Michael Cuddyer, somehow he kept finding a spot in the field with the Twins to keep getting at-bats, which eventually paid off. Now, i'm not saying Plouffe is Cuddyer, but i'd be pretty cool if he was able to be Sano's backup at 3B, a RH bat off the bench, backup 1B and a backup Corner OF.

I'm hoping Plouffe can be valuable. He's had some nice surges of power/hitting. He's not a great defender but can at least fill in at the corners and in an emergency could be thrown at 2B/SS even if its not ideal. If he can OPS .700 to .750 and hit 15-20 homers a year, I like him as a solid bench option that plays 4-5 games a week at the corners/DH

#29 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

It has been written fairly regularly over the years many are disturbed by the team's approach to health problems with their players especially as regards input from their own medical people on the payroll and outside physician input. When, if ever, will this situation be rectified?

Totally agree.

Where's the thread about "Twins meds first underplay, only to reverse & blow diagnoses"?

Going forward, I wouldn't mind seeing a "DL Tracker" thread for the coming season.
Surely there has to be a fan here who is an MD or otherwise qualified med. prof. to offer informed opinions. Obviously, without an in-person exam, such a poster/admin could only offer an "outside opinion". Caveat granted.

This should be an area of interest, an there's the potential for stats to enter in. For many years now, I've had the suspicion that the Twins docs consistently lowball on severity of injury, but I'd love to see numbers & comps w/other teams' med staffs.

Otherwise, we're just left guessing on Sano and this type of injury report.
Same old, same old.
Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

#30 Doomtints

Doomtints

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

If R.A. Dickey can play without a UCL, Sano can too.

:go: