Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Twins "kicking the tires" on Garza

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Per MLBTR:

The Twins are once more kicking the tires on free agent starter Matt Garza, tweets Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN. Though the club has already committed $84MM to three free agent starters, it apparently remains active on the open market. (Wolfson tweets that the club is "still circling" on Bronson Arroyo, and he recently reported interest in Masahiro Tanaka.)

In mid-December, Wolfson reported that the Twins "know the price" for Garza. But if Garza has made his terms clear, so too have the Twins. Minnesota's position seems to remain the same, according to Wolfson: the club will put a lot of money on the table, but still will not commit to a lengthy term.

This would be utterly fantastic.

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

This would be the opposite of fantastic.

#3 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

I think Garza will be good for a few more years but I like that the Twins are holding firm on the years. I don't have confidence that his arm will hold up. We can afford to spend a lot short term and still have financial flexibility as the young kids come up to fill holes where ever they might be.

#4 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

I'm very surprised they wouldn't leave the fifth spot alone for some competition in spring training. If Garza were to come on board I wonder if they'd look to trade Correia.

I'd rather see them pursue a short-term center fielder.

#5 SpitefulRabbit617

SpitefulRabbit617

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Say we do sign Garza, what does that mean for our AAAA starters, package them to be sent to somewhere else? Its not like there are many spots in the bullpen really..... Maybe send some people to Korea to play, and I aint talking basketball for Rodman.

#6 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

This would be the opposite of fantastic.

Not sure how you could view it is anything other than good news if the Twins aren't calling to offer more years.

If we sign Garza and the deal is 3 years and 45 million, I'd be EXCITED.
Only issue would be the rest of our starting pitching, I'd be upset that we signed Pelfrey already.

SP: Garza, Nolasco, Hughes, Correia, Pelfrey
RP: Perkins, Burton, Fein, Duensing, Diamond, Worley, Swarzak
Twins would just use options for Thielbar, Pressley, Tonkin and Deduno would open up on the DL to rehab from his surgery.

#7 Dave T

Dave T

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

I think Terry Ryan would rather have Garza than Correia. Wouldn't you? I think this is great news.

#8 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

I'm very surprised they wouldn't leave the fifth spot alone for some competition in spring training. If Garza were to come on board I wonder if they'd look to trade Correia.

With Rajai Davis off the board, The Twins already have short-term CF options. Hicks and Pressly. Hicks could actually be an answer for that position until Buxton arrives. Don't give up on the guy. He has struggled his first year at each level his entire MiLB career. Pressly appears to be a serviceable 4th OF.

#9 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Question: has one pitcher, Tanaka, really held up FA for all the remaining SP on the market as teams scramble to bid for him? I mean, it's now past the first of the year, and arguably, the top three (American) FA SP's are still on the market, along with a fairly close 4th in Arroyo. There are also a few decent mid-rotation types available on the cheaper side as well. So is everyone really holding out for Tanaka, or are there enough questions about the remaining FA available based on reward vs financial demand that is slowing, and thusly, lowering the market?

I strongly advocate signing Garza, provided there isn't some pending physical condition worrying doctors and scouts. (Nothing concrete, but there have been small whispers) I have no problem at all with $15-16M per for him and what he brings. Now, anything beyond 3 years and an option or easy auto based on performance, or a possible guaranteed 4th year does bother me. I say to put the money on the table up front one way or another, but hold it to 3+ or 4 years max.

The Twins CAN afford this move. They ABSOLUTELY SHOULD make this move.

Correia can then be traded for a solid bench contributor or decent prospect. (Possible package scenarios apply here as well) Dont kid yourself, either now or sometime before the start of the season, probably during ST, Correia will be easily moveable to someone needing depth and innings and consistency from somewhere, either because they are short in the rotation to begin with, or due to injury or slow rehab for someone on their roster. He provides a track record, a solid year last year, short term commitment, no great financial commitment, and the Twins could even afford to pick up at least a portion of his contract to make said trade easier.

Now picture this rotation:
Garza
Nolasco
Hughes
Pelfrey
Deduno, (healthy) Gibson, Worley-Diamond winner. (Deduno out, Gibson with options)

Our bullpen pretty much as currently constructed. (Tonkin ready to move in)

And our position player roster/lineup pretty much as is/expected with a few battles: notably CF and LF with lead off considerations.

A few more million in FA/Correia trade to add, hopefully, a couple versatile bench players (Betemit & Baker anyone?) and the Twins are a nice mix of experience/proven players as well as young talent, roster flexibility, a balanced and solid bullpen no longer overworked, and the best rotation in years, with the oldest SP being what, 31?

I know injuries happen and can derail a season in any sport. Players at any position and any sport can suddenly lose it.

But you sign Garza to go along with what has already been done, add a couple more solid, relatively inexpensive role players like those mentioned, move Correia in some fashion, and look at what is now on the field and tell me this isn't the best, most interesting and competitive Twins team in years!

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Not sure how you could view it is anything other than good news if the Twins aren't calling to offer more years.

If we sign Garza and the deal is 3 years and 45 million, I'd be EXCITED.
Only issue would be the rest of our starting pitching, I'd be upset that we signed Pelfrey already.

SP: Garza, Nolasco, Hughes, Correia, Pelfrey
RP: Perkins, Burton, Fein, Duensing, Diamond, Worley, Swarzak
Twins would just use options for Thielbar, Pressley, Tonkin and Deduno would open up on the DL to rehab from his surgery.

Your issue is Pelfry and mine is Correia - if Garza is signed then I'm betting Correia is moved before ST.

Five free agent starters -- really??

Also, Gibson's progression in the minors shows that he's a quality pitcher who just needs some big league guidance. Also, news flash, Alex Meyer.

#11 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

For the most part that "competition" would be between a bunch of AAAA guys anyways (DeDuno- Who is prob hurt anyways, Diamond-AAAA, and the rest)

I think Gibson starts in AAA regardless this year, once he is ready either he will have a spot due to an injury, or the Twins can trade or cut bait with Correia when the time is ready.

You can never, ever, ever, have enough quality SP. If somehow DeDuno, Meyer and Gibson all prove to be effective in 2014, then you have a really nice problem on your hands.

#12 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationOceania

You can never have enough good pitching. At this point most of the starting pitching we have is very suspect. Sign him!

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#13 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Your issue is Pelfry and mine is Correia - if Garza is signed then I'm betting Correia is moved before ST.

Five free agent starters -- really??

Also, Gibson's progression in the minors shows that he's a quality pitcher who just needs some big league guidance. Also, news flash, Alex Meyer.

We had the worst rotation in the league last year, didn't we? Trying to make the rotation better doesn't bother me at all. When the pitching prospects are ready, that problem will work itself out. It really isn't a problem at all. We would have starting pitching to spare, and many teams are always looking for pitching.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#14 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Garza on a 3 year deal would be great. Excess SP is a very easy problem to resolve. I don't understand why anyone is worried about it at this point. Would it be safe to say the worst case scenario is we run Correia through waivers? Best case scenario would seem to be we get a c+ prospect. Anyone care to speculate on what we could get for Correia?

Edited by Major Leauge Ready, 02 January 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#15 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Correia could be moved within a week for a mid level prospect. Exchanging out Correia and adding Garza makes our rotation above average. With an above average pen we are looking mighty solid on that side of the ball.

I doubt it will happen, though.

#16 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

If they sign Garza, I have to believe Correia gets the Nick Blackburn treatment. Recall that Blackburn was DFAed and still collected his $5 mil a year to not pitch for the Twins. Ryan said there was not much trade interest in Correia at the winter meetings. So they must be willing to eat that contract if they still want in on Garza.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#17 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

If they sign Garza, I have to believe Correia gets the Nick Blackburn treatment. Recall that Blackburn was DFAed and still collected his $5 mil a year to not pitch for the Twins. Ryan said there was not much trade interest in Correia at the winter meetings. So they must be willing to eat that contract if they still want in on Garza.

Not much doesn't mean "none". I am pretty confident they could trade Correria to a number of teams for nothing more than a PTBNL and save the 5 million. Also, I still don't see the rush to DFA/trade him even if they sign Garza.

#18 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Not much doesn't mean "none". I am pretty confident they could trade Correria to a number of teams for nothing more than a PTBNL and save the 5 million. Also, I still don't see the rush to DFA/trade him even if they sign Garza.

Agreed, heck they could probably offer to send cash with him in order to get a little better prospect. OR package him with a prospect for a player we could use soon/now. I know there was conversation on here about packaging Willingham and Correia to the Mariners since they're very much in win now mode. That could/should actually net a decent prospect or two.

#19 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

I'm not interested in C+ prospects for Correia unless the Twins are 25 games out by the deadline or something. I'd rather see a rotation of Garza, Nolasco, Pelfrey, Correia, and Gibson/Deduno/Diamond with Hughes coming out of the pen, a role where he's been pretty excellent.

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,548 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

If we sign Garza and the deal is 3 years and 45 million, I'd be EXCITED..

Not happening at that price point.

This is less than Nolasco money and years. I think that it would take the same 4+1 years but at $17-18M per to sign Garza.

Still. I have a very hard time seeing Garza here while Gardy and Andy are running the ball club. Feel free to go back and refer to the published stuff by the press about Garza and GardyNAndy during his first stint here and make up your own minds...

For some reason I believe that this is a smoke-screen of some sort.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#21 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Still. I have a very hard time seeing Garza here while Gardy and Andy are running the ball club. Feel free to go back and refer to the published stuff by the press about Garza and GardyNAndy during his first stint here and make up your own minds...

None of it was bad at all, Gardy even said after they traded away Garza that he wished he had him back. Additionally, I am sure both sides have grown a bit over the last several years. IIRC people read wayyyyy to much into some pretty harmless quotes, the same folks who swore up and down the Twins would never get Perkins to play for them etc.

#22 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Not happening at that price point.

This is less than Nolasco money and years. I think that it would take the same 4+1 years but at $17-18M per to sign Garza.

For some reason I believe that this is a smoke-screen of some sort.

So to do 3+1 would $20-21M get it done? Or is the most guaranteed money always the winner?

#23 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

I like that the Twins are still getting after these guys prior to the Tanaka deal. Might be smart to get out ahead of that move when it finalizes. That said, Garzas camp is well aware of this too.

If they do get him, I guess I'll question the Pelfrey signing. That said, I'm in the camp that agrees they could flip Correia pretty easily if need be to open an additional roster spot. Pelfrey and/or Correia's salary isn't so huge that it limits him from being moved to the pen to make room for an Alex Meyer/Gibson/May either.

I'm all for a 4/60 + vesting option. I could see someone else giving him that guaranteed 5th year though.

#24 Musk21

Musk21

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

He's kicked his spitting habit, so I'm all for signing him if the price is right.

Garza developed something of strange reputation among watchful fans: he’s a chronic spitter. Garza said the reason he spit so often – as many as three or four times between pitches – was because he would lick his fingers after using the rosin bag behind the mound, then spit out the rosin. Garza explained to the Sporting News: “You try to keep your hand dry so you're able to control the baseball. But that's dry tree sap, you know? You try to lick tree sap and tell me if you like it or not.” Garza has recently kicked the habit because he says the rosin gave him heartburn.
If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

#25 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

Going after Garza would make sense if they are looking to continue to add to the team. I don't like a Garza signing as the final move of the offseason.

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Agreed, heck they could probably offer to send cash with him in order to get a little better prospect. OR package him with a prospect for a player we could use soon/now. I know there was conversation on here about packaging Willingham and Correia to the Mariners since they're very much in win now mode. That could/should actually net a decent prospect or two.

The Orioles are looking for depth at Starting Pitcher, a Closer to replace Johnson, possibly a LF (if Lough is envisioned as a 4th OF), a DH....all on an economy budget-> (Weiters is due to make $8M/JJ Hardy due $10M with already achieved incentive bonuses). Some combination of Correia/Perk/Plouffe/Willingham/(Rosario or Pinto) could net you some combination of Hardy/Weiters/one of the O's SP top-ten pitching prospects (Rodriguez?)/Position filler & salary relief guy like Reimold. Both teams would fill big holes with this deal, and it frees up some additional money for the Orioles to sign Kendrys Morales and possibly go more aggresively after an additional front-line SP.

#27 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

Garza does cost a high #2 Draft pick...

Plus salary.

And if he's anywhere near $20M...I'm sure the Twins will wait for the Tanaka fall-out before they sign him.

But then again, Garza's camp is likely waiting for that too.

#28 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Garza wasn't offered a qualifying offer. He was traded mid-season so he was ineligible to receive one.

#29 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

Plus salary.

And if he's anywhere near $20M...I'm sure the Twins will wait for the Tanaka fall-out before they sign him.

But then again, Garza's camp is likely waiting for that too.

I am pretty sure Garza does not require draft pick compensation.

Oops. JP3700 beat me to the draw.

#30 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

I'm beginning to think one more big signing puts the Twins in win now mode!