Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Top '13 Stories: #10 Brian Dozier Breaks Through

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:10 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-Breaks-Through

#2 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:48 AM

Dozier is a solid 2B but with guys like Rosario and Polanco in the system it's hard to say who is 2B of the future but it's always nice to have options.

#3 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

If Dozier can repeat last year (minus May) for the next half decade he is more than just a "solid" 2B. He would be one of the best in baseball.

#4 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,993 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

He wasn't called back up to the majors in September, and the experience stung Dozier enough that he went right to work when the season ended. He played winter ball in Venezuela to get experience at second base, spent time with left fielder Josh Willingham at his ranch in Alabama and worked with Paul Molitor on second-base fundamentals at the University of Minnesota.

Gotta love that attitude.

http://www.twincitie...r-second-chance

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,089 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

I like Dozier a lot. He signed a baseball for me two straight years in Spring Training. He seems to have found a home at second and it makes Polanco and perhaps Rosario expendible. My worry is that the power just isn't going to be sustained. I do believe he'll get on more and will continue to be a fine fielding 2B. I think it might be wise to have a little bit older guy when all of the really young guys show up, so it might be very wise to keep Dozier and cashier one of the up and coming second sackers.

#6 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'll admit to being a fan... late '13, there were few rays of light, and Dozier was one of them. His FP is right up there with the best in MLB at his position, and the Twins love the glove.

So do I, but I love a good bat, too.

He showed some power and turned in some good at-bats during the season. Twins simply do not have *anything* when it comes to clutch hitting (makes me crazy) but there were tantalizing flashes here and there. If he can hook up with Molly and put it together at the plate in '14, then he can write his own ticket.

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'm curious to see if we get "Power Dozier" or "OBP Dozier" next year. The power thing was so new it'll be interesting to see if it continues. At least, at rock bottom, we know we have a damn good fielder.

#8 Sleestax

Sleestax

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

Dozier is the 2nd basemen of the future. He is there and producing. Rosario screwed us.
I think our trade chips are pitchers now...and Rosario was a better trade chip.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

how did rosario screw us?

#10 TheBigGuy7273

TheBigGuy7273

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

As little as the chance may be, Dozier can still be moved back to short. As well I would bet that Dozier continues to improve, if he can somehow hit .275 or better, the twins will be in pretty good shape weather he's playing short or second.

#11 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

how did rosario screw us?

Maybe "screwed" is a strong word, but any time a developing player gets a major ban he costs himself and his org. a lot IMO. Not saying he's not allowed a mistake here and there, or that I can't look past it down the road, but it still stings quite a bit right now, no?