Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Max Kepler - My Adopted Prospect

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#31 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

This guy was supposedly very raw and his skill set was based on athleticism. That's why I was surprised today when I saw his BB/K numbers.

20BB/15k in 143 PA? That is very impressive. That kind of plate presence often leads to quick promotions.

This and the fact that he has started to hit for some power is making me like him more and more. I would love to see him promoted sooner than later to see what he can do in a league that isn't so hitter friendly.

#32 Obie

Obie

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

2015 position players:

Aaron Hicks, RF
Max Kepler, LF
Joe Mauer, C
Miguel Sano, 1B
Oswaldo Arcia, DH
Trevor Plouffe, 3B
Joe Benson, CF
Brian Dozier, SS/2B
Levi Michael, 2B/SS

X

Michael is very questionable. Rosario is much more likely.

#33 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Interesting note from Terry Ryan on Kepler: "He can play CF, but he's also been playing 1B for us." I'd heard in the spring, he'd be working out at 1B, but he hasn't played an inning yet at 1B in a game (according to baseball-reference.com)

#34 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

Interesting note from Terry Ryan on Kepler:

"He can play CF, but he's also been playing 1B for us."

I'd heard in the spring, he'd be working out at 1B, but he hasn't played an inning yet at 1B in a game (according to baseball-reference.com)

This could be so that they have some flexibility in the future since there are a lot of OF'ers and very few 1B prospects. If a 1Bman is athletic enough it's easy to move to the OF and learn to run down flyballs but it's not as easy to learn to play the infield. It's a very different skillset.

#35 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

Today, in Buxtons debut game for Appy League E-Town Twins. Max Kepler (and A.B. Walker) stole the show. Kepler went 4-4, HR (8) , 2B (12) and SB (5) !!! great game for max today, and he's now batting in the .290 range.

Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+) 2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AAA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-A) 5. J.O. Berrios (P-AA) 6.Nick Gordon (SS-RK)  7. Chih-Wei-Hu (SP-A+)  8. Jorge Polanco (2B-AA)  9. L. Thorpe (SP-A) 10. *Trevor May (SP-AAA) 11.Nick Burdi (RP-A) 12.Travis Harrison (OF-A+) 13.Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A+)   Just Missed :P P Tyler Duffey, P Jake Reed, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#36 rickyhawaii

rickyhawaii

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Kepler should get promoted soon, got to love what he's doing and his potential. He should definitely be a top 50-100 prospect in all of MLB.

#37 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,484 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

If Kepler is promoted to Beloit, then he can bat after Rosario and Sano -- a young murderers' row for pitchers.

#38 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,025 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

I'd leave Kepler right where he is until at least after the E-Town playoffs. He's still be able to play in the Midwest League playoffs. Twins did that with Deibinson Romero and Rene Tosoni last time the Snappers made the playoffs. Kepler is putting up encouraging numbers, but he's so young and so raw, and it's not like he's putting up Arcia, Rosario or even Sano numbers in E-Town.

#39 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

I'd leave Kepler right where he is until at least after the E-Town playoffs. He's still be able to play in the Midwest League playoffs. Twins did that with Deibinson Romero and Rene Tosoni last time the Snappers made the playoffs.

Kepler is putting up encouraging numbers, but he's so young and so raw, and it's not like he's putting up Arcia, Rosario or even Sano numbers in E-Town.

I agree with what I assume was your main point; Kepler will not be ranked in the top 100 prospects lists. However, he is 19 this year in E-Town the same age as Arcia/Rosario and a year older than Sano was. So he isn't exactly young any more (compared to his competition at least). You're right he isn't putting up Arcia/Rosario/Sano numbers but he isn't that far off at this point either. His OPS is .019 less than Sano's was. He is definitely having a very good year and should move up the Twins prospect lists I would think.

#40 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

Congratulations to my adopted prospect, Max Kepler, as well as Elizabethton teammate Candido Pimentel on being named to the 2012 Appalachian League All-Star team. Pimental was also named 2012 Appy Player of the Year!

http://www.milb.com/...t=.jsp&sid=l120

#41 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

In today's fangraphs chat:
"Which prospect would you put more stock in: Bubba Starling or Max Kepler? Both have athleticism for days, Kepler currently has better numbers and is also a year younger but is also repeating the level........ "
Newman: "I'd rather have Kepler. Hands down."

Pretty interesting. Starling was BA #24 after he was picked 5th in the loaded 2011 draft.

#42 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Max final numbers
59gms 232ABs .297/.387/.539 40runs 16doubles 5triples 10HR 49rbi 33k 27bb 7/7sb's
finished first in Slgg & Total Bases
2nd in OPS, triples & RBI
Tied 4th in HR/doubles
6th in OBP
9th in BAve, tied 9th in runs

Will be nice to see how he rates this offseason in the top 100.....definately outperformed Bubba

#43 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

Max final numbers
59gms 232ABs .297/.387/.539 40runs 16doubles 5triples 10HR 49rbi 33k 27bb 7/7sb's
finished first in Slgg & Total Bases
2nd in OPS, triples & RBI
Tied 4th in HR/doubles
6th in OBP
9th in BAve, tied 9th in runs

Will be nice to see how he rates this offseason in the top 100.....definately outperformed Bubba

Yeah, I linked the fangraphs guy b/c that was the first time I'd seen someone suggest Kepler higher than Starling (and later in the chat he suggested Buxton was a lot higher than Starling). I don't think Kepler will be on any top 100 lists next year but it's good to see him get some recognition. Nice season for a lot of Twins prospects this year.