Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: We Lost Jeff Francis! (Yawn.)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...rancis!-(Yawn-)

#2 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Funny John. You mentioned Jeff Francis as one of your targets during a Gleeman and the Geek podcast.

#3 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

Also, I love how people like to point out Francis's fastball velocity (which sucks, yeah, I know) but it was about as effective as Edwin Jackson's 95+ fastball. What's more is that Francis has been more valuable -WAR wise - than Roy Oswalt.

http://overthebaggy....ings-begin.html

#4 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

There's a difference between accepting a guy as an inning-eating fifth starter and grumping about missing out on a guy. Francis falls in that spread. If the overall point is that the Twins overpaid for Jason Marquis, I agree, and I thought that at the time. That's the danger of the Twins "propose an open offer and sign the guy that takes it" method: the guy that takes is the guy you overvalued the most relative to the market. I'd claim the Twins have overpaid for half of the guys they've picked up this offseason: Carroll, Capps & Marquis. But I think they got bargains on the other half: Doumit, Zumaya & Willingham. So I don't know that I can criticize them too vehemently on their strategy. BTW, good story. I'm couldn't help but wonder exactly how slow Francis' changeup (his primary offspeed pitch) must be to offset an 84mph fastball. And while the two players' fastballs might be equally effective, the pitchers themselves certainly weren't. It isn't that big a spread between an eight-figure salary and retirement, apparently.